Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Looks like Hamas has won the Palestinian elections

Palestinian PM and government quits, Hamas heading for victory

Oh the joys of democracy!

But wait... what's this?
Israel, the US and the EU consider Hamas a terrorist group and have said they do not want to deal with it.

It's fucking brilliant isn't it. We tell all those barbaric Arabs that they must embrace democracy, that it is the only way forward, that we will even bomb them to fuck to make them embrace democracy, and when one country does just that we tell them "Er... no. You don't understand. Democracy is good but so long as you vote for the people we tell you."

What a shining example we in the West give to the world. They must have a really high opinion of us...
Beep boop. I'm a bot.

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    It's not good news...
  • Options
    No it's not good news but it's the will of the people and I hope the West will be pragmatic and negotiate.

Hamas leaders have actually said on on interviews several times recently that they would be happy to drop all their claims regarding the destruction of Israel, etc, for real negotiations involving the full and complete withdrawal from occupied Palestine (as per countless UN resolutions). It's now time for all sides to drop the bullshit and get to work.
  • Options
    It's not good news...

I think quite the opposite, at least now they will be accountable to the people they say they represent.
  • Options
    it is pretty worrying, because hamas are very extreme i can't see any how exactly they are going to negotiate with anybody......i love bush's quote about political parties though...........

"A political party, in order to be viable, is one that professes peace, in my judgment, in order that it will keep the peace," Mr Bush told the Wall Street Journal.

:lol: of course mr bush, that peace loving war president.......the average person has such a short memory that politics is no more than a sorry joke.

ETA: another quote from the article above.....

"I'm a war president. I make decisions here in the Oval Office in foreign policy matters with war on my mind," he said.

says it all really......
  • Options
    Oh dear...

well I hope that there is an end to the conflict in sight, and that it doesnt involve the US setting up a puppet government there.
  • Options
    _41258896_hamas203.jpg

Do you think the apparent flames are accidental?
  • Options
    Fiend_85 wrote:
    _41258896_hamas203.jpg

Do you think the apparent flames are accidental?

*saves this picture for the next time someone suggests the BBC is pro-Palestinian* :rolleyes:
  • Options
    bongbudda wrote:
    I think quite the opposite, at least now they will be accountable to the people they say they represent.

as in what happened in NI, which imo actually helped gradually reduce all the violence (even though quite a lot of violence exists, its more petty gang activity)
  • Options
    as in what happened in NI, which imo actually helped gradually reduce all the violence (even though quite a lot of violence exists, its more petty gang activity)

Sort of, that was certainly a factor. But largely we just paid off the Catholics in NI, we paid for them to have jobs, better housing, basically so that they would have some stake in the community, something to loose if they got involved in terrorism.

Democracy is a total joke in NI, not only are the voting bondaries really dodgy but they havent even had elected representatives for ages.
  • Options
    Bong i really dont think you have grasped NI political status

I'm putting it grossly simplisticly of course.
  • Options
    I think this could be a Northern Ireland situation, but then again, Arafat and the PLO were just terrorists who turned political and nothing came of that...except break away groups like Hamas.

Thinking about this in a purely strategic perspective, Israel should embrace Hamas as the Palestinian government, they really should in a big way, like proper full on say it is great, back on the road map to peace and all that crap, then the next time a single suicide bomber or terrorist action of any kind occurs, if any elements of Hamas claim responsibility for it, Israel have a ready made excuse to declare actual legal war against an attacking enemy for the first time ever in dealing with the Palestinians.

But thankfully, nee jerk reactions all round from Israel, USA and Europe, so no legal wars at all!
  • Options
    Arafat and the PLO were just terrorists who turned political

As were a fair number of Israeli leaders (Ben Gurion, Begin, Rabin, Sharon, etc.). The modern state was founded on acts of terrorism, it just had more international collaboration and better PR to subsequently whitewash it from public attention.
    Israel have a ready made excuse to declare actual legal war against an attacking enemy for the first time ever in dealing with the Palestinians

As opposed to the undeclared illegal war they have been waging, non-stop, against Palestinians since before the state itself became an official entity?
  • Options
    Exactly! Only they wouldnt have to hold back if the official Palestinian government could be linked to acts of terror, they could actual whipe Israel completely of the map and drive out every palestinian from their boarders. Well they could have...they can not now because they are opposed to a Hamas government.
  • Options
    Teh_GerbilTeh_Gerbil Posts: 13,332 Born on Earth, Raised by The Mix
    Aladdin wrote:
    It's fucking brilliant isn't it. We tell all those barbaric Arabs that they must embrace democracy, that it is the only way forward, that we will even bomb them to fuck to make them embrace democracy, and when one country does just that we tell them "Er... no. You don't understand. Democracy is good but so long as you vote for the people we tell you."

