Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Moving house mid-academic year

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
edited March 27 in Work & Study
I moved in with my best friend this year (and 3 others), and for no apparent reason he turned on me and has been making life very difficult. I don't flatter myself that I'm the easiest person in the world to live with, but he's been beyond obnoxious - cancelling a holiday without giving me enough notice to sort someone else to travel with or reimburse his costs (which he didn't pay back to me), telling people he wants to know how far he can push me before I commit suicide (as it is I'm just getting over a self-harm problem and have twice tried to strangle myself in the 5 months I've been living with him), telling me I'm a waste of space, refusing to talk to me, asking me to pay £40/month more than everyone else, being rude about my friends, etc. This is all on top of the usual housemate irritants of leaving moudly food in the fridge, shagging randoms in the room next door to mine, letting his hamster crap all over the floor and regularly coming in at stupid hours singing loudly.

So, anyway, my work and health are suffering and I have to move out. I'm going to talk to the landlord once we're back in proper business days (i.e. January 3rd) but I'm wondering if anyone has any experience on moving out at such a weird time - is it easy? Hard? Will it be easy for me to find someone to take over my room?

Thanks!
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Options
    I don't think it would be very easy to find somebody to take over your room as it's so late in the year, but it's still worth a try. Could you afford paying the additional rent if you can't find a replacement while you're living elsewhere?

Perhaps if you go and crash with a mate in a different house for a while, then see if the guy who's been nasty changes his ways a bit? Maybe the space could help you both a bit.

Have you actually had it out with him to see why he's being a dick? Could it be he has problems he isn't telling you about, or he is actually just a wanker? It's worth a try. I think the best solution would be to come out both still mates, but whether that's still possible or not only you know. Also have you spoken much to the others about it? It will get sorted out, please don't let it get to you so much that you think about stuff you shouldn't - 'cos he really isn't worth THAT.
  • Options
    You dont need anyone to fill the room. I know plenty of people who have moved out due to falling out with housemates. If they have the empty room its their problem not yours.
  • Options
    Yes but surely if you don't get someone to fill the room then you'll still have to pay the rent?
  • Options
    Well, not if you do it before rent is due i dont think.
  • Options
  • Options
    Yeah I'm liable for 2 months (just under £800) plus the £430 deposit, unless I find someone to take over the room.
  • Options
    it might not be that difficult to get someone to move in as a lot of courses start in jan. start advertising ur room now.try accommodation for students website cos i know a lot are advitised there and you can advertise. i would move out cos that guy sounds like a dick and he is treating u badly which shouldnt happen.
  • Options
    What sort of contract was it? Was it an individual one or a group one?

i think if it was a group contract then it is down to all members of the house to find a replacement if you choose to leave and have given notice, that way you can fook your housemates up by just leaving and letting them find a replacement seeing as tho they are being gimps :mad: If its an individual contract that you signed then you have to give notice AND find a replacement on your own to replace you.

Have you spoken to your accomodations officer? Maybe they can help you with your situation and maybe talk to your other housemates to let them know that one of them is doing your tit in. :grump: That or have it out with the moomin that's causing you so much stress and ask him exactly what his problem is. Failing that, you could always pee on his toothbrush :lol:
  • Options
    if its just one guy... what do your other housemates think of him?!
    it doesn't have to be you that has to go.
    nobody should be allowed to amke your life that miserable... its just bullying.
    if your other housemates would stand by you... you could get the guy kicked out.

landlords generally imo are not very sympathetic when they stand to loose money... unless you can pay off what you owe or find someone else?! - you could always advertise on notice boards / student email 'things' to find someone.