Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Government's u-turn on prostitution

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    You didnt address Disillusioned's point - namely that those on the left should regard the existence of prostitution as unacceptable.
    I find it perfectly acceptable. I find the abuses made possible by the prohibition unacceptable.
  • Options
    I sell my mind to my employer, and I consider that to be better than selling my labour.

That is selling your labour.
    Why do you only talk about women? Men also sell sell sex.

Yes, they do. Which do you think do it more?
  • Options
    turlough wrote:
    I think the only reason he supported it was because the horny goat could get some cheap slags himself.
    Personally, I think it much more likely he wanted our "security forces" to have access to the camera footage from the brothels - to fight "terrorism".

That or his desite to control everyaspect of our lives got the better of him, and this was the first step to controlling what goes on in the bedroom
  • Options
    Blagsta wrote:
    That is selling your labour.
    , so why isn't being paid for sex selling your labour? I don't understand your distinction.
    Yes, they do. Which do you think do it more?
    personally, I know more male than female (my social group contains a roughly equal proportion of both); but I agree that this is likely to be unrepresentative - as a group straight men + lesbians have far greater spending power than gay men and straight women.
  • Options
    , so why isn't being paid for sex selling your labour? I don't understand your distinction.

Well if you want to get into it, I object to my labour being commodified, yes. But that's another thread.
    Sex is different. It just is.
    personally, I know more male than female (my social group contains a roughly equal proportion of both); but I agree that this is likely to be unrepresentative - as a group straight men + lesbians have far greater spending power than gay men and straight women.

All the people involved in the sex industry that I've known have either been deeply hurt people before they went into it or came out deeply damaged. Try asking a prostitute what her opinion of men is and sexual relationships.
  • Options
    ---
  • Options
    You seem to have the wrong end of the stick there BS. I'm arguing in favour of legalising prostitution as a harm reduction strategy.
  • Options
    Someone selling sex, selling their body is degrading.
    I disagree; if anything I feel paying for sex is slightly degrading.

How do you stand on models?
  • Options
    I disagree; if anything I feel paying for sex is slightly degrading.

How can one be degrading and the other not?
    How do you stand on models?

On their ribcage. You?
  • Options
    Blagsta wrote:
    Sex is different. It just is.
    I agree, for a lot of people, sex is a highly personal thing; it isn't a profession that many people can enter lightly; but for many people, risking one's life to save others is highly personal, and in the same way firefighting isn't a professionthat many people can enter lightly.
    All the people involved in the sex industry that I've known have either been deeply hurt people before they went into it or came out deeply damaged.
    I think much the same of the armed forces. But that hasn't been my experience - but perhaps the people I know are from the higher end of the profession
    Try asking a prostitute what her opinion of men is and sexual relationships.
    opinion of men, or customers? The women I know seem to have a normal attitude to men, and a reasonable view of sexual relationships. But then you may disagree with what I consider to be a healthy view of sex.
  • Options
    Blagsta wrote:
    How can one be degrading and the other not?
    Err, because in general if something is degrading one way it enhances the other.

Paying someone to hang wall paper degrading, being a decorator is a skilled trade.
  • Options
    Err, because in general if something is degrading one way it enhances the other.

Paying someone to hang wall paper degrading, being a decorator is a skilled trade.

Paying someone to put your wallpaper up is degrading? Eh? :confused::confused::confused:
  • Options
    Blagsta wrote:
    Paying someone to put your wallpaper up is degrading? Eh? :confused::confused::confused:
    Exactly. I don't know how people can bear to do it, but they do - and they go down in my estimation as a result.
  • Options
    Exactly. I don't know how people can bear to do it, but they do - and they go down in my estimation as a result.

You've completely lost me.
  • Options
    I agree, for a lot of people, sex is a highly personal thing; it isn't a profession that many people can enter lightly; but for many people, risking one's life to save others is highly personal, and in the same way firefighting isn't a professionthat many people can enter lightly.

You're comparing firefighting with selling sex? :confused:
    I think much the same of the armed forces. But that hasn't been my experience - but perhaps the people I know are from the higher end of the profession

I think the same of the armed forces too, but thats another thread.
    opinion of men, or customers? The women I know seem to have a normal attitude to men, and a reasonable view of sexual relationships. But then you may disagree with what I consider to be a healthy view of sex.

As I said - all the women I've known in the sex industry (from telephone sex line operators to strippers to prostitutes) have all felt degraged by the experience.
  • Options
    Blagsta wrote:
    You've completely lost me.
    I can't see where. I don't think anything there is mistyped or ambiguous. What don't you uinderstand.
  • Options
    I can't see where. I don't think anything there is mistyped or ambiguous. What don't you uinderstand.

You think that hanging wall paper is degrading. That. I don't understand that.
  • Options
    Blagsta wrote:
    You're comparing firefighting with selling sex? :confused:
    Yes, it involves people doing for strangers what many would only do for those they knew.
    As I said - all the women I've known in the sex industry (from telephone sex line operators to strippers to prostitutes) have all felt degraged by the experience.
    well yes, anyone I know in the service industries (call center script monkeys, on site engineers, barmen) feels degraded by the experience.

Everyone finds performance reviews to be degrading.
  • Options
    Blagsta wrote:
    You think that hanging wall paper is degrading. That. I don't understand that.
    No I don't. I consider having someone else hang your paper for you is degrading to you
  • Options
    Yes, it involves peopel doing for strangers what many would only do for those they knew.

