Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Selling on Ebay?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I recently listed my phone (Simens C65) for sale on Ebay...It was a 7 day listing and as I discovered there was no reserve I put the price at £12.99 with £6 for 1t class royal mail recorded delivery.

Toruble is there are no bids yet and only 4 days to go! Has any one else sold phones with Ebay? Do they tend to go? Do bids tend to come late? Is there any way to increase my chances of getting bids? I really really want to sell it- I want to upgrade and need to cash to put towards it!

Comments

• Options
    I haven't sold anything myself but have brought quite a lot...4 days is still a while to go on the auction, i tend to wait until its coming to an end before i bid...as for increasing your chances i think people tend to look at items if they are listed with a photo? Hope that helps :wave:
  • Options
    Do you have a link to your auction?
  • Options
    Yeah I think they do normally pick up towards the end. Just keep an eye on it.
  • Options
    post the link to the auction, then we can see if theres any reason its not selling.

How much were you hoping it to go for? As people said, most people only bid on the last day of the auction
  • Options
  • Options
    Your new to ebay, with a feedback score of 0. If it doesnt sell this time round i would recomend buying a few small things to get a score of 10 before you start selling, then more people are likely to consider buying your item.
  • Options
    I have only used Ebay once. I never got the item I wanted though. :(
  • Options
    I've used eBay to buy and sell quite a few times. Sometimes items attract lots of bids early on, other times they get no interest until a few minutes before the end. It's always something of a gamble...

Bad time of year to be selling - everyone is skint!!
  • Options
    olaola wrote:
    Your new to ebay, with a feedback score of 0. If it doesnt sell this time round i would recomend buying a few small things to get a score of 10 before you start selling, then more people are likely to consider buying your item.

Exactly what i was going to say :yes:
  • Options
    Your non-existant feedback might cause people to be slightly wary, but it should be ok.

I wouldn't be too concerned. Four days is ages. Bidding doesn't normally start up properly until the last hour.
  • Options
    Your lack of feedback won't help, but the price is unlikely to rise early on, with final selling prices only around the £20-£40 mark.
  • Options
    Dont worry theres 3 days left now thats still loads of time. people do usually wait until last few minutes and then bid i do that.
  • Options
    well have a look and see how much other phones like yours are going for.

also after christmas people might have been given new phones and be too busy with christmas festivities to want to bid on ebay.
  • Options
    the average auction would normally only get 6 or so bids - and not till the last day - though there is a chance with 0 feedback people may assume it's nicked
  • Options
    i would suggest changing the picture to a photo you've taken yourself rather than a press release photo, it shows potential buyers that you actually do have a phone to sell and that it is in good condition.
    If viewers could see the actual phone it might make them more likely to bid...
  • Options
    JsTJsT Posts: 18,268 Skive's The Limit
    Definately get the feedback up first, considering using 'real' photos like icey suggested, I would also offer a cheaper postage option (like 2nd class) as someone not in the rush for the item is unlikely to pay £6 for 1st class.
  • Options
    littlemissylittlemissy Posts: 9,972 Supreme Poster
    There is still plenty of time though.

And don't be too disheartened if it doesn't sell. Lots of things that are put on eBay don't sell. Just relist, lower the price and/or postage costs.
  • Options
    Whenever I list i rarely get bids until the last few days...
  • Options
    It went unsold!! :-(
  • Options
    Mate, I do lots on ebay and there's a few problems with your sale. First, a peeps are right - you need to have a respectable feedback (10 or more) to get people's trust. Buy some stuff. CDs, whatever.
    Second - £6 is too much p+p - that would put me off for sure. £3 is a bit more realistic - as well as with the starting price - start low and people will be more likely to bid, and the price will probably go over £12 (its weird but thats just how people are).

Ebay is such a good thing to get into - when I can be bothered I can usually make £150 a week selling a handful of old rare CDs - with free postage from work. People will buy ANY old shit.

PM me if you need any advice or have any ebay related questions.
  • Options
    Oh, and another one - always spend a few hours hunting around on ebay for the same thing that you're selling. That will give you an indication of how much is out there, thus how much you can charge.
    If there are 20 of the same thing all going to 10p each, forget trying to sell yours. Leave it and it'll probably be a collectors item (no joke - in Denmark the old Nokias from about 5 years ago sell for £150-200 second hand!!)
  • Options
    Im just wondering how much it is to put an item up on ebay? im considering selling some old computer games and random junk that isnt of any use to me.
  • Options
    Irnbru wrote:
    Im just wondering how much it is to put an item up on ebay? im considering selling some old computer games and random junk that isnt of any use to me.

It depends on lots of things like your starting price, if you want extra photos etc. Look at ebay theres a list.
  • Options
    Irnbru wrote:

Check out if any of them are selling already. Computer games are funny. PC games do not sell for that much, if at all. Some console games can sell for a lot of cash, but it tends to be rarer ones - if you bought the same popular games as everyone else then don't expect to make mega bucks from them.