Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨

Government's u-turn on prostitution

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Blagsta wrote:
    Sex is part of love.
    Taklking about your feelings is part of love. Is being a therapist or counsellor degrading? I know visiting one can be.
    No, I chose decorating, because I was fairly sure most people wouldn't find it degrading, although I do.

Allowing you to illustrate the point that what one person finds degrading, another wouldn't. Thank you

No one in their right mind finds paying a decorator degrading.
    Taklking about your feelings is part of love. Is being a therapist or counsellor degrading? I know visiting one can be.

What the fuck? Visiting a therapist is degrading now? :lol: I've heard some weird things, but you take the biscuit.
    Blagsta wrote:
    What the fuck? Visiting a therapist is degrading now?
    Not is, can be.

When people tell me they found therapy degrading I believe them. You, however, appear to treat their feelings as a joke. I guess if it gets you out of answering the question it must be fair game.
    I've heard some weird things, but you take the biscuit.
    Sorry, not me.
    Blagsta wrote:
    No one in their right mind finds paying a decorator degrading.
    Deliberately missed the point again, eh Blagsta. Someone brought up to be self reliant would find employing a decorator - not the actual act of payment - degrading.

Or do you not know what degrading means, despite the reference I gave you.
    Blagsta wrote:
    Now you're comparing sex to solving a puzzle.
    yes they are both things I do for enjoyment. you seem to have a weird life where sex is completely unlike anything else.

Now you're saying sex is a "service".
    no, prostitution is a service. Do keep up.
    Are you really telling me that not being able to hang your own wallpaper is the same as selling your body to someone else?
    no, I'm not. I can't even see how you're trying to twist my words to reach that interpretaion.
    You got BIG problems.
    not as big as your lack of english comprehension
    Just to remind people of the government's perspective on prostitution that has led to the decision, in addition to the obvious concern of the people who would actually be living in the suggested decriminialised red light areas -

'Ms Mactaggart told BBC News: "Frankly I do not buy the view that it is the oldest profession and we have to live with it.

"There are things that can and should be done to reduce the impact of prostitution on communities, to reduce the number of women involved in prostitution.

"It is a form of child abuse - most women who are prostitutes started being prostitutes at the age of 13 or 14 and we have got to have strong mechanisms to reduce prostitution."

I would imagine it's this element of child abuse (which wasn't referred to in the original post) which has fundamentally led to the decision not to carry things forward, there's been an increasing examination by children's charities over the last couple of years at the level of child prostitution that exsists in the UK, though of course you could agree that legalising prostitution, rather than what was being suggested, (which was pretty much unregistered, unmonitored cerb-crawling in certain areas), would make this easier to regulate.
    Walkindude wrote:
    A nyway, yes, prostitution has been around since the beginning. It is as old as any insitutuion and provides a harmless service to those in need.

Prostitution might be "as old as any institution" however I hardly believe that those women being trafficked to the UK or trafficked to any country for sex would see it as a harmless service. I expect that they feel very vulnerable. Being raped time and time again day after day is not a harmless service, prostitution is certainly not something that should be advocated. I think zero tolerance should be introduced, but I agree with what others have said...this will need to be backed up with real support for those women involved and they need to be given the opportunity to gain skills that will help keep them off the streets.
    Jim V wrote:
    though of course you could agree that legalising prostitution, rather than what was being suggested, (which was pretty much unregistered, unmonitored cerb-crawling in certain areas), would make this easier to regulate.
    Yes, I don't much object to that part going, it's the proposals for "small licensed brothels and a register of prostitutes." that will be an unfortunate loss; especially as these would have provided the best chance of reducing the problems
    Deliberately missed the point again, eh Blagsta. Someone brought up to be self reliant would find employing a decorator - not the actual act of payment - degrading.

Or do you not know what degrading means, despite the reference I gave you.

You're seriously comparing paying for a decorator with prostitution? You really are quite an odd chap.
    yes they are both things I do for enjoyment. you seem to have a weird life where sex is completely unlike anything else.

You must be having some bad sex if its like doing a puzzle!
    no, prostitution is a service. Do keep up.

A service? Like a taxi service? You get weirder and weirder.
    no, I'm not. I can't even see how you're trying to twist my words to reach that interpretaion.
    not as big as your lack of english comprehension

I'm not the one with the problem - you're the one comparing paying for a decorator with prostitution. :confused::confused::confused::confused:
    please note that I and I don't think anyone has said that women who are brought in under a false guise of work and then made to be prostitutes is right or should be legal. Neither has anyone said that child prostitution should be legal.

We are talking about legalised brothels for women over the age of 18.
    Plenty of society's in the past accepted and legalised prostituion. In an ideal world I guess no one wouldl have to seell thei rbody, but some don't have to, they choose to. In an ideal world we would all have great jobs and wonderful lives with interest and happiness in everything we do but thats not the case.

Have you ever seen or heard of the bunny ranch in the usa? it is a borthel there were the girls choose to be prostitutes, earn thosuands of dollars a month, get free valuable goods, places to live some of them and enjoy their time there. None of them were force dinto it, noe of them HAVE to do it. They choose to. Why should we make what they want to do illegal when it doesn't hurt anyone.

