Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨

Slowing cars down...

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Yeah I suppose. It's just annoying that there is nothing I can do about it. I don't chose to be blessed in that department (as you put it, hehe) and so I can't stop the beeping but dressing differently, if you know what I mean!

Also I cannot believe I used my breasts as an argument :o
    Kermit wrote:
    Not really. I don't think women should lean out of limos screaming at men either. Did you miss that bit?

Did you forget you typed this straight after?
    But don't try and pretend that a group of pissed girls shouting at a bloke is as intimidating as a group of men shouting at girls.

And where's your rabid condemnation of all the 'bitches' shouting at men passing by? Oh i forgot, you just dont like that.

:rolleyes:
    Why do you think it is acceptable to lean out of cars shouting things at women? "Girls in short skirts want attention" is something a sex pest would come out with. Try harder.

Because it's usually taken well in good spirit. It's seen for what it is - a compliment. I've already said this kermit, try reading the thread.
    If you grab her arse and don't leave her alone, then it is.

I seem to remember you also arguing that its fine to grope and assault women in clubs too. For the same reason too- a girl in a short skirt loves having some dirty scrote's hands all over her arse, obviously.

I said it's bordering on harrassment and worth a slap, but a single grope isn't harmful enough to warrant myself getting worked up over it.

For a guy to properly come onto a rape victim in a club - dancing up close, trying to make contact, making comments - then that's obviously just as bad as someone shouting "nice arse" from a passing car. The "threat" is more pressing, and it's intimate. Maybe that realisation is beyond you, i dunno.
    Another reason I hate it is that I always think they are taking the piss!

i wouldn't say taking the piss (i'm sure you're perfectly nice) but i don't think it's usually intended as a compliment. just a laugh/being a nob.

i can't imagine a white van man thinks 'what a beautiful lady, my she is exquisite. i ache for her breath on my pillow. my god, i must honk her immediately and then she will realise the depth of my feeling, and surely love me for evermore'.

i think it's more 'haha...girl... HOOOONNNNKKK...haha.....funny.'
    Ballerina wrote:
    Ok so not all women are rape victims. But when you've been in a threatening situation with a man....it usually stays with you. For instance if anyone else has read my story, it probably doesn't sound much. But believe me, when you're 13, on your own and out of sight and theres a weirdo acting very strange towards you...you're going to be scared. If that other guy hadn't turned up then i dunno what would have happened. Same with franki.
    Its not our fault it happened and its not our fault for finding it threatening.

Exactly. I'm 19, and just before Christmas I was followed and harrassed by a bloke when I was on my way home. I'm normally a very confident person, but it freaked the hell out of me, and still does. A couple of days later someone stopped me by patting me on the arm to tell me I'd dropped my glove, and I nearly smacked them one because I was scared it was someone going to harrass me again. I'm still wary of strangers, and take the longer and more expensive bus route to uni so I'm not on my own except on the 30 second walk to the bus stop. So if anyone even beeped/slowed down I'd be pretty nervous too. Not to mention I'd question their motives, as I'm as far from tarty/attractive as it gets.
    well why not, the discussion is about men perving on women. much of the time they're perving at their boobs.

i do appreciate it's annoying; but i reallllllly wouldn't look at it as a personal thing. men will look at any pair of tits - if the face is nice then it's just a bonus!
    kaffrin wrote:
    i can't imagine a white van man thinks 'what a beautiful lady, my she is exquisite. i ache for her breath on my pillow. my god, i must honk her immediately and then she will realise the depth of my feeling, and surely love me for evermore'.

:lol: post of the week!
    kaffrin wrote:
    i can't imagine a white van man thinks

Yep, basically. ;)

I reckon it's just a reaction to seeing a pair of tits or an arse walking down the street to be honest. No thought process involved.
    Fair enough!

I have a plan - I'm going to get a sign on a stick that says 'LOSER' and wave it at them if they honk.
    Fair enough!

I have a plan - I'm going to get a sign on a stick that says 'LOSER' and wave it at them if they honk.

that's just going to attract more attention. ;)

and they'll find it funny.
    kaffrin wrote:
    i wouldn't say taking the piss (i'm sure you're perfectly nice) but i don't think it's usually intended as a compliment. just a laugh/being a nob.

You are a legend.

I agree with Miss. Lucifer, Post of the Week fo' sho'.
    having said that, yes there ARE intimidating men around, and they are very scary, and people who have had experiences with them quite rightly feel scared, but it's silly to paint every leery man as a potential attacker. 99% of them are harmless. just ageing men who wish they were younger.
    i'll probably forget/won't be around so you'll have to nominate her for me!

or i could pm a mod perhaps, wouldn't know how or which one mind!
    Bugger, my brilliant plan is shite.

