Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

How much am I worth?

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    katralla wrote:
    Um, how much money do you think it takes to raise a child? Do you propose a woman saves this much money before having a child? I think your idea is silly as the age most women would be after saving this amount is well beyond the biological prime for childbirth. Not a great idea for hte children eh? Or the mothers!

raising a child does not demand a lot of money. as long as the child is safe, warm, clothed and fed, they are doing great.

my parents barely had two pennies to rub together when we were small, and we did just fine. we didn't have such luxuries as disposable nappies, or new clothes (they had been handed down 3 other cousins/siblings before they got to me), and my dad and grandma made/knitted most of our toys themselves, but we were healthy and we were happy.

it's easier to have money, yes, but it's not vital.

off the point totally, but it annoys me when people go on about how expensive kids are.
  • Options
    but WHY do you think it would be beneficial for women to stay at home looking after the kids? i do perfectly fine thanks and my parents have always BOTH worked.

and something else..just because you've paid taxes before doesn't give you the right to think 'well i've paid them before so i don't have to do it again'.

You can't keep asking me why I think "it would be beneficial for women to stay at home looking after the kids?" as THAT IS A DUMB ASS QUESTION. It is a dumbass question because:

a) Your basic comprehension skills are lacking

b) I am not going to defend a view I don't hold; only those I do.

c) Women or men who choose to 'stay at home' or wherever their caring takes place, should be able to do so as a concious choice without social and/or economic penalty!

Your arguement that 'you turned out fine' with no full-time home carer holds no water with me as I beg to differ. Also, you one person, what may (or may not) have been 'fine' for you should not define the rule.

And in response to your other 'query', not only have I already paid taxes, but I continue to do so. Do you think that my Grandmother, who's never paid ANY income tax, should not be entitled to a pension and bus pass? Or are you limiting your objection to the use of government funds in supporting those on a low income due to motherhood responsibilities?
  • Options
    kaffrin wrote:
    raising a child does not demand a lot of money. as long as the child is safe, warm, clothed and fed, they are doing great.

my parents barely had two pennies to rub together when we were small, and we did just fine. we didn't have such luxuries as disposable nappies, or new clothes (they had been handed down 3 other cousins/siblings before they got to me), and my dad and grandma made/knitted most of our toys themselves, but we were healthy and we were happy.

it's easier to have money, yes, but it's not vital.

off the point totally, but it annoys me when people go on about how expensive kids are.

I agree with you, it isn't money and luxuries that raise a child but it does take money to enable a child to be 'warm and safe', a roof over ones head, clothes and heating do not come for free. I also think that we should have a safety net to ensure that children and other vulnerable people do not live below the poverty line, it's unnecesary. This safety net is already in existance and supporting many, I just think the support system could do with a tweek.
  • Options
    This article expresses some of the issues we've been discussing: http://www.theage.com.au/articles/2002/07/31/1027926912827.html
  • Options
    katralla wrote:
    You can't keep asking me why I think "it would be beneficial for women to stay at home looking after the kids?" as THAT IS A DUMB ASS QUESTION. It is a dumbass question because:

b) I am not going to defend a view I don't hold; only those I do.

She does not lack comprehension skills. You lack the ability to overlook the small inclusion of the word "women" rather than "a parent" in her question and actually respond to the question overall.

Why should people stay at home? When should they return to work? What about people who don't actually want to stay at home, what benefits in kind do they get?

c) Women or men who choose to 'stay at home' or wherever their caring takes place, should be able to do so as a concious choice without social and/or economic penalty!

Why? It's (generally) your choice to have a child. Why should the rest of society pay for your choice?

Your arguement that 'you turned out fine' with no full-time home carer holds no water with me as I beg to differ. Also, you one person, what may (or may not) have been 'fine' for you should not define the rule.

Largely an irrelevant personal insult, but to address the only valid point, what do you think defines the "rule" then, and for what reasons?
    And in response to your other 'query', not only have I already paid taxes, but I continue to do so. Do you think that my Grandmother, who's never paid ANY income tax, should not be entitled to a pension and bus pass? Or are you limiting your objection to the use of government funds in supporting those on a low income due to motherhood responsibilities?