What? You actually think we a pro democracy? We are pro-people-we-control-getting-voted-in democracy only. If someone with an OPINION gets voted in, oh no! That can't happen! Why do you think the only democratically elected Marxist leader was promtly assasinated by the US?

Hamas getting in isn't good, but it made me chuckle. The Israeli's vote for a practically Facist bunch of people... the Palestinians vote for Terrorists.

Heheheh.
  • Options
    Since Hamas will probably form the next government the international community must respond by cutting all links unless Hamas renounces its support for the destruction of Israel, its support for violence and apologises for the mass murder of so many innocent people.

In the past when Hamas were not even in government EU aid to the Palestinians has been used to fund terrorist attacks. With Hamas in government it’s a certainty that international aid to the Palestinians will be used for the purpose of terror. In order to more effectively help Palestinians as well as avoid funding bloodshed and murder the international community must support the Palestinians solely through international aid and development charities that operate in the region; giving money directly to the regime cannot be an option.

It’s interesting that while Israel under Sharon and hopefully a future Kadima-led coalition has been willing to make extensive compromises, its acting Prime Minister even boldly stating that Israel ‘has to withdraw further’ (link) the Palestinians are busy sowing the seeds for yet more bloodshed and terror by through the ballot box supporting a fundamentalist and extreme terrorist organisation responsible for killing scores of innocent civilians. I reserve my support and sympathy exclusively for the Palestinians that have not endorsed the vicious programme of Hamas.
  • Options
    Or freedom fighters, depending on your perspective. ;)
  • Options

Ooh, you resisted a temptation for a big rant on the situation, well done! :D

And yes... it's the old Terrorist/Feedom Fighter debate... I'd say they are both. (Think America will invade Palestine next as well? Iran.. or Palestine?)
  • Options

How can those that organise suicide bombs, directing them to cause the maximum possible carnage always deliberately targeting innocent civilians – sometimes specifically children and teenagers be called freedom fighters?

If they exclusively targeted Israeli soldiers you might have a point. But they don’t.
  • Options
    How can those that organise suicide bombs, directing them to cause the maximum possible carnage always deliberately targeting innocent civilians – sometimes specifically children and teenagers be called freedom fighters?

If they exclusively targeted Israeli soldiers you might have a point. But they don’t.

:lol: Erm... in that case, we were Terrorist during WW2! We didn't target only German Military instalations! SHOCK HORROR! War Costs Civilian Lives! HEADLINES! NOW!

I don't think there has EVER been a battle that has ONLY cost military Lives. The Israeli's have killed FAR more Civilians anyway, whats your point?
  • Options
    its support for violence and apologises for the mass murder of so many innocent people

Ah, like your apologies for the unceasing mass murder and dispossession of generations of Palestinians by Israel perhaps? No, of course, for Israel it's always "self defence". Funny how that principle isn't similarly accorded to Palestinians against perpetual Israeli collective punishments regardless of the overwhelmingly disproportionate body count on the Palestinian side from Israeli bombardments and sniper attacks year after year after year.

Hypocrisy is the Zionists' last refuge.
    It’s interesting that while Israel under Sharon and hopefully a future Kadima-led coalition has been willing to make extensive compromises

Another media-assisted PR sham. Unilateral withdrawal from Gaza in order to declare no negotiation on further land conscriptions in the West Bank as well as a host of other items necessary for any lasting peace (again, never the intent of the Zionist ideology) is no "compromise" whatsoever. Just more lies.
    support and sympathy exclusively for the Palestinians that have not endorsed the vicious programme of Hamas

Your routine apologies for Israel's ongoing atrocities shows the depth of sincerity of your support and sympathy. Doubtful these faceless non-Hamas supporting Palestinians of which you speak will fare any better when the apaches and snipers and artillery resume their indiscriminate slaughters in the days, weeks, months and years to come.

Spare us your crocodile tears.
  • Options
    the Palestinians are busy sowing the seeds for yet more bloodshed and terror by through the ballot box supporting a fundamentalist and extreme terrorist organisation responsible for killing scores of innocent civilians.
    Isn't that exactly what the Israelis did when they voted Ariel Sharon into power?
  • Options
    Isn't that exactly what the Israelis did when they voted Ariel Sharon into power

Or, as previously mentioned, a fair number of former terrorist leaders of the Irgun, Stern Gang and Hagana. Its only "terrorism" to the Zionist if they receive back what they have perpetrated on hapless Palestinians with impunity for decades.
  • Options
    Surely all this measuring dicks about who suffered most whowhatwherenow misses the fundamental point that no one should be picking up weapons and pushing others about?

