Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨

A great idea from Cameron

2»

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Years older than me too, mate! ;)
    and that is quite comforting.
    i can watch it all go up in flames having had my pie.
    my kids ...and grandchildren i worry about ...but they know the score.
    i think my entire family ...all sides and shades of it ...are heading to the countryside ...not all of them in the uk.

head for the hills folks ...theres a big storm coming.
    One major reason I never had kids and dont ever intend to. I wouldnt want any progeny of mine to have to deal with what's coming.
    One major reason I never had kids and dont ever intend to. I wouldnt want any progeny of mine to have to deal with what's coming.
    i was hoping someone would have accused us of being depressing by now.
    Ive been accused of worse on these boards lol.
    “The Bush-Cheney White House has presided over aggregate budget deficits of some $1.5 trillion, an aggregate merchandise trade deficit of yet another $1.5 trillion, an increase in total national debt of some $2 trillion, a 38% decline in the trade-weighted exchange value of the U.S. dollar, depletion of all inherited accrued fiscal reserve balances, as well as all contingency reserve accounts of all federal agencies, sold some $5 billion worth of metals, minerals, fuels, fibers and food stuffs from the so-called national strategic stockpiles without the required congressional approval, drawn down (since March 2001) about 2900 metric tons of gold from the national gold reserves, completely depleted the national silver reserves without prior consent of Congress, depleted what little remaining cash balances were left in the nation's 42 public trust funds."

The American budget and trade deficits consume over 80 percent of the entire world’s savings.
    The chief economist of Morgan Stanley, Stephen Roach says that America has no better than a ten percent chance of avoiding economic “Armageddon.”
    The seeds of destruction are there. Because the Federal Reserve has taken such great measures to prevent the fall, when it comes it will be far worse than anyone expects. It will also be world wide. It will be ten times worse than the chaos of the Great Depression now that people are off the farm and crowded into cities where the amount of food and essential goods available will last just a matter of days before running out. The panic will be horrendous. The government will save the day by herding people off to work camps or into military service for the maintenance of the Empire.
  • Teh_GerbilTeh_Gerbil Posts: 13,332 Born on Earth, Raised by The Mix
    Whats worse is, when it hits... we cant provide for ourselves anymore! So mcuh food is imported... and our industry and stuff is in bloody China, and we won't be able to afford to buy from them, but there will bo no option... the debt will be huge!

And then no-one will buy from China... so they will suffer, and probably conquer a few places while we are to weak to do anything about it.
    Jim V wrote:
    Btw, you can force people to vote - many countries do - ever wondered why there's so many queues around the Australian embassy in the UK on Australian election day?

...but I digress
    Not really. You can make it illegal not to vote but you still can't force someone to vote.

It is illegal not to vote in my boyfriend's country but he has still never voted.

Also, they can never stop you ruining your ballot paper or posting it in the box blank.
    some of the predictions of the inevitable are quite scary.
    ...hey a late night spooky stories thread this is turning into but ...scarier than any hollwood job ...

heres one ...
    One reason analysts fear the upcoming depression will be harsher than the first is that our social fabric is weaker. This isn't the Waltons' era," observes Witherstein. "The nuclear family and 'neighborliness' are relics of the past. This time, Americans will be pitted against each other in a dog-eat- dog battle for survival."

Some of the chilling consequences foreseen by the study:
    Banks will foreclose on mortgages nationwide, making millions of Americans homeless.
    A bankrupt government will cease to issue Social Security checks. *Hyperinflation will render paper money worthless.
    With no funding, public schools will close their doors.
    Jobless Americans will resort to widespread looting. "Picture desperate mobs smashing their way into malls like those zombies in Dawn of the Dead,"Witherstein predicts.
    Is it just me or did it all get a bit dramatic last night. Enjoyed reading the rant though.