You've totally lost me. Again.
    well yes, anyone I know in the service industries (call center script monkeys, on site engineers, barmen) feels degraded by the experience.

In conventional employment [people do] find performance reviews to be degrading.

I'd agree with you that a lot of jobs and what we have to go through can be degrading. That's what happens when you have an economic system that treats peopel as commodity objects rather than subjective beings. But sex is different. Sex is how people communicate their love for each other, their passion. It does not fulfil the same role as hanging wallpaper. Its absurd to even suggest it does.

*edited to remove personal information about a 3rd party*
  • Options
    No I don't. I consider having someone else hang your paper for you is degrading to you

How odd. :confused::confused:
  • Options
    Blagsta wrote:
    But sex is different. Sex is how people communicate their love for each other, their passion.
    no it isn't. Sex is sex. Love is quite different.
    It does not fulfil the same role as hanging wallpaper. Its absurd to even suggest it does.
    And I never suggested it was.

I did suggest risking your life to save anothers was like sex. - in that some people would only do it for thosesd they loved, some for their friends, and some would do it as a career
  • Options
    no it isn't. Sex is sex. Love is quite different.

Sex is part of love.
    And I never suggested it was.

yes you did.
    I did suggest risking your life to save anothers was like sex. - in that some people would only do it for thosesd they loved, some for their friends, and some would do it as a career

• Options
    Blagsta wrote:
    Sex is part of love.
    I guess you've never had sex with a stranger, or a friend. How odd.
    yes you did.
    No, learn to read. You asked how one party to a transaction could be degraded without the other side being degraded. I gave the wall paper hanging/decorator as an example of that.

because you clearly failed to follow it, I will try to keep it simple for you:
    A decorator is a skilled craftsman.
    Decorating is a respected trade.
    That someone considers the decorator competant enough they will pay them to hang paper enhances the status of the decorator.
    I consider being unable to hang wallpaper degrading.

therefore, when someone pays a decorator to hang paper, the customer is degraded in my eyes, and the decorator is enhanced. this is in response to your question "How can one be degrading and the other not?"

I'm sorry it all went above your head
  • Options
    I guess you've never had sex with a stranger, or a friend. How odd.

I've had plenty of one night stands thanks. Thats part of it - the older I get, the more I think that shagging around is a very empty way to live your life.
    No, learn to read. You asked how one party to a transaction could be degraded without the other side being degraded. I gave the wall paper hanging/decorator as an example of that.

You're comparing decoration to prostitution however indirectly and I find it quite bizarre that you find paying a decorator degrading. :confused:
    because you clearly failed to follow it, I will try to keep it simple for you:
    A decorator is a skilled craftsman.
    Decorating is a respected trade.
    That someone considers the decorator competant enough they will pay them to hang paper enhances the status of the decorator.
    I consider being unable to hang wallpaper degrading.

therefore, when someone pays a decorator to hang paper, the customer is degraded in my eyes, and the decorator is enhanced. this is in response to your question "How can one be degrading and the other not?"

I'm sorry it all went above your head

Yep. Someone who thinks paying a decorator is degrading is obviously using some definition of degrading known only to themselves. Bizarre. :confused::confused:
  • Options
    I don't think he actually finds it degrading, he's just using it as an example to combat your argument.
  • Options
    So he's using an example of something that isn't degrading in any way to illustrate being degraded? Eh?
  • Options
    Blagsta wrote:
    I've had plenty of one night stands thanks. Thats part of it - the older I get, the more I think that shagging around is a very empty way to live your life.
    Too much of anything can be a bore; but I find "shagging around" adds colour to my life, as does reading a good book, watching a film, sharing a joke, having a drink, solving a puzzle....
    You're comparing decoration to prostitution however indirectly
    it being a service performed by one person at the behest of another for monetary reward, I suppose so. A don't think you can deny that comparisson. But I have not compared it in the way you are failing to imply.
    Yep. Someone who thinks paying a decorator is degrading is obviously using some definition of degrading known only to themselves. Bizarre. :confused::confused:

2: To lower in dignity; dishonor or disgrace.

I was brought up to believe one should be able to wash, cook and clean oneself, service ones own car, and hang ones own wallpaper and shelves. To fail in any of these areas of self-reliance would lower my sense of dignity, and lead to me feeling degraded; and by projection anyone paying a decorator simply to hang wall paper.
  • Options
    Blagsta wrote:
    So he's using an example of something that isn't degrading in any way to illustrate being degraded? Eh?
    No, I chose decorating, because I was fairly sure most people wouldn't find it degrading, although I do.

Allowing you to illustrate the point that what one person finds degrading, another wouldn't. Thank you
  • Options
    Too much of anything can be a bore; but I find "shagging around" adds colour to my life, as does reading a good book, watching a film, sharing a joke, having a drink, solving a puzzle....

Now you're comparing sex to solving a puzzle. You just get weirder and weirder.
    it being a service performed by one person at the behest of another for monetary reward, I suppose so. A don't think you can deny that comparisson. But I have not compared it in the way you are failing to imply.

Now you're saying sex is a "service". You really are quite an odd chap.
    2: To lower in dignity; dishonor or disgrace.

I was brought up to believe one should be able to wash, cook and clean oneself, service ones own car, and hang ones own wallpaper and shelves. To fail in any of these areas of self-reliance would lower my sense of dignity, and lead to me feeling degraded; and by projection anyone paying a decorator simply to hang wall paper.

Are you really telling me that not being able to hang your own wallpaper is the same as selling your body to someone else? You got BIG problems.