Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Slowing cars down...

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Kermit wrote:

What is a "tart" anyway? Most of the tarts round here wear blue jeans and zippy tops.

At the weekends? Are you sure?
  • Options
    Kermit wrote:
    What is a "tart" anyway? Most of the tarts round here wear blue jeans and zippy tops.

You ask the question yet you seem to able to identify them...
  • Options
    Blagsta wrote:
    Aaah, like "slappers". What a lovely opinion you have of women. :rolleyes:

I'm talking about the look, nothing else. Have a word with yourself, yeah?
  • Options
    Spliffie wrote:
    I'm talking about the look, nothing else. Have a word with yourself, yeah?

What does a "slapper" look like then?
  • Options
    Blagsta wrote:
    Because you come across like you don't, you come across like you only know teenage girls, not grown up women.

I know a few old women...funnily enough the conversation about wearing skimpy clothing and female objectification never came up.
  • Options
    turlough wrote:
    See, you inadvertantly just proved my point. Well done.

Feel good about yourself? Yes because you look better to the lads in those clothes than you would in a baggy jumper and a pair of baggy jeans, clothes more suited to the cold winter.

Give you more confidence? Why are you trying to feel confident in front of the girls who see you everyday anyway, no to the fellas of course.
    How did that prove your point at all?

It gives me confidence to talk to the people I want to talk to, which, although guys, is NOT guys who shout things at me out of cars or make comments on the street. People who actually know me and don't just see me as a sex-object.

Btw, Spliffie - most of my skirts are what you'd call tarty. It's what comes from having extremely long legs.

Also, for the record, it's not just when I'm wearing skirts that men beep me or shout at me. I've had builders shout "nice arse" at me, when I was about 14, and wearing jeans.
  • Options
    turlough wrote:
    I know a few old women...funnily enough the conversation about wearing skimpy clothing and female objectification never came up.

You know a few "old women"? What does that mean? I'm not talking about yer gran y'know. :rolleyes:
  • Options
    Blagsta wrote:
    Because you come across like you don't, you come across like you only know teenage girls, not grown up women.

Heh thats a pretty weak comment ... when you get out of ure teens it doesn't just make you 'grown up'.. everyone has different life experience, some ppl never grow up some ppl are forced to early.
  • Options
    Kermit wrote:
    What if its a really short skirt?

A tartish look would be something like a leather miniskirt with knee high boots, too much make up, massive hoops etc etc.
  • Options
    Spliffie wrote:
    A tartish look would be something like a leather miniskirt with knee high boots, too much make up etc etc.

How much make up is "too much"? And when my missus goes out wearing knee high boots and a short skirt, is she dressing tarty? Is she also asking for it?
  • Options
    Blagsta wrote:
    You know a few "old women"? What does that mean? I'm not talking about yer gran y'know. :rolleyes:

Fuck away off will ya. I talk to a few off my ma's mates who visit the house, I talk to a few of the regulars at the local aswell sometimes when I'm having a pint. I do know old women...prick.
  • Options
    Blagsta wrote:
    How much make up is "too much"? And when my missus goes out wearing knee high boots and a short skirt, is she dressing tarty? Is she also asking for it?

:rolleyes:

Look, you know as well as i do there's a line between dressing nicely and dressing to get sex. If you do the latter then chances are you may draw a few rowdy compliments. Who gives a fuck? Who gets hurt? What harm is done?
  • Options
    muse- wrote:
    Heh thats a pretty weak comment ... when you get out of ure teens it doesn't just make you 'grown up'.. everyone has different life experience, some ppl never grow up some ppl are forced to early.

There is a world of difference between a teenage girl and a woman in her 30's.
  • Options
    turlough wrote:
    Fuck away off will ya. I talk to a few off my ma's mates who visit the house, I talk to a few of the regulars at the local aswell sometimes when I'm having a pint. I do know old women...prick.

old women? What the fuck does that mean?
  • Options
    Skive wrote:
    But the reason you were wearing a skirt earlier on was to 'impress somebody' yes?
    Yeh, somebody I know. Somebody who I am friends with. Somebody who would be more subtle than the people who shout out their cars at me.

Why the hell am I justifying myself to you lot anyway. Eugh.
  • Options
    SkiveSkive Posts: 15,283 Skive's The Limit
    Blagsta wrote:

Check the wit. :yeees:
    Weekender Offender 
  • Options
    Skive wrote:
    Check the wit. :yeees:

You should see my stand up.
  • Options
    i'd just like to add that men don't always do it to be derogatory to women, i think sometimes they do it to embarrass them. not that i'm saying that's any better!
  • Options
    turlough wrote:
    At the weekends? Are you sure?

Given that I understand a tart is a prostitute, yes, I'm sure.

So anyone who wears make-up and short skirts is gagging for male attention, yeah? Of course :rolleyes:
  • Options
    Blagsta wrote:
    old women? What the fuck does that mean?

Women who aren't teenage girls. The opposite of what you were saying I only knew.
  • Options
    Kermit wrote:
    So anyone who wears make-up and short skirts is gagging for male attention, yeah? Of course :rolleyes:

Kermit using hyperbole again...quelle surprise. I never said "gagging".
  • Options
    i'd just like to add that men don't always do it to be derogatory to women

I don't think they are intending to be derogatory to women very often, really. I just think that they don't think about what they're doing.

It's not malicious, but it is wrong nonetheless. What makes it sinister is when people start trying to justify it by saying "oh, she was dressed tartily, she must have wanted it!".
  • Options
    Indrid ColdIndrid Cold Posts: 16,688 Skive's The Limit
    Blagsta wrote:
    There is a world of difference between a teenage girl and a woman in her 30's.
    They are different, but not directly because of the age difference. It's because of more life experiences. A 30-year-old person who's never left the house would be much less mature than a 15-year-old who's seen all parts of life.
  • Options
    SkiveSkive Posts: 15,283 Skive's The Limit
    Franki wrote:
    Yeh, somebody I know. Somebody who I am friends with. Somebody who would be more subtle than the people who shout out their cars at me.

The point was that you put a skirt on to impress and get attention, which is what we were saying.

I dress to impress when I go out, and sometimes I get advances from some girls I really don't fancy. I don't get upset about it though.
    Weekender Offender 
  • Options
    Franki wrote:

Why don't you just accept the compliment? :confused:
  • Options
    Indrid ColdIndrid Cold Posts: 16,688 Skive's The Limit
    Franki wrote:
    I think his (whoever that is) point is that you were doing it for male attention anyway, so you shouldn't complain that it wasn't only of the person you wanted.
    Not that I agree with this, mind.
  • Options
    i'd just like to add that men don't always do it to be derogatory to women, i think sometimes they do it to embarrass them. not that i'm saying that's any better!

Is there that much difference? Its still an exercise of power.
  • Options
    turlough wrote:
    Kermit using hyperbole again...quelle surprise. I never said "gagging".

You may as well have done.

It's not hyperbolic to extend a ridiculous argument to its most ridiculous point.

I'm not the one attempting to justify shouting thingsat, and harrassing women because they dare to go out with their mates wearing a sexy little dress.
  • Options
    Ok you nutters. I'm away to get pissed. Have a good time debating. :thumb:
  • Options
    turlough wrote:
    Women who aren't teenage girls. The opposite of what you were saying I only knew.

So once you're not a teenager, you're "old"?