Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨

Next year...

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
edited March 27 in Work & Study
After considerable and lengthy discussion over plans for next year, the person who I was originally intending to live with for the next four years has dropped out and is planning to live with another friend. Whilst this is her decision, i'm quite offended by her apparent lack of consideration for my feelings in this matter and lack of concern for my future living arrangements. What do you think I should do?
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    dr_carter wrote:
    After considerable and lengthy discussion over plans for next year, the person who I was originally intending to live with for the next four years has dropped out and is planning to live with another friend. Whilst this is her decision, i'm quite offended by her apparent lack of consideration for my feelings in this matter and lack of concern for my future living arrangements. What do you think I should do?

I would also be offended by her lack of consideration etc... who long have you got until you need to find somewhere, as I would start looking now to be safe. Have you got any other friends how you could share with?

I'm guessing you are off to uni?, so you could try contacting them as they often have an accomondation office, which also has information on local flats not owned by the uni but are designed at students. Our uni actually checks the flats/shared house out before they put the ad up.
    I'm at uni... I need to find someone that I could share with for the next four years and everyone has basically already got together with people and are all looking for somewhere.

It's so unfair, he's supposed to be my friend too and he didn't even bother to ask me, and she didn't even care about how i'd feel, she just looked after her own back. She's only going to his house I think because his parents are buying him a house and so they'll probably just have to pay bills or something. Grr...
    its an ideal upportunity to meet new people and make new friends

go to view houses, there will be loads, some will be crap and some will be nice, you can ask the people questions and decide whether you could live with them. you dont have to live in the same place with the same people for 4 years, and they dont have to be doing the same course as you

i moved in with people i didnt know, and are on different courses to me and its the best decision i ever made.
    Well first of all it's practically impossible to move in with people who are on different courses to me! It's pretty hard to find people I don't know.

Unfortunately around here it's pretty much assumed you'll be in the same place for four years with the same people... people don't move around at all unless they're really not getting along.
    dr_carter wrote:
    Well first of all it's practically impossible to move in with people who are on different courses to me! It's pretty hard to find people I don't know.

Unfortunately around here it's pretty much assumed you'll be in the same place for four years with the same people... people don't move around at all unless they're really not getting along.
    It may feel like that but in reality there are always changes throughout the years as people go on placements and maybe want to be in another part of town, or get a crap house and move to a smaller/bigger one.

Your other option I suppose is to become a senior resident or warden in halls.

Also, it's only December now - you've got ages to pair up with someone else or another group.
    dr_carter wrote:
    What do you think I should do?
    it sucks. but it happens. i think you should try and get over it and find some other more decent friends to live with. :p
    at our uni we have a website where ppl advertise for housemates... maybe your uni has something like that?
    Haha... my uni barely has an SU website...
    Believe me, you have to have a really thick skin when it comes to mixing friendship with housing. A 'friend' of mine dropped out the weekend before we were supposed to sign contracts. She's no longer my friend :)

Have you checked out the University of London Accommodation Office? They're pretty good. Here
    University of London? What's that again?!?

Trouble is, we were looking at a place that was ideal and 2 minutes walk from the medical school. Of course, it doesn't matter for 3rd year and onwards, but for next year would be good. However, she's now looking at it with this other person. Cheek.
    dr_carter wrote:
    University of London? What's that again?!?

Trouble is, we were looking at a place that was ideal and 2 minutes walk from the medical school. Of course, it doesn't matter for 3rd year and onwards, but for next year would be good. However, she's now looking at it with this other person. Cheek.
    Where are you at uni? Which college (of the university of London)?
    St. George's... previously known as St. George's Hospital Medical School before our darling new principal decided to make us sound like a polytechnic...
    Well then like go_away said you can use the University of London accomadation service to help you find accomadation and/ or additional flatmates to hunt with. They are based in Senate House. You are looking very early in my opinion for accomadation next year in London (unless you mean January as opposed to next academic year).

It could be worse name wise... University College London is now just "UCL" apparently but when our uni magazine did a survey on the road right next to it most people asked thought UCL was a cinema!
    However the Medical School is technically RUMS... do they like it?
    Btw, can you not join these two people that are looking for a house and live with them too? Maybe you should ask them... It's only December though, you've got plenty of time. I don't know who I'm living with next year yet and i'm not too worried. I know a few people I could live with but I'm not sure if I want to... Living with randoms wouldn't be as bad as you think.
    dr_carter wrote:
    However the Medical School is technically RUMS... do they like it?
    They only seem to use that abbreviation for societies etc like RUMS rugby soc or whatever. They seem to quote the full name on important things. Also I think that as a "RUMS" student you either belong to the Royal Free or University College, I'm not really sure though, I'm sure some medic has bored me with this at some point in the past but I can't recall the finer detail.