Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Interpretation/Making an impression.

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I was promoted back in September from standard assisstant shop work to general managerial duties such as safe control, and all the general responsibilites and have since really enjoyed it.

My manager said to me recently that I was doing a good job and 'starting to shine' and gave me and opportunity to "prove myself" over the next 3 months for another promotion. The jobs (duty to deputy manager) are pretty much the same, just more responsibility but better privileges like more and better paid holiday and also, going from piece rate to salary paid.

My question is though (getting there) how would you interpret "prove yourself" bar the obvious, being punctual and putting in a good effort etc. As in carry on as you are, or 'you're almost there, you just need to apply yourself'? And barring being presentable, punctual and hard-working, how else would you 'proe yourself', maybe something more subtle? I dunno.

Comments

• Options
    I'd ask if there are other tasks you can be doing, dont just do what you are told, ask for more work, this makes you seem involved and interested. Thats always a good thing.

(how are you doing you ugly git?)
  • Options
    z0ma wrote:
    I was promoted back in September from standard assisstant shop work to general managerial duties such as safe control, and all the general responsibilites and have since really enjoyed it.

My manager said to me recently that I was doing a good job and 'starting to shine' and gave me and opportunity to "prove myself" over the next 3 months for another promotion. The jobs (duty to deputy manager) are pretty much the same, just more responsibility but better privileges like more and better paid holiday and also, going from piece rate to salary paid.

My question is though (getting there) how would you interpret "prove yourself" bar the obvious, being punctual and putting in a good effort etc. As in carry on as you are, or 'you're almost there, you just need to apply yourself'? And barring being presentable, punctual and hard-working, how else would you 'proe yourself', maybe something more subtle? I dunno.
    Is there any data you could collect in order to produce reports that might give the manager more information to make his/her job easier? Things like stock levels or discounts given (you know your business better than me) that can be manually noted, with a view to tighter controls over such things (i.e. do your figures match up with the figures given on the till, if not, why not. Is a member of staff not using the till correctly, for example). Ask the manager if there's anything along these lines that could help them do their job, but suggest things yourself that they could use, but hadn't thought of. In addition, any promotion = more admin, so best get your practice in now.