Home Drink & Drugs
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨

coke / e

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Been dropping for a while now. A few of my friends are into coke, but I'm not so sure about it myself. I've heard the high is over sooner, and it's much more of an "ego-trip" in comparison to the loved-upness of E. If that is actually the case, coupled with the price difference, I'd prob just stick with what I know best. But please share your thoughts :)

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    welcome to the boards.

In very simle terms the difference between E and Cocaine can be summed up thus;

Cocaine does have a much shorter qualitative duration of action from the initial dose, being 30-45 mins as opposed to the 2-3.5 hrs reported in MDMA (E/pills) use (assuming that is what you are getting).

MDMA works by stimulating the CNS (central nervous system) in a similar manner to amphetamine but also acts as a serotonin agonist, which means it increases the production of serotonin in the brain. Serotonin is a neurotransmitter which is known to have a role in the regulation of mood, sleep and appetite. The euphoria and empathy you experience on E is derrived from this action, which abbates after around 2-3 hours and (in conjunction with any physical factors, for example tiredness from dancing) produces the comedown effect as your brain re-establishes normal serotonin function.

The cocaine buzz works by stimulating the CNS as well as the production of dopamine in the brain (a neurotransmitter linked to 'reward' sensations), which is why some people describe the sensation as like 'waves of pleasure'.

Qualitatively, Cocaine (especially in conjunction with alcohol) is known to produce confident sensations and leave users prone to extroverted behaviour. E is known to do this, but within a much more empathetic framework.

In clearest terms many people with experience of both would describe their best E buzz as far more profound than their best coke buzz, however many also feel the comedown from E far more severely than with cocaine.

To quote a US Drug policy academic (i forget which one) in the ABC documentary 'Ecstasy rising'; 'I know people who like to use cocaine...i've never heard 'cocaine improved my life'...MDMA, lots of people claim, it improved my life, and interestingly many still claim this after they have stopped using it'.

Also there is the ethical issue with cocaine; MDMA is manufactured by career criminals, so your money is going into the hands of some unsavoury characters...Cocaine funds horrific civil wars and provides THE main impotus for political and social instability in latin american (even today, check out this for an example of the impact of cocaine production
    ). Every cocaine user should be at least aware of the sheer scale of misery that the cocaine trade entails...

At the end of the day the choice is yours, these only reflect the bulk of my understanding, for more (in depth) information please visit;

www.erowid.org

for legal advice;

www.drugscope.org.uk

and for a simple crash course in neuroscience (how your brain works);

http://faculty.washington.edu/chudler/neurok.html

(dont be put off by the 'for kids' part, its a brilliantly readable summary of basic brain physiology and chemistry and was on the reading list for a first year course at University of Birmingham, so it cant be that bad!)
    Ecstacy wins hands down but coke is a good drug to go to after you quit taking E's which will eventually happen.
    Thanks for the info martin it was very informative!

turlough - I've a while before I get to that stage I reckon :)
    turlough - I've a while before I get to that stage I reckon

don't be so sure about that one, this is definately one substance that will abuse you if you abuse it (this is also dependant upon the physiology of the individual and other such factors).

If i were still taking it, which i am not, i would take it probably no more than 3-4 times a year, in much smaller doses, e.g: waiting for some good pills to come around and taking just one. If it doesnt work, oh well theres always next time rather than munching a batch of beans and feeling like absolute shite for days.

Ecstasy was great at the beginning and i am glad that i was allowed the privilage of experiencing it, but that is also tempered with the fact that after my last session I was in a depressive state for about 2-3 months. The mood swings were utterly unbearable, and subsequently from what i have learned i believe that i was in a state that could be described as a form of manic depression for at least the first half of that period (physical tiredness, severe paranoia, panic attacks, alternating between euphoria and terrible melancholy).

I should like to point out that i was never diagnosed as such, but i have since learned that acute serotonin depletion can have this severe 'bi-polar' effect and the effects i experienced do tally with this condition. There is a large amount of qualitative data from users to support this as well.

I've rabitted on a bit and this only reflects my experience, however i would urge you to watch 1) the frequency of your usage 2) the amount you are taking in one session 3) poly-drug use (this means anything you take with it, including marijuana may effect the duration of your comedown for example) I say may, as in there is no conclusive proof of this yet.

In fact i think i'll end by saying that we are still playing with a relatively untested toy here; there are only two studies into the effects of ecstasy use that are held in high regard, one a German study the other Dutch. I shall try to post links to these later, although they are undoubtedly on Erowid if you poke around.

Take care.
  • SkiveSkive Posts: 15,282 Skive's The Limit
    I took ecstasy on a regular basis for around 8 years. Only in the last 3 years or so have I used much coke, and even then it's been no more than once or twice a month.

