Home Sex & Relationships
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

How dependable are your family?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
My mum is a funny person. She'll say "I'll do it, its ok." and then completely fuck it up. She sid to me a few weeks ago that she was going to put all my bike documentation - the V5, the insurance, etc. etc. away for me so its all together (rather than being on top of the desk). I say thanks. Today, when I need to retax (well, it runs out on the 31st) I ask her whereabouts she put it all. Then she has a go at me for not being organised. She said she put all my stuff in a drawer, so I go through the drawer, and its just my school stuff out of my bag.

Thing what annoys me is SHE used her initiative to put all my stuff away and has promptly lost it, and is annoyed at me! She could have told me "put all of this away in a safe place rather than leaving it on the desk" which I would have done anyway, but you know how mums are compulsive tidyers and organisers.

Now Im incredibly pissed off. Because it wasnt just one, it was everything. And she thinks its my fault. She had a go at me for not doing anything but lpaying on games! I got back last night from staying with family, and went to work even though I was shattered, then went shop for her because she doesnt really go shopping very often anymore (and there was no food in the cupboards), then went bed. In the morning I got up and played on the computer for a bit, brought her a cup of tea in at 12.30pm, she got up at 1.30, and then she watched tv and went to the shop and now she gets back and is accusing me of not doing anything.

I remember a while back when I would ask my mum for a lift anywhere, she would say 'yea, thats fine' and then would be 1/2 hour late leaving because she was having a coffee, would have a go at me for 'making' her give me a lift (even though if she had declined in the first place, I could have made other arrangements) and then often had the cheek to go to the shop for fags which is in the opposite direction, with complete disregard for me. So I started cycling everywhere! And it was a lot better.

Maybe I should do absolutely everything for myself, refuse to eat the food she cooks because she'll just ahve a go at me for her having to cook for me (not that she really does cook a lot anyway, I make about half my own meals as it is, and I eat another quarter or so at the girlfriends house. Most of the meals we have together are takeaways. In fact, I think sunday dinner is the only one she regularly cooks.

I love my family, tonnes in fact, but its driving me up the wall how 'multiple personality' my mum can be. I have no idea how to describe it. Now Im late for going out, and I still havent done my tax which I was going to do, mums moaning at me to do loads of chores because apparently I dont do anything!

Comments

• Options
    Sounds strangely like my mum... :chin:

No matter what you try to do to help, you always get moaned at anyway. Story of my life!
  • Options
    Indrid ColdIndrid Cold Posts: 16,688 Skive's The Limit
    That sounds worse than mine in some aspects... I guess you should not ask her for help on anything from now on, if she's that unreliable.
  • Options
    My dads very unreliable but my mum always looks out for me, typical housewife and caring mother but also a bitch when she wants to be.
  • Options
    My parents rely on me a bit. My mother was born and brought up in Morocco until the age of 11 when she moved to England and my Dad lived there until he married her. Therefore my Dad is extremely literate in Arabic but has a bit of trouble writing letters and stuff in English so I have to write them for him. He's taking extra English lessons atm and has done for the past 2 years and is getting a lot better at it.. aww bless him. My mum always asks me to download music for her from the internet or show her where to go to switch off Bluetooth on her phone as she's useless with technology but that's the case with most mothers. They're quite grateful for the things I do for them which is good but they better not get toooo used to it as I'm hoping to move out soon. If that happens then my sister would get lumbered with their demands *bwahaha*

:lol:
  • Options
    Teh_GerbilTeh_Gerbil Posts: 13,332 Born on Earth, Raised by The Mix
    Blah wrote:
    Sounds strangely like my mum... :chin:

No matter what you try to do to help, you always get moaned at anyway. Story of my life!

How rather true.

Perhaps all Mums do it? And then... say they'll do something, meaning "no, thats never happening."

:p
  • Options
    Could she be depressed Shyboy? Because it can be very difficult to cope with the slightest little demand sometimes when you are. Just a thought.
  • Options
    my mum was always really reliable until she became menopausal, and now she's about as useful as a chocolate fireguard. sweet, but completely batty.

never underestimate the power of female hormones. and then possibly coupled with things like depression, and grief? it's no wonder she's a bit all over the place.

if none of this applies, it's possible your mum could just be annoying. my dad is incredibly annoying, and he can really drive me up the wall for no good reason. no one's perfect though, and i suppose you just have to deal.