To say that one group of killers, thieves and liars is somehow "better" than another set misses the point a bit.
  • Options
    Teh_Gerbil wrote:
    :lol: Erm... in that case, we were Terrorist during WW2! We didn't target only German Military instalations! SHOCK HORROR! War Costs Civilian Lives! HEADLINES! NOW!

I don't think there has EVER been a battle that has ONLY cost military Lives. The Israeli's have killed FAR more Civilians anyway, whats your point?

Indeed. Although lets remember the Palestinians count suicide bombers themselves as ‘victims’ in their death counts – and lets also remember that the Israeli death count is reduced because of the frequent terrorist attacks that are foiled and prevented by the IDF. It’s indisputable fact that the Palestinians have tried to kill more Israelis than they’ve succeeded in doing. Lets also contrast the intentions, most deaths resulting from Israeli actions have been in the legitimate aim of stopping terrorism.

Also despite the wealth of the Palestinian Authority and aid given to it instead of investing in healthcare much of the PA’s funds are diverted to Swiss bank accounts and terrorist activities. It’s also worth mentioning that there have been documented cases where Palestinian hospitals have refused to send patients to Israel; even when Israel has offered free medical treatment and transport.
  • Options
    Disillusioned and Clandestine -

So you both support murder, as long as it's on the right side?
  • Options
    Aladdin wrote:
    Isn't that exactly what the Israelis did when they voted Ariel Sharon into power?

No. Sharon supports/supported a Palestinian state; he was in favour of the Roadmap for Peace and was willing to make huge sacrifices in accordance with that. Sharon withdrew from Gaza and hinted at further withdrawals in the West Bank and the present acting Prime Minister has also expressed support for that belief. (Hamas meanwhile hate the idea of two states living in peace side by side and instead want to destroy Israel).
  • Options
    most deaths resulting from Israeli actions have been in the legitimate aim of stopping terrorism

The stock in trade made for media PR, regurgitated to perfection.

Truth: create the fiction that all Palestinians are "terrorists" so you can continue the longrunning ethnocide with impunity.
  • Options
    klintock wrote:
    Disillusioned and Clandestine -

So you both support murder, as long as it's on the right side?

I don’t ‘support murder.’

However – I believe Israel has a valid right to protect itself and its population. The IDF is valid in attacking terrorists that seek to kill Israeli civilians, it’s simply a matter of self-defence. That’s something completely different to Palestinian terrorists blowing up a group of teenagers in a nightclub or a mother and her baby shopping at a market.

IDF soldiers don’t wake up in the morning with a desire to kill Palestinians. They don’t want to kill people. A Palestinian suicide bomber in a shopping mall, in a restaurant, on a bus – has a single aim – to kill the maximum number of Jews as possible. (Although that’s their aim Palestinian suicide bombers have killed many Arab-Israelis too – which makes it therefore pretty surprising that some anti-Semitic Muslims support suicide bombers).
  • Options
    I don’t ‘support murder.’

However – I believe Israel has a valid right to protect itself and its population. The IDF is valid in attacking terrorists that seek to kill Israeli civilians, it’s simply a matter of self-defence. That’s something completely different to Palestinian terrorists blowing up a group of teenagers in a nightclub or a mother and her baby shopping at a market.

IDF soldiers don’t wake up in the morning with a desire to kill Palestinians. They don’t want to kill people. A Palestinian suicide bomber in a shopping mall, in a restaurant, on a bus – has a single aim – to kill the maximum number of Jews as possible. (Although that’s their aim Palestinian suicide bombers have killed many Arab-Israelis too – which makes it therefore pretty surprising that some anti-Semitic Muslims support suicide bombers).
    how do you think the paestinians should protect their land then?
  • Options
    The IDF is valid in attacking terrorists that seek to kill Israeli civilians

Does this involve killing people?

Then it's murder.
    it’s simply a matter of self-defence.

Murder in self defence is still murder.
    That’s something completely different to Palestinian terrorists blowing up a group of teenagers in a nightclub or a mother and her baby shopping at a market.

Murder is murder, no matter the reason.
    IDF soldiers don’t wake up in the morning with a desire to kill Palestinians.

Different motivations for murder, don't stop it being murder. If I kill you for a loaf of bread, your just as murdered as if I kill you for stepping on my lawn.
    A Palestinian suicide bomber in a shopping mall, in a restaurant, on a bus – has a single aim – to kill the maximum number of Jews as possible.

Kill one, kill many, it's still murder.
    (Although that’s their aim Palestinian suicide bombers have killed many Arab-Israelis too – which makes it therefore pretty surprising that some anti-Semitic Muslims support suicide bombers).

Killing the wrong target is still murder.

So, do you support murder as long as it gets you what you want or is on what you see as the "right side"?

There's no shame in saying it if that's what you think, I'll just mark you down as a sociopath and pray you find the help you need.