Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨

Homeless people

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Today when I was leaving work a homeless person came up to me. He first asked if I spoke English, and then preceeded to ask my name, shake my hand and introduce himself to me. He then went into his little story and I ended up giving him my change. I only did so however because I actually felt intimidated by this approach.

Do you give change to homeless people? Has anyone else ever been approached this way? It actually made me feel very uncomfortable!

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    I once gave a pound to a homeless person who was hovering in a doorway opposite where I had just parked my car. Only because I didn't want him to damage the car, not out of genuine concern.

Most homeless charities advise people not to hand out cash.
    ive never been directly approached, though when i was in london a few years ago a guy was walking through the underground train i was on asking everyone for change giving a sort of little speach as he went
    I just think the way he went about it was wrong. I only gave him money because I felt uncomfortable and intimidated. Maybe they prey on little people (like me) and try and get them into situations where it's hard to say no.
    i was approached by a group of 3 homeless people today, two of them told me i had a lovely smile, and one asked me if id ever considered taking a tramp home as a puppy :lol:
    I told him that funnily enough I hadnt!

They didnt ask me for money though. I never really have enough to give, but i never ignore them when they ask. Im more likely to give money if its night time and theyre sleeping rough, because then you know theyre definitely homeless, not just lifestyle beggars.
    I just think the way he went about it was wrong. I only gave him money because I felt uncomfortable and intimidated. Maybe they prey on little people (like me) and try and get them into situations where it's hard to say no.

I think there's definitely something in that.

I give my change to homeless people (especially the ones with dogs, I'm a sucker) on a regular basis, but I feel really resentful when I feel like I've been guilt-tripped into it.

If this guy had been selling the Big Issue or similar, then you could have reported him for his manner of approach. Since he's not, I don't really know what you can do, other than try and stand your ground next time (I can talk!).
    If I have spare change I give money to them. Only right in my opinion, they look like they're in a bad state mostly, especially at winter.

Once me and my mate ended up talking to one for ages, he was really religious, sound as a pound so he was.
  • SkiveSkive Posts: 15,282 Skive's The Limit
    The other day I was out shopping with a mate of mine who'd spent some time on the streets, when we passed some homeless chap sitting quietly. My mate went into the shop nearby, bought a four pack, a packet of fags and then gave them to the geezer. I thought that was quite nice.
    Weekender Offender 
    How do people get themselves into the position orf being homeless anyway?
    Skive wrote:
    My mate went into the shop nearby, bought a four pack, a packet of fags and then gave them to the geezer. I thought that was quite nice.
    How was that nice?
    Today when I was leaving work a homeless person came up to me. He first asked if I spoke English, and then preceeded to ask my name, shake my hand and introduce himself to me. He then went into his little story and I ended up giving him my change. I only did so however because I actually felt intimidated by this approach.

Do you give change to homeless people? Has anyone else ever been approached this way? It actually made me feel very uncomfortable!

I don't give change to people on the streets because a lot of them are just blagging it. I'm also highly suspicious of everyone and it's unlikely that, if the events you describe above had happened to me, that he would have gotten to the point of being able to shake my hand.
    I've never given any money to a homeless person, this is mainly because for all I know, the person could be using the money for drugs/alcohol and may not be homeless. Of course, if they're selling the big issue and are wearing those coloured bibs then I do give them money if I have any on me...
    Kentish wrote:
    How was that nice?

Homeless people don't have a lot, they also tend to smoke and drink. The fella obviously empathised with the mans situation. Fair play.
    I've never given any money to a homeless person, this is mainly because for all I know, the person could be using the money for drugs/alcohol and may not be homeless.

This is the defense I always, always heard from my ex-flatmate who didn't want to part with one shiny penny of her student loan.

True, some of them might be druggies or alcoholics or worse. But I try and have faith in my own judgement, and more often than not give them the benefit of the doubt...that they are going to buy their dog that Stay-Fresh pouch of Pedigree Chum, and leave the four pack of Special Brew on the shelf ;)
    turlough wrote:
    Homeless people don't have a lot, they also tend to smoke and drink. The fella obviously empathised with the mans situation. Fair play.
    exactly. Who am I to say a homeless person shouldnt partake in probably the only thing they have in their life to enjoy.
    let them get on with it.
    My dad always buys the Big Issue, but I never have enough change to do it. I also am sceptical and think that homeless people might just be putting it on, and I don't like the Big Issue.

