Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Maths Hols Homework... *grrrrrr*

BillieTheBotBillieTheBot Posts: 8,721 Bot
edited March 27 in Work & Study
(i think this should be here...)
I'm having a real difficulty in understaning bearings and trigonometry, which we've been set for homework.. Now i understand that when working with bearings you have to remember that it always starts at north, measure clockwise and always give a bearing in a 3 digit number...but how do you actually do it!!?? :banghead:

My first questiong in the exercise is:
1a - A ship sails for 75 km on a bearing of 078 degrees (don't know how to do a little o). How far east has it travelled?
b - How far north has the ship sailed?

i got A but only by going through Tan, Cos and Sin to find out. B im stuck with altogether.. :no:
And how are you ment to work it out if the angle is greater than 90 degrees. The book says somthing about some ratios with negative values and to avoid this you must find a right angled triangle that we can readily use. What!!?? doesn't make any sense to me what so ever, so please, pleeeeaaase, any help, tips or simple explanations would be grately appriciated!!!!!! :yes:
Beep boop. I'm a bot.
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    IIRC:
    You have to draw a triangle. Mark on the values that you already know. Without actually drawing it out, I couldn't tell you which ratio to use.
    When labeling the triganle, put N, E & S instead of H, O & A.
  • Options
    (i think this should be here...)

i got A but only by going through Tan, Cos and Sin to find out. B im stuck with altogether.. :no:
    Are you still stuck?

If you can find a) then you can apply a very similar method to find b).

If the angle if greater than 90 degrees you can minus 90 and work with the smaller angle and then adjust your answer as appropriate at the end depending on exactly what was being asked.
  • Options
    I'd firstly point out that this isn't a homework club.

Draw a right-angle triangle, perpendicular to the vertical and horizontal. You therefore know two angles (90 and 78), and the length of the hypotenuse. It's a simple calculation from there.