Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨

need 2 take the right A-level subjects!

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
edited March 27 in Work & Study
yo peeps!
rite here's my problem, im a gcsc student, who wnts 2 do medicine @ uni, but the problem is im rele not sure wat A-level subjects i need 2 take. i was thinkin of takin biology, chemistry, maths n IT, but after tlkin 2 a teacher e recommended i need 2 take physics, so then i thought i wud take biology, physics, chemistry n maths. but then i realised i cudnt do those all those @ once, its 2 much wrk! n personally i h8 maths! but if its needed ill do it, so i need 2 kno frm u peeps if i do need maths 2 do medicine.
here r sum options i wud take 4 A-levels:
biology, chemistry, maths, it
or, physics,chemistry, maths, it
or, physics, chemistry, maths, it
or physics,chemistry, biology, maths
or finally, physics,chemistry,biology, it.
these r my choices, if there is ne other better choices please do tell me.
so please im in a real dilemma, wiv the application forms 2 b due in bout 2 weeks, so please reply!!
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Take maths definately! If you suddenly change your mind about the future half way through the course - maths is what will get you onto anything!
    IT may be interesting but for medicine i wouldnt imagine it that helpful.
    Chemistry and biology are most likely a must for what you want to do but i would reccomend going to meet with some of the lecturers at college and discussing what you want to do in the future, they will be able to help you a lot more than any of us can and they can also help you decide if whatever course they teach is for you or if there are any other courses better suited.
    Edit: Forgot to mention - You will need at least a C in GCSE english as well for pretty much any uni course so if you dont get it at school then i'd recommend taking it again alongside your first year at college
  • JsTJsT Posts: 18,268 Skive's The Limit
    English.
    It's probably a good idea to talk to your careers adviser.
    JsT wrote:
    English.

Seconded. Then at least you could learn how to spell.

No-one likes text talk here. Please don't use it.
    JsT wrote:
    English.
    I concur whole-heartedly.

Mate your post hurt my eyes so much I didn't want to read it. It depends where you want to go to Uni for medicine, have you look at what they want from you? because that is really what should dictate your choices now.
    Seconded. Then at least you could learn how to spell.

No-one likes text talk here. Please don't use it.

To be fair, it's not really spelling that's the problem here.

I agree with the second part though.

I'd say you'd be well-covered if you got A Levels in all 3 Sciences and also one in Maths. Biology, Chemistry, IT and Maths would be alright too, though as icey said I'm not sure IT to that level would be a huge advantage (although it's by no means a disadvantage).

Speak to a Careers Adviser, definitely, they'll know more than we do.
    Look here for an example. This is YOUR problem to find this sort of information.
    I have just got an offer for medical school (Liverpool) and I am currently finishing my final year at college.

I studied chemistry, biology, maths and psychology at AS
    At, A2, I am currently studying chemistry biology and maths.

I'd recommend chemistry biology and maths straight away, no question. Virtually all medical schools are now asking for "chemistry and biology essential" or even, "biology, chemistry and another science subject" (i.e. maths or physics), and physics really needs maths to be taken at the same time.

As your fourth/fifth subject(s) you have a lot more freedom. What the universities mainly ask for is a "theoretical subject" or a subject with 60+% theory. This means anything other than art really. Avoid the micky mouse subjects such as media studies/film studies/performing arts. The majority of people I know applying to medical schools take 1 of either psychology, philosophy (w/without religon) or a modern language (such as french, spanish or italian). But subjects like geography, geology, english subjects are also good to take.

I'd recommend taking a subject you think you'll enjoy and be interested in, because your main concern is getting the A in the subject.

Final words: start your voluntary work now! You might think it is ages off but start volunteering at the hospital/hospice now! Also do voluntary work, charity work and do something like millenium volunteers/duke of edinborough and similar. Also, you need a hobby for your personal statement.

If you PM me, I will give you my MSN address and offer other information/help if you want it:).

Good luck with it all:D