I feel like a right little bizzatch now :(.
    Theres a homeless guy that stands across the street from the art muesuem downtown (chicago) he's been there every single time i've gone. he tells you jokes.

But then theres the ones that are not all there, mumbling drunk, sleeping on the benches, I don't know whether to be scared or feel bad for them. I usually feel bad, but they are always sleeping so I can't give them change.

Heard this story over dinner last night,
    This guy was with his friend walking downtown and this bum asked him for money. He gave him a couple dollars and the bum started laughing extremly hard. He asked why he was laughing and he said, you've just been scammed. He pulls out a rolled up wad of dollars and keeps laughing. The guy actually stole his money back.

Then I was downtown with a friend and there was one of those weird homeless people selling post cards. If you give them some money they'll give you one. She only had a $5 so she asked him for change. He had it :p
    The other day some boy, probably only a year or two younger than me, asked me for some money. I was like "wtf?" because I don't expect that from someone in my town. I just gave it too him because I felt like I was being pressurised, and didn't know what he was capable of. Although, it was in broad daylight on a busy high street.
    In my eyes i would say NO to a homless person who would aproach me,

A. I'd be reather scared

B. I'd walk away very fast!
    My mate bought a homeless guy a burger once, he was sat outside the take-away. His response was - 'I don't want your fucking burger, I want your money.'

That put me off giving any of them money.
    isn't one of our site brothers homeless at the moment ...J?
    My mate bought a homeless guy a burger once, he was sat outside the take-away. His response was - 'I don't want your fucking burger, I want your money.'

That put me off giving any of them money.
    Ha. Some of them are really rude.

I don't give money to the homeless. I would rather buy them something to eat or drink if they are hungry. But not money as I suspect the majority may use the money for drugs etc.
    chan-chan wrote:
    But not money as I suspect the majority may use the money for drugs etc.
    that might be just what some of them need though.
    that might be just what some of them need though.
    Exactly.
    I just dont understand how judgemental some of you are.
    Exactly.
    I just dont understand how judgemental some of you are.
    i don't believe it is that RB ...more ignorance.
    am i right in thinking that those who sell the big issue arent actually homeless though? im sure years ago when i was at school we did something about it in english and the people who sell it used to be homeless but arent any more because you have to have some sort of address to sell it? obviously the money goes towards helping those who are homelss so i buy it when i can. and i always have SO many coppers, i give those to the homeless. i'm not too bothered what they spend it on because to be honest, it's up to them, if they want to spend it on alcohol and drugs, so be it. if they want to spend it on food, fair enough too.
    You'd be suprised at the reasons behind some people's homelessness. And not all homeless people look scruffy or ask for money. I have spent as much of this year homeless as I have in stable housing and I am a perfectly (ok, so usually) nice person.
    Kat_B wrote:
    am i right in thinking that those who sell the big issue arent actually homeless though? im sure years ago when i was at school we did something about it in english and the people who sell it used to be homeless but arent any more because you have to have some sort of address to sell it? obviously the money goes towards helping those who are homelss so i buy it when i can. and i always have SO many coppers, i give those to the homeless. i'm not too bothered what they spend it on because to be honest, it's up to them, if they want to spend it on alcohol and drugs, so be it. if they want to spend it on food, fair enough too.
    good on you katb.
    katralla wrote:
    You'd be suprised at the reasons behind some people's homelessness. And not all homeless people look scruffy or ask for money. I have spent as much of this year homeless as I have in stable housing and I am a perfectly (ok, so usually) nice person.
    you have a duty to educate the warm fluffy people.
    by the way, when i say i give coppers i don't just mean i give the old 2p now and again, it usually adds up to a couple of quid because for some reason i seem to have something against spending coppers in shops.. but then again, if everyone gave just 10p or whatever, instead of deciding not to because you don't know if they're really homeless or want them to spend the money on 'suitable' things, it would help.

yeah, they might not really be homeless, yeah they might spend it on drugs but on the other hand they might really be homeless and they might spend it on 'suitable things.' you don't know that.

if you were homeless you'd want people to give you the benefit of the doubt instead of walking past you with their noses stuck in the air.
    the person could be using the money for drugs.

Better than robbing you for them.