Can I just ask though, what reaction people who honk at girls are looking for? I mean there is little to no chance that she is going to want you there and then (or anytime/place) because you have honked at her, I think we've established that most girls don't like it and don't take it as a compliment.
    It just makes me feel stupid and embarrassed, is that the intention?
    i'll probably forget/won't be around so you'll have to nominate her for me!

or i could pm a mod perhaps, wouldn't know how or which one mind!
    I will nominate her for sure :).
    they probably just think if i pip at her she'll look at me and see how err fit i am!

i.e. they want to draw attention to themselves..and you!
    kaffrin wrote:

A bloke driving a lexus down the road probably wouldnt think that either.. its more like 'shes fit, i'll beep' or something... It's not malicious intent (thought it obviously sometimes causes offence sometimes).
    kaffrin wrote:
    having said that, yes there ARE intimidating men around, and they are very scary, and people who have had experiences with them quite rightly feel scared, but it's silly to paint every leery man as a potential attacker. 99% of them are harmless. just ageing men who wish they were younger.

Definitely.

But IMHO its just as silly to blame the woman who DOES feel threatened for not "dealing with it".

I suppose its different life experiences and all that. I am good friends with women who were attacked, who are threatened by men doing this, so that makes my opinion like this. I don't think its harmless. If I didn't know these people I probably would think it harmless.

I don't think men who do are seeking to intimidate women, but that is the effect it has sometimes.

C'est la vie.

I note nobody's yet said what's wrong with the idea that you don't honk and holler at people unless you know they can take it. Is that too much for some people to comprehend?
    but how are you meant to know if they can take it? say 'excuse me love i'm just going to turn around, come back and pip my horn at you 'cause you've got a nice pair of baps. is that ok?'. :p
    kaffrin wrote:

:lol: post of the week please!
    Kermit wrote:
    Definitely.

But IMHO its just as silly to blame the woman who DOES feel threatened for not "dealing with it".

it is. the idea of there being blame anywhere in this situation is silly.

man doesn't realise woman could be offended by honking.

woman doesn't realise man means no malice by lighthearted honking.

simple misunderstanding, no?
    Bugger, my brilliant plan is shite.

Can I just ask though, what reaction people who honk at girls are looking for? I mean there is little to no chance that she is going to want you there and then (or anytime/place) because you have honked at her, I think we've established that most girls don't like it and don't take it as a compliment.
    It just makes me feel stupid and embarrassed, is that the intention?

Men check out every woman who passes them by. By beeping or commenting, it's a verbal 'thumbs up'.

There's nothing sinisiter to it.
    Spliffie wrote:
    Men check out every woman who passes them by. By beeping or commenting, it's a verbal 'thumbs up'.

There's nothing sinisiter to it.
    do they really need to display it to the world though?
    but how are you meant to know if they can take it? say 'excuse me love i'm just going to turn around, come back and pip my horn at you 'cause you've got a nice pair of baps. is that ok?'. :p

If you don't know you don't do it.

Therefore you shouldn't be doing it.

Diddums.

kaff, yeah, of course its a simple misunderstanding. There ain't owt sinister about it. But I do think it shows a lack of intelligence. It's why the only people who do it are builders, white van drivers, and spotty boys in Saxos.
    yes but that means you have to walk around on eggshells for the rest of your life not daring to say anything to anyone incase it offends them!
    Kermit wrote:

I note nobody's yet said what's wrong with the idea that you don't honk and holler at people unless you know they can take it. Is that too much for some people to comprehend?

By that logic, men shouldn't try it on with women in clubs if they don't know their history.

I have already explained the parity of threat between both situations.
    Kermit wrote:
    I do think it shows a lack of intelligence. It's why the only people who do it are builders, white van drivers, and spotty boys in Saxos.

come on though. they can barely drive, and now you're expecting them to drive and think at the same time?

imagine the accidents.
    Spliffie wrote:
    By that logic, men shouldn't try it on with women in clubs if they don't know their history.

I have already explained the parity of threat between both situations.

And I've already been through how you're wrong about the latter.

And if you've got half a braincell you can normally see which girls don't want the attention about ten minutes before you try and chat them up.
    Spliffie wrote:

Not really.

In a club a certain understanding exists that people may try to chat other people up.

In the street, there's no expectation that some loon in a chavmobile is going to drive by and honk or shout some random crap out their window.
    Kermit wrote:
    And I've already been through how you're wrong about the latter.

Except of course, you haven't.
    I've shown how you are evidently wrong and you don't have a reply.

That destroys your whole argument.
    And if you've got half a braincell you can normally see which girls don't want the attention about ten minutes before you try and chat them up.

Oh right. So guys passing in cars can't tell who's wanting attention, yet this all magically changes soon as you enter a club.

How's that :confused:
    Mist wrote:
    Not really.

In a club a certain understanding exists that people may try to chat other people up.

In the street, there's no expectation that some loon in a chavmobile is going to drive by and honk or shout some random crap out their window.

I can see why someone walking on their own might be intimidated by it, but i've been referring to groups tarted up & out on the town.