Drugs hurt people so lets get off that subject. Thats the difference.

and excuse me bu tno1 has defined what form of prositution we are talking about. Brothels come into th edebate. You cannot single out and only mention the worst kind sof prostitution just to support your argument.

isn't up to the individual what is degrading and what isn't?

oh and blagsta I am reporting you, I have had enough of your personal insults and comments against me.
    Well what we're debating is the government's change in their plans for dealing with prostitution - they don't get the option to make laws just for people making huge amounts of money as prostitutes - and in the very of the government woman becoming prostitutes at 13 or 14 isn't the worst situation, it's the experience of the majority of uk prostitutes.

And Blagsta, stop being so pedantic - it's doing nowt for any of the debates.
    Walkindude wrote:
    Drugs hurt people so lets get off that subject.

So in your world, prostitution doesn't hurt people?
    Walkindude wrote:

oh and blagsta I am reporting you, I have had enough of your personal insults and comments against me.

Report away.
    Jim V wrote:
    And Blagsta, stop being so pedantic - it's doing nowt for any of the debates.

Where am I being pedantic? :confused:
    Sex is part of love

:lol:
    Carriage Return, to suggest that selling sex is not degrading to the seller is ridiculous.

Every prositute I have ever met or spoken to or even know of has been a victim of abuse in their childhood. Prostitution is a continuation of this abuse.
    Randomgirl wrote:
    Carriage Return, to suggest that selling sex is not degrading to the seller is ridiculous.
    Rubbish. At least no more so than any other service industry. At least that's what all the sex workers I know have told me tell me - your experience is different, but your confidential reason for meeting them probably introduces a different bias to mine.
    Every prositute I have ever met or spoken to or even know of has been a victim of abuse in their childhood.
    I admit I haven't asked this question, but I would consider it unlikely.
    Prostitution is a continuation of this abuse.
    I agree it can be, but regulation would be a better route to addressing this than prohiition.
    Rubbish. At least no more so than any other service industry..

So selling sex is the same as, say, selling potatoes?

You don't half write some shit.
    Rubbish. At least no more so than any other service industry. At least that's what all the sex workers I know have told me tell me - your experience is different, but your confidential reason for meeting them probably introduces a different bias to mine.
    What do you mean by "at least no more so than any other service industry"? Do you think that a similar percentage of working accountants go home and cry at night about how degrading it is to be an accountant?
    Blagsta wrote:
    Where am I being pedantic? :confused:
    In some of the early parts of this thread you seemed pedantic about the minor details of the wall-paper example.

Okay so it was a crap example but the point being made was that in general there can be services where it is the user of the service who is degraded, not the provider.

Actually I'd say that the wall-paper thing is kind of the opposite- if you can afford to pay someone else to hang your wallpaper that is. But this isn't about decorators so it's not really relevant.
    Randomgirl wrote:
    WDo you think that a similar percentage of working accountants go home and cry at night about how degrading it is to be an accountant?
    Then why do it?
    Blagsta wrote:
    So selling sex is the same as, say, selling potatoes?.
    Yes, in as much as selling potatoes is like doing someones accounts
    ---
    Randomgirl wrote:
    What do you mean by "at least no more so than any other service industry"? Do you think that a similar percentage of working accountants go home and cry at night about how degrading it is to be an accountant?
    But neither of us know what either percentage is. From my personal knowlege, 0% of prostitutes do this.

50% of cold call operators I know have quit to become prostitutes; the remaining 50% just quit.

37.5% of IT support staff have been reduced to tears by our customers, 12.5% quit because of it
    Well here is Labour MP of Rotherham and Minister for Europe Denis MacShane's reply , from today’s Telegraph. He argues for prosecution with charges of rape and complete protection of prostitutes, I largely agree with this. Anyone else think this method should be used instead of legalisation? Personally I think legalising it would mean people accept it as normal, which is obviously a bad thing.
    i didn't read the link ...are you saying we protect the prossie by prosecuting the customer for rape?
    how the hell is she supposed to carry on being a whore?

accepting it as normal?
    people have provided sex and sexual favours like forever ...and your still afraid it might be seen as normal!
    But neither of us know what either percentage is. From my personal knowlege, 0% of prostitutes do this.

50% of cold call operators I know have quit to become prostitutes; the remaining 50% just quit.

37.5% of IT support staff have been reduced to tears by our customers, 12.5% quit because of it
    I don't understand how anyone with even the slightest amount of emotional intellenge could write such nonsense as you have done in this thread.
    Then why do it?
    Do you mean why do accounts or why sell sex?

Many women (and men and children) are trapped in this way of life either literally and physically e.g. human traffic victims or in so much as they have not alternative way of earning money for food etc.
    Personally I think legalising it would mean people accept it as normal, which is obviously a bad thing.
    While I don't know anyone who admits to having paid for sex; I believe doing so falls within the normal range of behavior.

Perhaps you believe that Civil partnerships mean people will accept gay partnerships as normal, which would "obviously be a bad thing"