Home Sex & Relationships
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

height and relationships!

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Guys, have you ever had girlfriends, or would you be prepared to go out with a girl, who was taller than you?
Girls, same question - what do you/would you think about having a boyfriend who was shorter than you?

As a guy, I would find it a bit odd I think to go out with someone much taller than me. I know this goes against the whole line of thought that if you get on with someone well enough then physical stuff shouldn't matter so much, blah blah, but I would find it quite awkward to ask a girl out who was much taller than me, and I think it would be even stranger kissing them! Just tonight I met up with some friends, one of whom I realised is probably the most beautiful girl I've ever known :love: , but it wouldn't even really occur to me to consider asking her out because she's quite a bit taller than I am.
The thing is, for me to have that approach rules out quite a few options as I'm not so tall myself - about average at 5 foot 7 inches..... :chin: :rolleyes: :banghead:

Comments

• Options
    Being just about 6'5 i doubt im ever actually going to meet a woman taller than me. lol. But to be honest , if i was shorter, yeah id probably feel a bit odd ... i guess its a primal kinda instinctual feeling that the man should be bigger than the woman (i apologise for how chauvenistic that might sound.hehe).
    I did meet a girl of 6'2 once and ill admit that there was a certain curiosity there about how things would work out since all my experience is with girls quite abit shorter than me (my gf is almost a foot shorter than me).
  • Options
    SkiveSkive Posts: 15,284 Skive's The Limit
    I wouldn't go out with a bird taller than me. It would feel strange.
    Weekender Offender 
  • Options
    ive never considered this when im attracted to someone. i dont think itd be a problem to go out with a guy who was shorter than me but who knows what would happen when the time come...
  • Options
    i wouldnt go out with a guy shorter than me i dont think, but you can never really say for definite because i dont know how id feel if i really fell for someone who was shorter than i am.
  • Options
    I was interested in a guy earlier this year and when I wasn't wearing heels he was about an inch talker than me, but when I was in heels I was bout an inch taller than him...I tend to wear heels when I go out a lot.

It was only about an inch difference, but in my mind I could see that and it felt real weird standing next to him. I prefer a guy to be about 5 or 6 inches taller than me...one where I can stand next to him and comfortably snuggle into his shoulder :)
  • Options
    I'm 5foot2 and my bf is 6foot3 so I have to launch myself at him to kiss him.

It would be hard to find a man shorter than me tbh.
  • Options
    I always go for girls smaller than me.
  • Options
    Randomgirl wrote:

i'm 5'1. Finding a guy shorter than me is near impossible.
  • Options
    I've never really considered this until a similiar topic popped up not long ago, and then i began to notice it loads, and i'd say now i would tend to avoid dating a girl who was taller than me. Of course I'm not particularly tall myself, but y'know....i don't think it would feel right.

At the same time, i hate being quite a bit taller, because then i feel....over powering...

So I don't know...
  • Options
    I'm 6'1, never been with a girl taller than me, but I was once with a girl who was about 5'7, and when she wore heels it was quite intimidating, but also quite nice!

Guess it just depends on how much you're bothered about looking like the "normal" couple? I personally don't think it matters too much, if you like the girl enough then go for it!
  • Options
    tall girls = win
  • Options
    I dont think I could go for a guy who was shorter than me. It would just feel wrong. all my bfs (bar one) have been over 6'foot and I plan to keep it that way. If I could find a hench 7'footer I would be the happist girl in town lol.
  • Options
    Im qute tall for a girl (5'7) so I tend to find a lot of guys are about the same hright as me which I dont like much. My boyfriend is only a couple of inches taller so heels are out of the question! Id love to be a little shorter...
  • Options
    ok i'm 6ft so normally their shorter than me, but i did see one girl who was taller 6ft2", was kind of strange. i do tend to go for ones shorter, i like them around the 5ft-5ft6" mark dont know why they just look nicer for some reason
  • Options
    BunnieBunnie Posts: 6,099 Master Poster
    i have a thing for tall lads, im only 5'3 but they have to be a fair few inches taller than me. 2 of my exes were both 6'5, which was amusing, but i liked it! lol! its nice to feel protected.
  • Options
    Yeah he must be a wee bit taller.

