Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Aged 16-25? Share your experience of using the discussion boards and receive a £25 voucher! Take part via text-chat, video or phone. Click here to find out more and to take part.
Options

How much less effective

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Ok, I've been searching for half an hour now and been on like 10 sites and they tell me nothing so I"ll ask. I know antibiotics make OC less effective. But how much?

And a few of them also told me something similar to
The effects of antibiotics on birth control pills (oral contraceptives) may be overstated — except in the case of one antibiotic, rifampin. Studies clearly show that rifampin decreases the effectiveness of birth control pills in preventing ovulation.

Certain antibiotics, such as rifampin (Rifadin), amoxicillin (Amoxil), metronidazole (Flagyl), tetracycline (Sumycin) and cephalexin (Keflex), may decrease the effectiveness of birth control pills. However, no large studies have confirmed this. Though the evidence is weak, the possibility that this can occur in a very small percentage of women can't be ruled out.

Which I got from Ohio health and Mayo Clinic, which I trust. Obviously I'll ask my Dr but I'm also in the process of trying to convince the man that he can do me then :p (cuz hes psychotically obsessed with protection)

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    my_name wrote:
    Ok, I've been searching for half an hour now and been on like 10 sites and they tell me nothing so I"ll ask. I know antibiotics make OC less effective. But how much?

And a few of them also told me something similar to
    The effects of antibiotics on birth control pills (oral contraceptives) may be overstated — except in the case of one antibiotic, rifampin. Studies clearly show that rifampin decreases the effectiveness of birth control pills in preventing ovulation.

Certain antibiotics, such as rifampin (Rifadin), amoxicillin (Amoxil), metronidazole (Flagyl), tetracycline (Sumycin) and cephalexin (Keflex), may decrease the effectiveness of birth control pills. However, no large studies have confirmed this. Though the evidence is weak, the possibility that this can occur in a very small percentage of women can't be ruled out.

Which I got from Ohio health and Mayo Clinic, which I trust. Obviously I'll ask my Dr but I'm also in the process of trying to convince the man that he can do me then :p (cuz hes psychotically obsessed with protection)
    It varies but I have a vague memory of reading that it might be 70% somewhere. If you are using a barrier method at the same time then you should be fine (and you are still more protected than using the barrier method alone).