Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨

American exchange

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
edited March 27 in Work & Study
If I can go, is it recommendable? I do an unusual course and all...

I heard American universities are very good for catering for special needs (dyslexia support) and the degree work load is less...

Also, California will be nice and warm haha
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    I'm not sure where you heard the work load is less, I certainly havent heard anything about that and I know quite a few American students who have come here.

Again, help totally depends on the Uni, some will be crap, others not.

The big difference between there and the UK is the structure, Uni there is far far more structured, you have classes a lot more like A-level than Uni here.
  • **helen****helen** Deactivated Posts: 9,235 Supreme Poster
    Hi there,

I went to college in America for my second year. I would recommend it and I did find my tutors to be extremely supportive. Because American's generally pay a lot more for their education, there seems to be a lot more one-on-one support available.

However, the work load was not less I'm afraid. In terms of coursework and exams there was about the same amount and I found that tutors loved to give 'school style' homework and tests - if anything I found it was similar to the way I was prepared for A-levels.
  • **helen****helen** Deactivated Posts: 9,235 Supreme Poster
    bongbudda wrote:
    I'm not sure where you heard the work load is less, I certainly havent heard anything about that and I know quite a few American students who have come here.

Again, help totally depends on the Uni, some will be crap, others not.

The big difference between there and the UK is the structure, Uni there is far far more structured, you have classes a lot more like A-level than Uni here.

what a surprise to be agreeing with bongbudda :p
    **Helen** wrote:
    what a surprise to be agreeing with bongbudda :p

This is far from the first time Helen, I am always right.
    If I had the opportunity, I would go. If you don't get on there I'm sure you could transfer back and it would be a chance to see more of the world...
    I think university in the US and Canada is much more about being a life changing experience rather then just earning a piece of paper.

You do a major subject but then can do minors in something totally unrelated to your course.
    You do a major subject but then can do minors in something totally unrelated to your course.

And of course its four years and not three.

This first year 'grounding' used to be there to extend the general knowledge of the students, now it is to make sure that all the students are to the same level because school standards are so different.