Home Work & Volunteering
Come and join our Support Circle, every Tuesday, 8 - 9:30pm! Limited spaces available! Sign up here
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨

Getting Arrested

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,324 The Mix Honorary Guru
Hiya

Im not sure if this is in the right forum, if its not please move it.

On Friday i got nicked for being drunk and disorderly and i have been put on a five year caution, at the station they told me if i was applying for a job then i wouldnt have to put that down on the application form.

I have recently started a new job that i really enjoy for a resepctiable company but im worried that if i go out and get pissed and get nicked again and end up being in court or getting fined and my boss finds out by either word of mouth or by reading the local paper then does he have the right to sack me?

I dont plan on getting nicked again but its quite hard espically as my boyfriend is always in trouble with the old bill and i usally end up in trouble along with him, espically if i have been drinking which i do most weekends. I dont want to give up going out and anything but i was wondering if my boss has the rigfht to sack me or give any disaplinartys if i get into trouble with the law?

thanks xxx

Comments

  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,324 The Mix Honorary Guru
    YOu'd be better off talking to ACAS about that, to be honest. You can find them at acas.org.uk, their helpline number is on that.

    Did you take legal advice before accepting the caution? Too late now, but I hope you did.

    For future reference, you can find a local criminal defence solicitor here.
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,324 The Mix Honorary Guru
    no i didn't take legal advice before accepcting the caution cus it was half 6 in the morning and i had been sat in a cell for 5 hours and was still pissed and slightly hungover aswell lol.
    Anyway, cheers for the website addy, i'll check it out
    XXX
  • SkiveSkive No discipline. No morality. No respect. New ForestPosts: 15,194 Skive's The Limit
    If you get arrested you should ALWAYS speak to a solicitor.
    Yesterday is history
    Tomorrow is a mystery
    But today is a gift
    That’s why it’s call the present
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,324 The Mix Honorary Guru
    ±Lover± wrote:
    no i didn't take legal advice before accepcting the caution cus it was half 6 in the morning and i had been sat in a cell for 5 hours and was still pissed and slightly hungover aswell lol.

    That was really daft, I'm sorry to say.

    You should always take legal advice. By accepting a caution you are saying that you committed the offence, and it could very easily come back to bite you on the arse.

    Next time, please ask to speak to the Duty Solicitor. It's makes a huge difference, and doesn't cost you a penny. You can, of course, always find a criminal solicitor using the link I gave before.

    You shouldn't have accepted anything when drunk. Although I appreciate how the police always put the pressure on to accept cautions.
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,324 The Mix Honorary Guru
    So what happens if you refuse to accept a caution?
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,324 The Mix Honorary Guru
    The file goes to the CPS and they decide whether to prosecute or not.

    If you're guilty as sin its normally better to accept a caution, but to do so without taking legal advice first is a bit daft. Especially as police station legal advice is free.

    The police are bastards for putting the hard sell on though. Often they'll say "oh, you can have a solicitor, but you'll be waiting all night" as its easier to interview unrepresented suspects. And people who think they're innocent will happily go along with it, thinking that they'll get out quicker, and they've got nothing to be scared of.
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,324 The Mix Honorary Guru
    ±Lover± wrote:
    Hiya

    Im not sure if this is in the right forum, if its not please move it.

    On Friday i got nicked for being drunk and disorderly and i have been put on a five year caution, at the station they told me if i was applying for a job then i wouldnt have to put that down on the application form.

    I have recently started a new job that i really enjoy for a resepctiable company but im worried that if i go out and get pissed and get nicked again and end up being in court or getting fined and my boss finds out by either word of mouth or by reading the local paper then does he have the right to sack me?

    I dont plan on getting nicked again but its quite hard espically as my boyfriend is always in trouble with the old bill and i usally end up in trouble along with him, espically if i have been drinking which i do most weekends. I dont want to give up going out and anything but i was wondering if my boss has the rigfht to sack me or give any disaplinartys if i get into trouble with the law?

    thanks xxx
    How about not becoming drunk and disorderly?
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,324 The Mix Honorary Guru
    ±Lover± wrote:
    Hiya

    Im not sure if this is in the right forum, if its not please move it.

    On Friday i got nicked for being drunk and disorderly and i have been put on a five year caution, at the station they told me if i was applying for a job then i wouldnt have to put that down on the application form.

    This is bullshit. If you were cautioned, it's not a criminal conviction so you don't have to declare it on a job application.
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,324 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Blagsta wrote:
    This is bullshit. If you were cautioned, it's not a criminal conviction so you don't have to declare it on a job application.
    That's what she said. :confused:
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,324 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Kermit wrote:
    That was really daft, I'm sorry to say.

    You should always take legal advice. By accepting a caution you are saying that you committed the offence, and it could very easily come back to bite you on the arse.

    Next time, please ask to speak to the Duty Solicitor. It's makes a huge difference, and doesn't cost you a penny. You can, of course, always find a criminal solicitor using the link I gave before.

    You shouldn't have accepted anything when drunk. Although I appreciate how the police always put the pressure on to accept cautions.

    If you refuse to accept a caution, isn't there a chance you'll end up with a record?
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,324 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Spliffie wrote:
    If you refuse to accept a caution, isn't there a chance you'll end up with a record?

    Course there is.

    I'm not saying you shouldn't accept cautions, but I don't think the police often explain just what a caution amounts to. You shouldn't sign something which is you admitting to a criminal offence without taking full legal advice, especially as police station advice is free of charge.

    And if you have cautions, if you come to court again that's part of your anticedence which can be admitted as evidence anyway. You have a record if you have cautions, which is something else that isn't explained fully.
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,324 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Kentish wrote:
    That's what she said. :confused:

    what?
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,324 The Mix Honorary Guru
    She said the police said she won't have to declare it, and you said that's bollocks, you won't have to declare it on a job application.
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,324 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Blagsta wrote:
    what?
    I think you misread it.
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,324 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Oh yeah :o
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,324 The Mix Honorary Guru
    When they finaly let me out of my cell, they did ask if i wanted to speak to someone free of charge but they said i would be waiting most of the morning and all i wanted to do was go home and get to bed.

    I did agree to the caution because at the end of the day i was being a knob and being drunk and disorderly but hey ho most of us do it and one point or another, its just unlucky that the old bill happned to be around when it happned.

    I hope my boss don't find out :no:

    ~XXX~
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,324 The Mix Honorary Guru
    ±Lover± wrote:
    When they finaly let me out of my cell, they did ask if i wanted to speak to someone free of charge but they said i would be waiting most of the morning and all i wanted to do was go home and get to bed.

    Common trick that.

    You'd have been waiting about two hours, tops.
Sign In or Register to comment.