Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨

Support for Death Penalty falls below 50%

2»

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Killing is not wrong is the correct circumstances. There.

No, it's always wrong, but sometimes excusable. i.e. we wouldn't punish someone for it under certain circumstances but it would never be a good thing. Ever.
    So I shouldn't kill that man who is about to kill 100 people, as it is wrong to kill. Right. Tell that to the mothers of the dead. You cannot make Moral absolutes, sorry.

Bobbins. You might decide to, "for the greater good", but you haven't done a "good thing" you've done something terrible for a good reason.
  • Teh_GerbilTeh_Gerbil Posts: 13,332 Born on Earth, Raised by The Mix
    I really don't get this "something must ALWAYS be wrong" attitude. What is it? what outdated idea does it go back to?

WHY is killing ALWAYS wrong but can be done for good reasons? (The idea itself seems stupid: If I did it for a good reason, it was a good thing in my book.)

It's like we don't want to abandon the ten commandments but are trying to work around the faults with silly ideas. Killing can be good. Killig is a different word from murder - murder by its very meaning is wrong. It is wrongful killing. Why would we have a word from wrongful killing, and the word killing itself, if both meant the same? Because one, is not always wrong. But when Killing is wrong, it becomes murder.
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Teh_Gerbil wrote:
    It's like we don't want to abandon the ten commandments but are trying to work around the faults with silly ideas. Killing can be good. Killig is a different word from murder - murder by its very meaning is wrong. It is wrongful killing. Why would we have a word from wrongful killing, and the word killing itself, if both meant the same? Because one, is not always wrong. But when Killing is wrong, it becomes murder.

No, murder is 'illegal' killing. Without law, there's no such thing as murder. But legal is not the same thing as right. There are plenty of things you can do legally that are wrong in my opinion. The 10 Commandments forbids murder but not necessarily killing, so it should be right up your street.

We have two words because you might accidentally kill someone, or you might legally kill them in war etc.