Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨

I hate A levels

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
edited March 27 in Work & Study
I don't think i can carry on with A levels. I love the music but physics, chemistry and maths are doing my head in. I want to do music in some form like composing or performing or somekind of hybrid course at uni but my problem is how to get there. My old trumpet teacher said he quit his A levels and did some kind of course to get into uni.
I was wondering if anyone knows anything about this!

Cheers.
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Look on the UCAS website, I think what your teacher must have done was a foundation degree. Mature students or people with low grades do these before the move on to a normal degree. It explains them better on the UCAS website.
    Can't you go to college to do a music course of some sort?
    Yes you can do alternative routes.

Why in the hell did you pick 3 of the hardest courses in the world to go with it though?
    Because i used to enjoy them lol. its not that they're really hard, it's that i'd rather just be doing music and as i gig in the evenings fitting work in is difficult!

What are these alternative routes please!
    folkrocker wrote:
    Because i used to enjoy them lol. its not that they're really hard, it's that i'd rather just be doing music and as i gig in the evenings fitting work in is difficult!

What are these alternative routes please!

I guess you should cut down on the gigs.....
    There are some music institution things (i dunno the proper name for them) they will take you in for how good you are just at ure instrument/theory or whatever.. then u go there for 3-4 years like a uni course..

But you could always do a foundation year at uni if u really cba with getting exam grades to get in
    turlough wrote:
    Yes you can do alternative routes.

Why in the hell did you pick 3 of the hardest courses in the world to go with it though?
    I found chemistry and physics A-level quite good fun actually.

Maths was hell though! But it's a really useful one to have if you can get it.
    Hey, I know exactly how you must feel, A levels are terrible. AS were far worse tho, at least now there are only 3 subjects to worry about. But just think, work hard for two years, get decent grades, and get yourself into a decent course at uni. Believe me, I've thought about dropping out on more than one occasion, but you just gotta stick with it, I only have a couple of months left at school, and I am starting to get on track, and it feels really good! 6th year has not been easy, and I can't wait to go!
    The course i'm on is a btec national diploma (bnd), this is the equivalent to 3 a-levels so maybe its worth looking up if there are any music ones at the colleges in your area.
    A foundation degree would of course be the best choice but chances are seeing youre still taking a-levels you wont have the (ucas) points to get onto that yet.
    i might just have to stick it out and turn down a few gigs. Thanks for ur help though!