Home Drink & Drugs
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨

Hello everyone!

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Hi I'm Lucy, I've been lurking on 'thesite' for a little while but really wanted to post something.

I have floated around all the boards and find this one so interesting. I don't take drugs (well apart from alcohol-is that a drug? I dunno well anyway), but I find that for the most part the people on here post sensible HONEST advice and I think that support is so important, especially from people who have first hand experience.

I dunno what the point of this post is really.

I hope I'm welcome here as a non-drugs user, reading these posts has really made me think about the government and media's stance on drugs compared to the people out there using them. Maybe they should employ MorrocanRoll as an adviser! :chin:

Lucy ;)

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Hi I'm Lucy, I've been lurking on 'thesite' for a little while but really wanted to post something.

I have floated around all the boards and find this one so interesting. I don't take drugs (well apart from alcohol-is that a drug? I dunno well anyway), but I find that for the most part the people on here post sensible HONEST advice and I think that support is so important, especially from people who have first hand experience.

I dunno what the point of this post is really.

I hope I'm welcome here as a non-drugs user, reading these posts has really made me think about the government and media's stance on drugs compared to the people out there using them. Maybe they should employ MorrocanRoll as an adviser! :chin:

Lucy ;)
    hello and welcome.
    i think they'd throw me in friggin jail before employing me!
    Hello and welcome. :wave:

Yes the most honest and sound people on this site tend to be in here and you don't have to be a drug user to post. I think the government knows rightly what the stance on drugs should be, however to suddenly change everything would upset middle England so much they'd lose a lot of support and politics is about staying in power so loads of wrong things are in place that shouldn't be.

Oh and alcohol is a drug btw.
    turlough wrote:
    Hello and welcome. :wave:

Yes the most honest and sound people on this site tend to be in here and you don't have to be a drug user to post. I think the government knows rightly what the stance on drugs should be, however to suddenly change everything would upset middle England so much they'd lose a lot of support and politics is about staying in power so loads of wrong things are in place that shouldn't be.

Oh and alcohol is a drug btw.
    trouble is ...the truth.
    the truth being ...middle england and upwards ...are the only people who can finance huge ammounts of drugs being shipped into the country ...and a few wealthy foriengers who work with them.
    and middle england and upwards ...consume most of the drugs ...otherwise ...your telling me tha6t the illegal drugs consumption in england ...that is worth between seven billion and ten billion quid a year ...is being paid for by the poor on benefits ...i don't think so.
    the truth is always buried.
    i've asked numerous times for someone to show me ...how many british industries are legaly turning over seven to ten billion quid a year ...anyone help out here to show just how big this biz is?

what makes the news is ...sink estates with heroin crack problems ...try convincing me that ...these sinlk estates can ...import that many drugs ...and consume that many ...
    meaning ...it is the relatively wealthy people who wish for drugs to remain illegal ...it is the biggest tax free cash earner on the planet ...in history.
    blame the poor ...but look at the truth.
    Hey! :D
  • Teh_GerbilTeh_Gerbil Posts: 13,332 Born on Earth, Raised by The Mix
    Why Hello There!

Rolly... you're probalby nothing of a Criminal compared to half of our Government!
    Teh_Gerbil wrote:

Rolly... you're probalby nothing of a Criminal compared to half of our Government!

I was just thinking that. :yes:

Thanks for the welcome guys, I've realised how sensationalised drugs use is in the media, for instance I always thought Leah Betts died from a reaction to the ecstasy it wasn't till people on here talked about it that I realised it was the water consumtion (Im sure the ecstasy meant she retained it) but the whole point is- people should have been better informed about the true dangers rather than the extreme ones, then they can make real informed choices. Thats why I think this forum is so good.

:wave:
    Thanks for the welcome guys, I've realised how sensationalised drugs use is in the media, for instance I always thought Leah Betts died from a reaction to the ecstasy it wasn't till people on here talked about it that I realised it was the water consumtion (Im sure the ecstasy meant she retained it) but the whole point is- people should have been better informed about the true dangers rather than the extreme ones, then they can make real informed choices. Thats why I think this forum is so good.

