Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨

Mum gets paid £2per hr

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Once a week my mum works in a chinese, she earns £2 per hour. Is there anything I can do about this? She's the type that doesnt want to kick up a fuss over anything but the cooks and owners treat her like shit and last night I actually heard them say to her, "bernie you so stupid" because she hadn't wrote 1/2 on an order or something. She left school with no formal qualifications but I've urged her to quit this job and get some GCSEs or something. Who can I report these people to? (if I can at all) :confused:

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Speak to Citizens Bureau or something...
    That is illegal and you should ring citizens bureau
    Unless, is she a waitress? If they make tips they don't have to pay minimum wage. (I believe I heard its the same over seas which is why I bothered replying)
    I told her I would do something, but she says, "no I was grateful for them giving me the job when I had nothign and we needed the money"
    So...she thinks she owes it to them or something stupid. Bastards. I told her I'd pay her what she earns for an 8 hour shift if she leaves after New Year. Just makes me feel helpless and shit - that's my bloody mum! :mad:
    my_name wrote:
    Unless, is she a waitress? If they make tips they don't have to pay minimum wage. (I believe I heard its the same over seas which is why I bothered replying)

Nope, she just works as a writer-downer of orders. :no:
    Nope, she just works as a writer-downer of orders. :no:

Then, I know here, unless you make tips they *have* to pay you at least the minimum wage. You can sue for rightly earned, unearned wages. As I said, I'm not sure about there, but that is highly illegeal. That business could get shut down, the owners sued.

I would definatly take it to some law dude person thing, whatever you have there. A governmental official person, even more than a lawyer. But ask your mother for proof, a pay stub where it shows how much an hour she earns, other wise without the upfront proof, they may not do much about it.
    She gets cash in hand. So I'm not sure I could prove anything. Thanks for everyone's replies, keep em coming! :)
    She gets cash in hand. So I'm not sure I could prove anything. Thanks for everyone's replies, keep em coming! :)

Thats just as illegeal. Getting paid under the table. Do you have taxes taken out of your paychecks there? If you do, then I can bet alot of people are going to care if you mention they are getting paid like that :p
    Yip, we get taxed and what-not. I've just had another word with her and she's made it very clear she doesn't want me to do anything, even if she left. She'd be "very cross" because it would "be like touting".
    So I guess I can't do anything about it anyway. :(
    Well whether she wants to or not, don't you feel you have a legal obligation to? Think of how much they are ripping off your mother, other workers, the government. Maybe you don't have to tell anybody about your mother specifically, but maybe see if you can get somebody interested in the place of business in general. What they are doing is so illegeal and immoral. I feel truely bad for your mother.
    I may anonymously leave a hint to C.A about the place, after she leaves. I wouldn't want her to think I've done it just to be an angst riddled adolescent :p . Thanks dahling for yer help :thumb:
    thats an outrage! i earn twice as much an hour where i work and im 15 (well nearly 16)
    Does she get taxed on those particular wages?

She could be doing a job on the sly, we've all done 'em. ;)
    Does she get taxed on those particular wages?

She could be doing a job on the sly, we've all done 'em. ;)

Thats how they get you though. They get you for doing sly work. In a tax course I took, they had a section explaining jobs like drug dealing and such. The money you make is taxable income and if you dont include that in your taxes they get you for fraud. I found out, if you give away free samples, thats a write off. A "gift."
    my_name wrote:
    Thats how they get you though. They get you for doing sly work. In a tax course I took, they had a section explaining jobs like drug dealing and such. The money you make is taxable income and if you dont include that in your taxes they get you for fraud. I found out, if you give away free samples, thats a write off. A "gift."

i know of a drug dealer who was recently prosecuted in the durham area, who got off from fraud, cause he gave his 'employees' pay slips, and had a set amount of money to give to the inland revenue, if he ever dd get busted, which he did
    just get her to sign everything now and pack her off to the old folks home.
    'your leisure years spent in paradise ...all your cares met by a dedicated team of proffesional and fluffy people ...
    slave labour. quit!
    It's slave labour plain and simple ive worked in more than my fare share of Chinese takeaways and being underpaid isn't something new. Its more than likely the other workers there are underpaid as well and probably don't even get breaks. Trust me when I say ive seen it all before and your mum should take no shit from them. They will continue to abuse your mum as long as they can. Show no mercy and make them suffer like made your mum suffer otherwise they will continue to do it to every other person that comes along.
    also yes if you recieve tips you can be paid less than the minimum wage but only if your tips increase it to over the minimum wage.
    Are there any other places your mum can work in your area? She really shouldn't be working there. £2 an hour is ridiculous - I get £5.71 an hour working behind a bar and its not that difficult or stressful and we get tips sometimes. Your mum can do better than that even without formal qualifications. Definatley speak to the Citizens Advice Bureau - your mum and the chinese restaurant don't need to know who it is who has spoken up about it all, because what is happening is illegal.
    also yes if you recieve tips you can be paid less than the minimum wage but only if your tips increase it to over the minimum wage.

She stated that her mother does not recieve tips though.
    Once a week my mum works in a chinese, she earns £2 per hour. Is there anything I can do about this? She's the type that doesnt want to kick up a fuss over anything but the cooks and owners treat her like shit and last night I actually heard them say to her, "bernie you so stupid" because she hadn't wrote 1/2 on an order or something. She left school with no formal qualifications but I've urged her to quit this job and get some GCSEs or something. Who can I report these people to? (if I can at all) :confused:

Some mothers are like that though .. they have little ambition .. my mum does filing, etc and earns a pretty ordinary wage, however she speaks about 7 languages .. and for years I told her she could be earning a fortune translating .. but she wasn't very keen.

I doubt if she'd pay any tax on only £2 an hour, so she have any other skills?

Writing down orders doesn't sound like a very skilled job but maybe she has other skills she could turn into a job.

Do you have a father on the scene?