I don't like coke, it makes me edgy
    Weekender Offender 
    turlough wrote:
    Ecstacy wins hands down but coke is a good drug to go to after you quit taking E's which will eventually happen.

Exactly what he said.
    Well i have stopped taking pills regularly and i do them once every 4-5 months because the come downs are awful!!!! does anyone kno any tips for easing the come down? i use valium but then i become a vegetable! coke for me has no come down really, not compared to pills. pills just drain every resource, i feel like i want to die one a come down!

PD
    If you can bring yourself to do it get pissed on a comedown.

Or get something to eat, have a shower and go to sleep.
    Yeah, good point, i find that getting pissed after is a good idea, but sleep and time seem to be the best healers, its just the awful mood it puts you in. as i say, if u havent tried it, valium are pills from heaven.
    Getting pissed is the best thing but bad for the body.

I just can't cope with the comedowns anymore, more to do with the fact I get terrible panic attacks on them than anything else.
    i love coke but ive never taken pills am going to soon mind, i think what i like about coke is i dont feel particularly 'drugged up' and coz the high is short theres less risk of me disliking the trip, your tolerance builds up well quick though.
    im allways on and off beans. i dont do em for a while then i have a crazy few days whcih makes me remember why i stopped taking them.
    whats beans? same as pills? yeah this is it, the comedowns when i fisrt did pills i could handle for about 6 months and then as time went on the comedowns got worse and took much longer to recover from them, not to mention loosing about 50 iq the next day, my brain just can process. went out last fri morning 3am and took 1 for the first time in 5 months and i was fucked but i realised why i dont take em' no more, just felt shit!
    Your right girl_runner, i think coke is great but it's too expensive for the high, like £40 worth of alcohol, speed or pills would get you far more mangled than a gram of coke but i suppose if you can afford it it's ok.
    I've only ever done MDMA once (1/4 gram crystals bombed at a tidy boys nite in swansea). Personally whilst "loved up" for the first time I turned and said to someone who'd dropped with me "Bye Bye coke, this is my new number one drug". About a week after dropping for the first time I was browsing erowid.org when I started thinking about cocaine. It was only after doing MDMA that I realised how shit coke was. I still love doing coke but when you actually think about it it's really not that good. You're in a pub/club you nip to the toilets for 10 minutes come back and be an abnoxious twat for half an hour then sit quitely looking dejected 'cos you're trying to work out if any of your mates have got any more to crash you a line. Admitidly at the time you do feel good which is why I do still do it but personally if you're having a nite on class A drugs make it MDMA and go to a rave. I only use coke now in small amounts in relatively "normal" situations (in the local pub, at home with a couple of my housemates etc....). I use coke to make a boring/normal nite a slightly better nite. As for the price of coke I go on all the time about it being over priced but I still pay £50 for a gram so I can't really complain!
    In conclusion, cocaine is very over-rated and in my opinion to fully appriciate cocaine you have to sit and think "what would I feel like now if I hadn't done coke?". It is very subtle and also quite adictive. I think that cocaine is quite a good introduction into "hard drugs" for someone who for example has only ever smoked weed, as a lot of first time users feel no effects. MDMA gives a much better feeling than cocaine but you also lose the ability to be in any normal social situation (talking to "sober" people etc... it may be very obvious you're on drugs), it also has a worse comedown (coke having vitually no comedown bar slight moodswings a few days later).
    For a big nite out when you plan on doing drugs do MDMA, if you're got a bit of spare cash and fancy making a normal nite out better buy a bit of coke but be careful you dont get hooked.
    Well I'll agree that coke isn't as good as it's made out to be but if used properly it's quite a good drug. No class A drug should be taken every weekend, I found that with ecstacy, it's such a brilliant buzz but it gets boring after a while and you'll find yourself taking it every weekend and the buzz you'll end up with is nothing like the original buzz. So while most people turn from ecstacy to coke, you've done the opposite, my only advice is to moderate your use, take it at the big occassions, not sitting in the pub/street with your mates.
    I know that I am young but I somehow feel that I do have my drug use in control (that does not mean I am in denile before anyone accuses me!). I use a fair bit of weed but I am concious of how much I use and I do try and regulate my useage so as to enhance the buzz and also to make sure I keep my head realtively straight. I've used MDMA once and I plan on using it again but I do plan on leaving fairly long gaps between use and I am aware that eventually I will stop using it because it will stop being as good as it is now.
    As for coke, if someone offers me a free line I'll happily endulde. If I somehow end up with a fair bit of cash I may buy a gram or go halfs on an eigth but I do not consider my use frequent as it normally works out to be every month or two often puntuated with six month gaps.