That is true, but that isnt to say that people dont die from a reaction to MDMA or because of heat exhaustion brought on by the drug. Deaths from MDMA are rare however.
    bongbudda wrote:
    That is true, but that isnt to say that people dont die from a reaction to MDMA or because of heat exhaustion brought on by the drug. Deaths from MDMA are rare however.

Yeah I should have said that.

Also I was growing up around that time im 23 now and I should say that the scare tactics totally worked on me and a wouldn't dare even try drugs (for fear of death or ending up a herion addict! :blush: ). The problem I see with it is the people who do experiment with drugs and because of these tactics aren't getting decent and necessary advice.

I'm pleased to say that my views on people who use drugs have completely changed, saying that I still have no desire to experiment. Maybe thats because I get very drunk from 3 halfs of lager so I dread to think what I'd be like if I decided to smoke a joint! :nervous:
    I'm pleased to say that my views on people who use drugs have completely changed, saying that I still have no desire to experiment. Maybe thats because I get very drunk from 3 halfs of lager so I dread to think what I'd be like if I decided to smoke a joint! :nervous:

Indeed, most people who use drugs are totally the same as others, they just have a different choice of intoxicant thats all.
    Maybe thats because I get very drunk from 3 halfs of lager

Lucky you! ;)

Welcome to the boards.
    Teh_Gerbil wrote:
    ex criminal please!
    i am now mr respectable ...it still makes me laugh.

i had a lady on the phone today from london ...she's coming to talk to me this week ...from one of the uks ...biggest companies.

i'll say no more other than ...she wants to sign a big fat contract!

now from junkies ville to that ...can't be bad aye?

i know ...i've sold out ...and loving it so far! :D
    yeah, i lurked around here for quite some time myself before I posted anything. Very informative place this is, I must say. If you know you're gonna take drugs anyway, you had better get up to speed on the facts, the dangerous factors in particular. A lot of people say to me that stoners are junkies who have no self-control, which is ironic, as they'll be drinking way past their limit as they're saying this. I've learned my limits through experiance, research, and general common sense, something so many alcoholics have failed to achieve themselves.

Ah well, before I get into another rant about alcohol and drug relation I'll just say welcome to the boards. Even though you're drug free, just remember that that alcohol you're consuming is slowly poisoning your bloodstream, so don't go too overboard! :p Oh and drink with a friend who stays relatively sober so you don't get raped or taken advantage of!!
    Yep agreed about alcohol.

I learned my tolerance levels when I first started going out and I can safely say I have absolutely no tolerance at all :yuck:

So all this means I dont drink much when I go out but still enjoy getting tipsy and giggly much to the annoyance of my male friends. I'm sure secretly they are all happy that I'm such a cheap date and they can offer to buy me drinks and wont end up too out of pocket. I know I'm lucky and hope my body doesn't suddenly become alcohol proof. So lets all hope I can still get tipsy on three halves when I'm 50.

Actually just a little factoid- I havn't had a drink since October, for some reason I just felt the need for a detox even over Crimbo and Newyear. I still had some of the best nights out tho and no hangover! xx :wave:
    Tipsy on three halves? :shocking:

I wish I was you.

3 pints won't do nothing for me.
    I'd feel sick and possibly be sick if I drank 3 pints, its a bit of a joke with my friends and my ex used to totally take the piss out of me for it. It could be all in my mind though because I had a really bad experience when I was 16, I drank far too much in a small amount of time...had to be carried out of a pub and puked everywhere!! So I guess I scared myself, I don't like the feeling of being really really drunk I just like the tipsyness I get from a few drinks.

I don't know if my parents had anything to do with it either but I never had any restrictions put on me and never felt the need to rebel, but again I'm not sure if thats relevant. x
    Well i guess you just have a low tolerance, it takes time to build up a tolerance to alcohol.

