Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

can a economy only cater for the wealthy

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
as in making and selling to the people with money, and avoiding everything most regular people need?

i'd presume so, but any other ideas on this

Comments

• Options
    A free market economy only caters to the wealthy.
  • Options
    Well the wealthy still need all the things that everyone else needs, maybe of a higher quality but there is little fundamental difference.

In a market then if there is a profit to be made then you would expect companies to be formed to provide for these people, there is no reason not to think this would happen.......

The most likely way such a situation would occur is in a planned economy where the planning was corrupt or simply mistaken.........
  • Options
    Blagsta wrote:

:rolleyes:

Another inciteful post there.

In fact it doesn't even make sense according to your own precepts, you recognise that firms in free markets are driven by profits so why wouldn't they cater for the poor?
  • Options

Piffle.
    as in making and selling to the people with money, and avoiding everything most regular people need?

The simple fact is there are two ways to get wealthy. One is to steal it, as gangsters/politicians do, the other is to create welath and trade it voluntarily with others.

In order for lets say, Bill Gates, to become so fabulously wealthy, he's had to provide a lot of value to a lot of people.
  • Options
    klintock wrote:
    Piffle.

The simple fact is there are two ways to get wealthy. One is to steal it, as gangsters/politicians do, the other is to create welath and trade it voluntarily with others.

In order for lets say, Bill Gates, to become so fabulously wealthy, he's had to provide a lot of value to a lot of people.

or sign deals with monopolies, as he did with IBM in the 80s
  • Options
    Yeah, that's where it all goes pear shaped. He had to get there first and he still provided value to a lot of people. Why was he able to do this though?

Because of state intervention. If anyone else copies his software, he asks thugs to kidnap them. And they do.
  • Options
    Toadborg wrote:
    :rolleyes:

Another inciteful post there.

Errr...I'm at work. Maybe you have time to write indepth essays at work, I don't. How come you never comment when I write long replies? Oh yeah, you conveniently ignore them.

Toadborg wrote:
    In fact it doesn't even make sense according to your own precepts, you recognise that firms in free markets are driven by profits so why wouldn't they cater for the poor?

Errr...because the poor are...like, poor y'know? Poor? No money?
  • Options
    If you don't have the time to write anything sensible then i would suggest not writing anything at all.

So all those bargain stores in town are for what exactly? Were they set up by the state or by an anarchist collective? I do not beleive so.......
  • Options
    Quite a stretch to call Microsnot product "value".

The truth of the matter is that Gates began with wealth and only managed to connive his way, as much through piracy as perserverance, into the corporate monolith he is today.

Let's not forget the practice of MNC's is to buy out or crush competition thus belying the rhetoric of "free" markets.
  • Options
    Let's not forget the practice of MNC's is to buy out or crush competition thus belying the rhetoric of "free" markets.

Well, exactly. To complain that the free market doesn't work when we don't actually have one and haven't for generations is a bit stupid, imo.
    Quite a stretch to call Microsnot product "value".

Not really.
    The truth of the matter is that Gates began with wealth and only managed to connive his way, as much through piracy as perserverance, into the corporate monolith he is today.

By providing people with things they value that they voluntarily paid for. He didn't use a gun to get cash off people, he traded something with them. He did use guns to make sure his was almost the only product. Slight difference.
  • Options
    Toadborg wrote:
    If you don't have the time to write anything sensible then i would suggest not writing anything at all.

Right back at ya, big boy.
    Toadborg wrote:
    So all those bargain stores in town are for what exactly? Were they set up by the state or by an anarchist collective? I do not beleive so.......

And what do they sell exactly?
  • Options
    Things that are more affordable for people on lower incomes........
  • Options
    What things? Quality food? Quality clothes?
  • Options
    In a free market economy how do poor people get access to decent housing? To healthcare? To social care?
  • Options
    Depends what you mean by quality.

Obviously people with less money are going to get less high quality stuff, sadly not everyone can have all the best stuff.

I can see where you are going with this and it is a poor attempt to wriggle out of the fact that the markets do cater for the less well off, the reasons for them being less well off is a different matter.......
  • Options
    In a free market economy how do poor people get access to decent housing? To healthcare? To social care?

They do something worth more money. :rolleyes:

See, wasn't so hard, was it?
  • Options
    So the lack of affordable housing in London has nothing to do with free market policies then?
  • Options
    So the lack of affordable housing in London has nothing to do with free market policies then?

You mean policiies getting in the way of the free market. The free market is what happens naturally, all laws about it are designed to stop it occuring.
  • Options
    \
  • Options
    klintock wrote:
    You mean policiies getting in the way of the free market. The free market is what happens naturally, all laws about it are designed to stop it occuring.

Oh dear.
  • Options
    and what about those who can't, due to lack of skills, poor health...fuck em?

My god, you give up quick.

All those people need is a way to do something useful that's worh something to others.

No skills? Go learn some.

Poor health? Find something to do that doesn't require good health, there are plenty if you get your finger out.

Still can't find something? Get someone else to come up with something for you to do. Of course, you'll have to pay them, but never fear, because you can claim that you inability to come up with new ideas or valuable sevices is "exploitation" as though the world owes you a living.
    yes, the free market is the epitome of common sense and responsibility...

Self responsibility. The only problem I see with it in fact, is that not everyone is in one. If everyone had shares in what they did, my god the effeiciency with which they would work. No one looks after your money better than you do. Not "companies" not "governments" only you really care 100% of the time about you.

That being the case, who should be looking after you?
  • Options
    I presume that most economies can cater for all different types of people, as there's money where working class people are as well, isn't there? And if there is then people are more than likely to want to cash in on that.
  • Options
    Depends on what you mean by "economy" I suppose.
  • Options
    klintock wrote:
    My god, you give up quick.

All those people need is a way to do something useful that's worh something to others.

Poor health? Find something to do that doesn't require good health, there are plenty if you get your finger out.

Still can't find something? Get someone else to come up with something for you to do. Of course, you'll have to pay them, but never fear, because you can claim that you inability to come up with new ideas or valuable sevices is "exploitation" as though the world owes you a living.

Self responsibility. The only problem I see with it in fact, is that not everyone is in one. If everyone had shares in what they did, my god the effeiciency with which they would work. No one looks after your money better than you do. Not "companies" not "governments" only you really care 100% of the time about you.

That being the case, who should be looking after you?
    time to admit ...your a facist.
  • Options
    Almost. Close.

Just one that respects other people's right to do whatever they want provided they don't injure me or anyone else doing it.

That doesn't mean you can rope me into schemes to help those I don't give two shits about however.
  • Options
    Teh_GerbilTeh_Gerbil Posts: 13,332 Born on Earth, Raised by The Mix
    :lol:

Of course a free market economy only caters for the wealthy. Also note, the title should say "an". Not a economy.
  • Options

Naaah, not a fascist. A free market libertarian. Just as nasty in their own way.
  • Options
    Naaah, not a fascist. A free market libertarian. Just as nasty in their own way.

:confused:

I'm not the one advocating violence......
  • Options
    klintock wrote:

The mentors/teachers etc will need to be paid for their useful service of teaching some skills, how do you propose Joe-no-money does this?
  • Options
    The mentors/teachers etc will need to be paid for their useful service of teaching some skills, how do you propose Joe-no-money does this?

Get a loan. Work for someone for free in your spare time. Turn a hobby into work. Save up for it by making sacrifices. Take a business idea to someone with money and let them be a silent partner in exchange for funding. Bullshit that you can do it, charge small so not much is expected and learn as you go. Beg for it. Franchise.

Theresloads more but that's just off the top of my head.