Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

BlairLite Tory leader's latest U-turn

1235»

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    You wouldn't be suggesting that Buffy the Vampire Slayer is any less a valid subject to study than any other at would you? :)

Of course not :angel: :p
  • Options
    briggi wrote:
    Of course not :angel: :p
    My friend was going to do his dissertation on Homer Simpson, but he changed his mind. Shame because he got a 79 for the one he handed in. I would have loved to have seen a first class dissertation on Homer Simpson.
  • Options
    Toadborg wrote:
    People do a film studies degree not only because they will enjoy the degree but presumably because they want to work in that industry. If a film student and a history student applied for a job in the production sector of the film industry the film student would be more liekly to get it wouldn't they?

If you really wanted to get into film production I don't think you'd do a film studies degree. I don't think many people get into the film industry at all through doing film studies...
  • Options
    There's great potential for a Simpsons-related dissertation, since the show itself used to be a pretty apt and scathing social critique.
  • Options
    Maybe add to that list the BBC, BskyB, ITV, The Guardian and we'll see. Why would a film studies graduate go for a job at any of those places?

Yeah okay. I’d still say the history or English grad would do better. Partly because the likes of Oxbridge, LSE, Durham, UCL however don't offer Film Studies.
  • Options
    Yeah okay. I’d still say the history or English grad would do better. Partly because the likes of Oxbridge, LSE, Durham, UCL however don't offer Film Studies.

I thought we were talking about equal degrees from equal universities? I'm pretty sure that a Film graduate would be more likely to get a job as a researcher for a television company than a history or English (love how you quickly slid that one in there) graduate. But why is the value of the degree based on what your first job is. That's why a lot of people (in my experience) do law, business, accounting and things like that, because they expect to get a large salary very quickly. Film students don't. They do it because they love the subject.

As for production, yeah there's no chance of a film graduate (with no experience) getting a job in production. But then you could have a first class degree from Oxford and you don't have a chance either, so it's pointless discussing it. What a film degree can do, is contribute to the quality of any production work you do, so that you are more likely to produce good work and get noticed. It is extremely valuable to know how an audience watches a film/television, and how best to get your story/ideas across on film. But production is still about getting out there and doing it.
  • Options
    But then you could have a first class degree from Oxford and you don't have a chance either, so it's pointless discussing it. What a film degree can do, is contribute to the quality of any production work you do, so that you are more likely to produce good work and get noticed. It is extremely valuable to know how an audience watches a film/television, and how best to get your story/ideas across on film. But production is still about getting out there and doing it.

Ken Loach and Sam Mendes went to Oxbridge, think they both did English but not sure...Dunno what they did after but doubt Mendes walked into theatre straight after uni.

I do agree with you and you're right it is about getting out there and doing it. Someone from my school left after A-levels and didn't go to uni but set up his own production company and made films for businesses to make money to fund his creative stuff and he's not doing badly.

Anyway I'll agree to disagree with you..this threads gone on for agees.
  • Options
    Anyway I'll agree to disagree with you..this threads gone on for agees.
    I agree. What was it about again? :thumb: