Home Sex & Relationships
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Should I interfere?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
My daughter's five year old friend is very overweight. I am friends with her mother as we're on the same course at uni, but we're not particularily close. I know people come in all shapes and sizes, and this little girl has always been plump but I was shocked when I noticed just how much when she stayed at my house. She was out of breath when I asked her to put on her seat belt- all she did was turn around and turn back, also I couldn't get an age nine skirt to button up on her. Would you say any thing to her mother?

Comments

• Options
    no i think interfering is a bad idea, she may not appreciate it and as you said you're not particularly close. im sure this woman is aware of her own child's weight. if it was your child who was overweight would u want a woman u hardly know butting in to tell you something u already know? i know u mean well but its not really your place to say
  • Options
    I know you're right, and I'd be mighty upset if someone pointed something like that about my child out to me but... I still wanna grab her by the shoulders and say at least "put the damn crisps away" or something... but I won't because, it's not my place and I'm sure she knows. Kinda frustrating though
  • Options
    i totally understand your point of view, but you cant make every mother do everything by the book, you just have to accept that you have a resposibility for your children and they have a responsibility to theirs. No matter how much you want to give this woman a shake!
  • Options
    If the child is morbidly obese then it may be worth your while to report it to social services or something, because the child's health is at risk.. I would do it on the hush though, the kid may have a gland problem or something. And no mother would appreciate a stranger telling them how to raise their offspring so be subtle about it.
  • Options
    I recon phoning social services would actually be worse than telling someone something harsh to their face. Calling social services seems to be one off from calling the police on someone in my book, not one for authorities. The kids are all well looked after, and are socially and academically great so... I mean, she must know that this kid's overweight and I don't know what I'd hope to achieve by pointing it out, jus, maybe they'd turn off the telly and get on their bikes instead. Anyway, it may well be just because of the contrast with my skinny minnie, and who knows, there may be a mother out there who thinks I'm under feeding my bab!
  • Options
    maybe u could just say something like, i noticed she was out of breath just putting on the seat belt, i'm concerned
    that way ur not actaully mentioning the weight or critisizing but showing ur concern..
    wat do u think?