Mine's the now is like, 6'0. It's brill.
  • Options
    tacs1895 wrote:
    Guys, have you ever had girlfriends, or would you be prepared to go out with a girl, who was taller than you?
    no. but I've had blokes both taller and shorter and it makes little difference
  • Options
    I'm 5' 6" and recently had a girl who is nearer to 6' after me. The whole idea of it seemed very strange. Mind you, I know a guy at work who is 5' 4" and he has been out with a number of girls over 6'. It almost seems to be the norm for him.
  • Options
    I'm 5'10 and I've always liked guys my brothers and dads height of 6'4 - 6'6. Though I've never had a real "relationship" with one. My man is the same size as me, so he thinks, but I know I'm about 1/2 inch taller.
  • Options
    Randomgirl wrote:

Similar to me. I'm male and 5'4", which narrows down the possibilities significantly.
  • Options
    It would be strange to go out with someone taller than me. I'm so used to looking down on them as every female I know is tiny. :lol:

No, of course not - height is irrelevant.
  • Options
    quarfly wrote:

No, of course not - height is irrelevant.
    So would you date a woman who was 6'7? Or a midget? :p
  • Options
    I'm 5'7" and I've been out with guys taller than me in the past but I wouldn't say no to a shorter man just because he was shorter.
  • Options
    my_name wrote:
    So would you date a woman who was 6'7? Or a midget? :p

Ah, I hate the imperial system. Wait, is that even the imperial system? All these different measurements like stones, ounces, acres make me so damn confused. Also, I can't be bothered to learn them all.

Of course I wouldn't date a midget. :p

Maybe I would. :eek:

Let me rephrase: Height is irrelevant to a certain extent.
  • Options
    :yippe:

im 6'1. heh

Oh sweet! I'm 5'10 but my baby sister is 6'1 now. Shes so pretty! Though she has a size smaller feet than me :chin:
  • Options
    my_name wrote:
    Shes so pretty! Though she has a size smaller feet than me :chin:
    dont get me on feet. its a right pain in the .... for me to find shoe's and trainers i like in my size, anad when i do i have to pay more. i blame my perants.
  • Options
    quarfly wrote:
    Ah, I hate the imperial system. Wait, is that even the imperial system? All these different measurements like stones, ounces, acres make me so damn confused. Also, I can't be bothered to learn them all.

It depends on what you are quantifiying.

If it's height, weight or distance, then it's imperial.

If it's temperature, then it's Celcuis, not Farienheit.
  • Options
    Monserrat wrote:
    It depends on what you are quantifiying.

If it's height, weight or distance, then it's imperial.

If it's temperature, then it's Celcuis, not Farienheit.
    I was talking with my boyfriend about penis lengths and he was using centimetres (he is foreign) and I said that in england we always talk about penis length in inches never cm and now he thinks that we have a special unit just for willys (I use cm for everything else really)
  • Options
    I use cm and mt, so I have really no idea how tall or short you peolpe are :D
    I'm quite short, even for a girl, so I had really never asked myself this question since I saw it written here...

mmmmmmmmm.......

nah, I think I wouldn't like dating a guy who was shorter than me (this is a hypothetical situation of course, since I don't think I'll ever encounter a guy who was shorter than me)...

For those of you who can use the metric system... I'm 1m 58cm. (I had two boyfriends who were really tall, 1m 83cm and 1m 95cm... I broke up with them cause of the neck pain ;) )
  • Options
    we all have our preferences, but at the end of the day if you find someone that is kind hearted and cares for you then I think that should come first.

If you don't like someone's hair then fair enough cos they can always style it differently, that's their choice

But if you simply say yes or no to someone based on factors that they can't change about themselves like their height (or even race) then I think that's really sad... espacially if it against a guy cos he hasn't really got the option of putting on a pair of high heels, etc.

I say judge people on the things about themselves they choose, such as the way they dress, conduct themselves, if they choose to smoke or drink heavily... but go easy on the things they had no choice about.