Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨

Definition of racism and descrimination...

12346»

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Blagsta wrote:
    You want me to explain the fundamentals of class analysis to you?

This
    http://www.ssc.wisc.edu/~wright/Foundations.pdf
    is a good primer

So, in "Blagsta's Ideal", class would still exist?

If not then perhaps you would like to cover the point being made - assuming that you don't miss it by a country mile again.
    Blagsta wrote:
    You want me to explain the fundamentals of class analysis to you?

This
    http://www.ssc.wisc.edu/~wright/Foundations.pdf
    is a good primer

Just a little quote fromthat helpfull pamphle

"Nevertheless, it remains the case that class retains a
    distinctive centrality within the Marxist tradition and is called upon to do much more arduous explanatory work than in other theoretical traditions. Indeed, a good argument can be made that this, along with a specific orientation to radically egalitarian normative principles, is a large part of
    what defines the remaining distinctiveness and vitality of the Marxist tradition as a body of thought, particularly within sociology. It is for this reason that I have argued that “Marxism as class analysis” defines the core agenda of Marxist sociology"

Talking about talking about class struggle.

I’ve read most of that over 90% of it is explaining terms and concepts with little or no relation to the reality on the ground, in the few brief practical things it says it then quickly return to a convoluted explanation of explanations having nothing to do with reality and every thing to do with intellectual debates amongst middle class Marxists.
    So, in "Blagsta's Ideal", class would still exist?

Eh? Where did you get that from? :confused:
    If not then perhaps you would like to cover the point being made - assuming that you don't miss it by a country mile again.

I don't know what point you're making.
    Just a little quote fromthat helpfull pamphle

"Nevertheless, it remains the case that class retains a
    distinctive centrality within the Marxist tradition and is called upon to do much more arduous explanatory work than in other theoretical traditions. Indeed, a good argument can be made that this, along with a specific orientation to radically egalitarian normative principles, is a large part of
    what defines the remaining distinctiveness and vitality of the Marxist tradition as a body of thought, particularly within sociology. It is for this reason that I have argued that “Marxism as class analysis” defines the core agenda of Marxist sociology"

Talking about talking about class struggle.

I’ve read most of that over 90% of it is explaining terms and concepts with little or no relation to the reality on the ground, in the few brief practical things it says it then quickly return to a convoluted explanation of explanations having nothing to do with reality and every thing to do with intellectual debates amongst middle class Marxists.

Sorry, what? :confused: It is totally grounded in reality. It is about how economics and labour are organised. You can't get anymore real than that.

What is your criticism exactly?
    You appear to think that political power is all top down and operates the same across every society at every time in history

If it isn't, why are all these groups racing to become at the top?

What real, structural difference is there between a totalitarian uber state and a monarchy or any other form of governance.
    That's blatantly absurd - political power (like anything else), is a product of particular economic and social circumstances - structures are not the same, whatever simplemided answers you may seek

That's a difference in content, not in the process. How about you just answer those simple questions I put to you befoe we move on?
    I think this is the crux of it - you cling on to mystical guff like NLP

'tis true, i am using some of the ideas from NLP to look at politics. Did you know, for instance that fears all have the same structure, but can have different content? Btw, if you think NLP is simplistic, you haven't a clue about it. Every tried unravelling a double bind? Probably not because you wouldn't even see one in the first place. :rolleyes:
    like "everything is structured the same" because you want an easy answer, you want a "one size fits all" way of looking at the world.

:confused:

For a start, complicated things are just lots of simple things stacked together. Answer those questions I asked and the we will see what sort of mental gymnastice you can get up to making something simple like, "one man using force to get what he wants from another man" into something complicated. :rolleyes:
    I'm sorry, but reality is somewhat more complex. Educate yourself a bit, use your brain a little bit, think a bit and you might understand a bit more - the messiness, complexity and grey areas makes life a bit more scary, but infinitely more interesting. Come on in, the waters lovely!

:confused:

There are no grey areas. Grey is just black and white seen from a distance.
    I’ve read most of that over 90% of it is explaining terms and concepts with little or no relation to the reality on the ground

:yes:
    It is totally grounded in reality. It is about how economics and labour are organised.

So, if they are so shit hot at understanding how economics work, why haven't they done the logical thing, and used their expert understanding to overcome the "capitalists" at their own game, and bought everyone freedom already?