I'm not really sure how your gran fits in to any of this, I doubt she's going to be having children any time soon.
  • Options
    katralla wrote:
    I agree with you, it isn't money and luxuries that raise a child but it does take money to enable a child to be 'warm and safe', a roof over ones head, clothes and heating do not come for free.

they also aren't THAT expensive. i dress myself and i feed myself and i heat a house, and i know what it costs. or rather, what it CAN cost if you need to save a little money. and it isn't the vast sum you were implying in the first post i responded to.
    I also think that we should have a safety net to ensure that children and other vulnerable people do not live below the poverty line, it's unnecesary.

is it necessary that people like me have to live below the poverty line because so much of our income is taken away to support others?

i think benefits are necessary, but they are in place to support the needy, not just anyone who fancies having a child/not working and wants a free ride. so to propose that all mothers should be supported by everyone else, not only is it no workable, it's not fair. what would happen if every woman decided to have a baby? that's almost half your workforce gone, right there.
  • Options
    katralla wrote:

what?!?!

i was asking something about what YOU said.

can't be arsed with you anymore. it's like talking to a brick wall.
  • Options

i was asking something about what YOU said.

PROVE IT! QUOTE ME!
  • Options
    littlemissylittlemissy Posts: 9,972 Supreme Poster
    katralla wrote:
    PROVE IT! QUOTE ME!

You are saying that "mothers should mother". How else can a mother "mother" their child in the ways you are saying they should be able to without staying at home to look after her children?

Your arguments are all flawed. You have no basic understanding of how the state works, you only have your cuckoo-land way of how you think it should work. Why should people get more support for having children? If they want to stay at home and look after their children then they should make themselves able to do so by saving beforehand and preparing for such an event. Why should they get a higher pension than those who have worked their entire lives? Why should they just get money thrown at them by the state? Money does not grow on trees. Wake up to reality now.

Like Kaff said, my family all lived on the breadline for my whole childhood, hardly any money, definitely none for the luxuries of new clothes, brand new toys etc. Not even at Christmas! And I had the happiest childhood of all my friends. You don't need shedloads of money to be able to get by in this world. It may help, but as long as you have love and shelter in a family then the rest is immaterial.

Give it up now.
  • Options
    Lucifer Devil is insisting that I think that "it would be beneficial for women to stay at home looking after the kids" but this is not what I have written. You think that the only way I think "mother "mother" their child in the ways you are saying" would be by "staying at home to look after her children". This is not what I think at all, and if you re-read my posts you will find the evidence. Teachers and Doctors and other proffesionals contribute to 'mothering' our children and they do not usually do this from home. My arguement does not require women to stay at home looking after her kids to improve the quality of 'motherhood'. Therefore it is you who has a 'cuckoo-land' way of reading and comprehending!
  • Options
    katralla wrote:
    Lucifer Devil is insisting that I think that "it would be beneficial for women to stay at home looking after the kids" but this is not what I have written. You think that the only way I think "mother "mother" their child in the ways you are saying" would be by "staying at home to look after her children". This is not what I think at all, and if you re-read my posts you will find the evidence. Teachers and Doctors and other proffesionals contribute to 'mothering' our children and they do not usually do this from home. My arguement does not require women to stay at home looking after her kids to improve the quality of 'motherhood'. Therefore it is you who has a 'cuckoo-land' way of reading and comprehending!

Your "arguement" still makes no sense, and my comprehension skills are fine, thank you. I have re-read your posts many times over the last few days and you have provided no "evidence". I am not even sure what "evidence" you are trying to put forward. How exactly can a doctor or whoever "mother" your children?

What exactly *is* your argument? Maybe if you clear that up and improve your communication skills we would perhaps not jump to the conclusion that lucifer devil, mist, myself and probably countless others have jumped to. I am not even sure you yourself know.

Oh, and please don't come back with the whole "you lack comprehension skills" because, as I have already stated, my comprehension skills are just fine :)
  • Options
    katralla wrote:
    My arguement does not require women to stay at home looking after her kids to improve the quality of 'motherhood'. Therefore it is you who has a 'cuckoo-land' way of reading and comprehending!

Your so-called argument seems to change from one second to the next. Perhaps it is you with the communication problem, if so many people are not getting whatever it is you're trying to say.
  • Options
    Well, if we look at the education system for an example, which doesn't involve 'women staying at home', we can see that private schools with a lower pupil:teacher ratio amongst other differences, gain better results. If there were more funds available for schools to lower the pupil:teacher ratio, the 'mothering' of the proletariat's children would be better educated- no?
  • Options
    katralla wrote:
    Well, if we look at the education system for an example, which doesn't involve 'women staying at home', we can see that private schools with a lower pupil:teacher ratio amongst other differences, gain better results. If there were more funds available for schools to lower the pupil:teacher ratio, the 'mothering' of the proletariat's children would be better educated- no?

What does that have to do with anything you've talked about until this point?

Your thread was about how little you get when you go back to work. It's no wonder that noone can follow you if you're taking off on such wild tangents.
  • Options
    I origonally winghed about how if I were to work full-time, which I think would be detrimantal to my child, I would be worse off than if I worked part-time, and that with a bit of tweaking the system wouldn't make this so. Since then, I have been attacked for 'recieveing too many benefits' and for believing that 'women should stay at home', neither of which are true. Therefore, I was explaining exactly what it is that I do mean and believe when I say that our society should be geared more towards 'motherhood' than it is at present. The example of schools and funding above aimed to illustrate how these views and those of 'women should stay at home' are not one and the same thing- follow?
  • Options
    katralla wrote:

Erm ... and this tangent comes from where, exactly?