Can get very ugly sometimes though, you really don't give a fuck about anyone and would be inclinded sometimes to start a fight if your really pissed.
    Shogun wrote:
    Well i guess you just have a low tolerance, it takes time to build up a tolerance to alcohol.

Its not as simple as that, by the sound of it she probably doesnt have the enzyme needed to break down alcohol, many Asian people dont and get drunk on next to nothing.
    bongbudda wrote:
    Its not as simple as that, by the sound of it she probably doesnt have the enzyme needed to break down alcohol, many Asian people dont and get drunk on next to nothing.

Well you learn something new every day, thats what I'll tell people "bongbudda says I don't have a specific enzyme that I need". I feel unique now ;)

I wonder if theres a way of getting tested for that, not that i need to know or anything I'm quite happy as I am, but it would definately be interesting.
    Do you have Asian relatives?

Do your cheeks flush red quite quickly when you drink?

It comes from Asian peoples drinking tea to sterilise water where as us Northern Europeans had 'small beer' instead, which of course was nothing like we have today but was a quite weak ale.
    No I don't have Asian relatives well not that I know of, but I do get rosy cheeks.

Just out of curiosity are any of the enzymes related to those in tomatoes because I get quite a bad reaction from eating them? lol
    You just gotta pace yourself. I'm a small guy (116 lbs) and I can drink a shitload as long as I don't drink nonstop. On New Years I downed a double shot of Smirnoff about every 2 or 3 minutes for about an hour and ended up puking. Next party I drank twice as much and felt fine because I spread it out over closer to 2 hours for the majority of the drinks consumed. Had more after that as well, but I can't remember how much. My advice to you: don't drink that much, ha ha. Just keep a half drank bottle in your hand most of the night and it will seem like you've been drinking all night...

...oh, and eat a nice big sandwich right before you go. Drinking on an empty stomach will make you sick much easier, and besides the bread will help absorb the alcohol so you can handle a few more drinks...
    No I don't have Asian relatives well not that I know of, but I do get rosy cheeks.

Just out of curiosity are any of the enzymes related to those in tomatoes because I get quite a bad reaction from eating them? lol

Lack of the enzyme is much rarer among us beer swilling Europeans but it does happen, its certainly a possibility if you are that sensitive to alcohol.

And no, I dont think it has anything to do with tomatoes.
    On New Years I downed a double shot of Smirnoff about every 2 or 3 minutes for about an hour

:eek2:
    Believe me it wasnt very pretty....LOL :yuck:
  • JadedJaded Posts: 2,682 Boards Guru
    Can I just ask why you would want to build such a tolerance to alcohol, when it is more damaging to your health and more expensive? I certainly don't think anyone should be recommending ways to build a tolerance. No offense to the original poster, but it sounds like another one of those pointless dick measuring competitions.
    LadyJade wrote:
    Can I just ask why you would want to build such a tolerance to alcohol, when it is more damaging to your health and more expensive? I certainly don't think anyone should be recommending ways to build a tolerance. No offense to the original poster, but it sounds like another one of those pointless dick measuring competitions.

Hiya, sorry if I've caused trouble on here. I dunno whether you mean me as the original poster or the guy bragging about his alcohol intake. Just to make it clear I don't want any more tolerance to alcohol I don't drink much and don't need to and I'm perfectly happy like that.

If it wasn't aimed at me just ignore this post, I agree building a tolerance is a bad thing and very pointless.

Lucy :wave:
  • JadedJaded Posts: 2,682 Boards Guru
    Sorry, that post wasn't aimed at you, I was referring to pushercollectors post.
    it'd be a bit annoying sittin there snattered and everyones still only starting to get drunk ..
    z01 wrote:
    it'd be a bit annoying sittin there snattered and everyones still only starting to get drunk ..

yeah i know the feeling ive had that happen before, but the reverse is also true. you being the only one completely sober and everyone else is trashed.
    z01 wrote:

Going by pusher_collector's alcohol intake, it'd be pretty annoying sitting there dead while everyone else was still alive.