Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Ahhh... Student? Me?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
edited March 27 in Work & Study
I've just been to an open evening at my local college.... and I've filled in the application form for the Makeup Artiste 1 year Diploma...
As I'll be 20 when I start the course, I'll be a 'mature student'.
My question is, is it any different for a mature student compared to a school leaver?

And, has anyone returned to college after a break from education, and if so, was it a shock to the system, or was it like riding a bike?

Thanks, Ilora x
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Options
    Maybe that course will be full of 'mature students'. On my Beauty course the age range varies from 16-30ish really. College seems to be more of a grown-up place to be anyway so I doubt it will be too much of a shock. That course sounds great though. Good luck with it.
  • Options
    I been a college student, a uni student and a mature student. They're all shit. Drink more beer.
  • Options
    a mature student at 20?! i don't think you'll have any problems, as long as you don't walk about the place acting like because you're older, you're better than them.
  • Options
    its much easier being a mature student. Youre treated differently. well done Ilora, youve done the first step, now all youve got to do is see it through till the end.
  • Options
    I've just been to an open evening at my local college.... and I've filled in the application form for the Makeup Artiste 1 year Diploma...
    As I'll be 20 when I start the course, I'll be a 'mature student'.
    My question is, is it any different for a mature student compared to a school leaver?

And, has anyone returned to college after a break from education, and if so, was it a shock to the system, or was it like riding a bike?

Thanks, Ilora x

20 years old isn't classed as a mature student: that's when you're 21, unless your course has lots of 16 year olds on it. Either way, that won't make a huge amount of difference. The biggest hurdle you may encounter is finding it strange studying again, but then again, I expect the course will be quite different from the studying you did at school and if you enjoy it, it'll feel so much easier .

Good luck with it. When do you start?
  • Options
    The course starts in september and interviews are sometime in March I think. I've been out of education for 2 years now, and just started working part time, so I'm nervous about returning to that sort of 'school environment' - it took me a year to sort myself out enough in my head to just get a part time job, so starting college is BIG...

I was told by the girl who'll be interviewing me in a couple of months that this course is popular with the over 20's - which I'm pleased about, because I'd be more nervous around 16 year olds again.

I'm so nervous, yet so excited at the same time - just the thought of having a plan, is brilliant. There's also a possibility of me staying on after the one year course, and completing a foundation degree with the same tutor.

Oooh :D Things are finally happening!! Ilora x
  • Options
    and i think its really good that its only a one year course to start with, so sticking it out wont be too bad as for instance when you started uni. I think this might be good for you.
  • Options
    you'll find people are a lot more open minded at college than they were at school and such so age and the like won't make any difference. i guess it'll be hard to begin with to get back into the whole 'student' mode, but you'll be doing a course you're interested in and that you've actually chosen to do so i'm sure once you've settled in you'll love it.
  • Options
    Oooh, I get to wear a tabard that says 'Makeup Artiste' on it :D hehe.

Ilora x
  • Options
    Aparently you stand more chance of being accepted onto the course (if you havent done already) because the course organisers will tend to think you are a lot more serious about learning than these 16 year olds who are just there because they dont know what else to do - thats what i got told by my lecturers anyway
  • Options
    Exactly! I had a chat with the girl who does the interviews and she said the same. - I've taken 3 years out to decide if Makeup Artistry is what I want, and they'll see how committed I am because of that.

God, I'm really excited, I just wanna start it now!! Hehehe..

Ilora x
  • Options
    I have a friend who's doing a professional make-up course in London. She's 21 and she says she's the youngest on the course by a mile.

If you want stuff for your portfolio, then try and find out if there's any independant/low budget/no budget films being made in your area. You'd have to do it for free, but just approach them, because makeup isn't usually the first thing people think about when they don't have much money anyway, so they wont ask you. They'll always give you a copy of the film, and it might be something a bit different than just fashion shoots or whatever.
  • Options
    I don't think theres all that much difference really. On my college course mature students were doing exactly the same as me but they had to pay and I didn't
  • Options
    Well I was 20 when I started uni. I found it fine, there are a lot of people who are slightly older or even a lot older (like 30 plus), so a difference of a few years doesn't make a huge difference.

I found the "mature students" to be more committed to their work as opposed to getting drunk every night.

well done on the place.
  • Options
    I'm 21 now and still will be on starting uni in September. Well, if everything goes okay, that is. I'm a bit worried about how people will react too, but there are bigger things to be concerned about, all things considered.
  • Options
    stargalaxy wrote:
    I'm 21 now and still will be on starting uni in September. Well, if everything goes okay, that is. I'm a bit worried about how people will react too, but there are bigger things to be concerned about, all things considered.

what worries you stargalaxy?