To answer your point about the education system ... I am currently training to be a teacher and I am not going into education to "mother" children. I am going into education to teach children. Nowt else. And I bet if you ask any teacher they will say the same thing. If I was going into education to simply "mother" my class of 30 then I would stay at home and have my own children.
  • Options
    i haven't read the whole thread ...some yes.

if your self employed ...what you being self employed about?

being self employed you shouldn't even consider working for less than fifteen pounds an hour plus any expenses ...and thats the very bottom line.
  • Options
    Well, in which case we disagree on what constitutes motherhood. As you could gather from previous posts, my use of the term 'motherhood' includes all elements of caring for children, including their education. This isn't a radical idea at all and I am suprised that it has been recieved with missunderstanding and seemingly incredulous disagreement. By this assertion: "If I was going into education to simply "mother" my class of 30 then I would stay at home and have my own children.", are you defining 'motherhood' as a woman staying at home and looking after her biological children?
  • Options
    katralla wrote:
    Well, in which case we disagree on what constitutes motherhood. As you could gather from previous posts, my use of the term 'motherhood' includes all elements of caring for children, including their education. This isn't a radical idea at all and I am suprised that it has been recieved with missunderstanding and seemingly incredulous disagreement. By this assertion: "If I was going into education to simply "mother" my class of 30 then I would stay at home and have my own children.", are you defining 'motherhood' as a woman staying at home and looking after her biological children?

Using the definition from dictionary.com I do not regard teaching as "motherhood". I do not feel maternal to the children in my classroom and I doubt a doctor / pediatrician feels the same about all the children that comes into his/her care either.
  • Options
    It's an idea I've found in early feminist texts, which I've taken great inspiration from and visions for how we could create a better society. But it is covered in the definition of motherhood you provided in your link too- "Mothers considered as a group."
  • Options
  • Options
    katralla wrote:
    the 'mothering' of the proletariat's children would be better educated- no?
    i find this a little scary.
    are you a stalinist per chance?
  • Options
    And, you say you don't/won't feel maternaly about the children in your care as a teacher, what then is your motive for becoming a teacher? If it is to provide the most caring and stimulating education for the children in your care then, it falls under my definition of motherhood.
  • Options
    i find this a little scary.
    are you a stalinist per chance?

I don't think so?(but I'd have to look it up to be sure, if I'm honest)?? But, I first adopted the term after reading some Marxist texts, and then more recent articles comparing the lower/working classes of Marxist's proletariat to the current 'new working class' of the middle classes.
  • Options
    katralla wrote:
    I don't think so?(but I'd have to look it up to be sure, if I'm honest)?? But, I first adopted the term after reading some Marxist texts, and then more recent articles comparing the lower/working classes of Marxist's proletariat to the current 'new working class' of the middle classes.
    no offence but i wouldn't want proffesional people mothering or fathering my children!
    thats my role.
    your role is to educate.
  • Options
    As for the self employed position posibilities, one of them is esentially tele-marketing and the other is internet data research, both of them are suitable for my current circunstances as they can be done from home. I have commanded up to £60/hour dancing but as I don't dance any more it's not an option and I don't think the two positions above can be worth £15/hour?- Though maybe I should try!
  • Options
    no offence but i wouldn't want proffesional people mothering or fathering my children!
    thats my role.
    your role is to educate.

All I'm saying is that 'educating' is part of the braoder term of 'mothering', I think most of the disagreement here stems from the use of and definitions of the term 'motherhood' and not from any points I've made.
  • Options
    I agree completely.

Thank you for your support, and clear explanation. I thought I was going mad with everyone argueing with me and that I held some super-extreme view that though I thought was a common one, was actually obscure and obsurd! :(
  • Options
    katralla wrote:
    As for the self employed position posibilities, one of them is esentially tele-marketing and the other is internet data research, both of them are suitable for my current circunstances as they can be done from home. I have commanded up to £60/hour dancing but as I don't dance any more it's not an option and I don't think the two positions above can be worth £15/hour?- Though maybe I should try!
    sounds more like commision work than truly being self employed.
  • Options
    katralla wrote:
    'educating' is part of the braoder term of 'mothering', most of the disagreement here stems from the use of and definitions of the term 'motherhood' .
    yes ...your terms of mothering i find disturbing.
    smacks of very authoritarian social engineering to me.
    the state will mother and father MY children ...not if i have the choice they won't.