Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨

jobs worknig ages? part time?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
i want to get a job, possibly in a local computer shop since thats my kinda thing but im not sure if id get one because
A) im not entirely sure walknig in asking if he'll emply me will work
B) im only 14 ( i can work part-time though, right? )
C) he might not need anyone since that shops nearly always empty..

i want a job so i have money to spend on my girlfriend and treat her and stuff plus, i might get a shop discount =D

Comments

• **helen****helen** Deactivated Posts: 9,235 Supreme Poster
    Hi there softworld,

This is a bit of a tough one as while you are legally allowed to work part-time from the age of 13, there are restrictions on the number of hours you can work. For example you can only work for five hours on a Saturday and two on a Sunday, and often shops expect part-timers to work for a whole weekend day. Have a read of this for clarification of you legal position to work

The other obstacle you may find is that many shops prefer to employ 16 year-olds and above, and you will probably find there is competition for part-time jobs among this age group.

However, it's not all bad news - there is no reason why you shouldn't approach places for job applications. The main thing is that you shouldn't put all your eggs in one basket. Go to as many places as possible to find out if there are jobs going. Go to the computer shop and express your interest and enthusiasm for computers and find out whether they have any vacancies. They will soon tell you their minimum age requirement. Ask around at school to find out if other people have jobs and what kind fo thing they are doing. It's also a good idea to ask friends of the family - sometimes it helps if someone can put a good word in for you, or you may find people are prepared to pay you to do some small jobs for them - be aware that Pet sitting, dog walking, gardening, cleaning, car washing or baby-sitting are options and these aren't classed as 'employment' so you will not need a permit.

You should also be aware that there is no minimum wage for your age group so the money you earn may be disappointing - but sometimes when you earn poor money you actually manage to save more because you are more conscious of its value.

Good luck ;)
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    perhaps you could volunteer there for a while to prove your willingness etc?
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    he might drag the voulunteer work on though after ive said i want paid, or he could take me for a ride and just say he doesnt need me after the voulunteer period is up.