Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

attendance record

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
edited March 27 in Work & Study
ok so at the end of year 10 i had quite alot of time off due to anxiety, it made me so ill i was bed ridden for 3 weeks, then kept having days off and getting sent home till the summer
ive also had a few days off this year too, and when i got sent home on tuesday because i coughed so hard i strained my chest the nurse got arsey with me saying my attendance was 88% and i needed to get it up
she said something about not being able to get college placements and that
but wait a sec, i know people who skive off all the time who are getting into college - its not my fault if im ill is it?
so i was wondering, is the nurse making a song and dance or will it affect me going where i want to go? btw this is the same nurse who told me i cant be depressed because im a teenager and have nothing to be depressed about.
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Options
    I've found this as well - during Year 11 I had at least 4 weeks off due to colds and an operation I had to have and never got told that this would go on my record nor would it stop me from getting into 6th form/college.

You, of course have to remember that the nurse is onlt talking about your attendance for this term (after the summer holidays, that is) and it'll obviously go up if you keep on attending.
  • Options
    Ig you've been geniuly off sick and have the paperwork on your school records(sick certificates, doctors letters esp. for the longer period) then you should be fine. Sounds like the nurse is talking out of her arse.
  • Options
    i slept in for most of year 11 and missed a few days, i dont think colleges even check =|
  • Options
    shes lying
    Ballerina wrote:
    this is the same nurse who told me i cant be depressed because im a teenager and have nothing to be depressed about.

lol
  • Options
    I left high school with an attendance in year 11 of 17 days altogether....and ive just finnished my A levels.....so.....go figure :)

(It was illness btw, im not a bum....well, much)
  • Options
    96-97

Number of authorised absences: 64
    Number of unauthorised absences: 19

:D.
  • Options
    If I could dig up my attendence record for last year you would be appauled it was under 60%. This was down to bullying, panic attacks, illness, anxiety, fear of the people in school and fear of being in a lesson situation.

My school were understanding about it all and i said would it affect my application to colleges and they said no. So im presuming what your school nurse has said is rubbish. Good luck hunni hope it all works out!
  • Options
    ah so the nurse is talking out of her arse as usual
  • Options
    Haha, it's not my attendance i'm worried about when i apply to college, it's my puctuality!

I think i managed to be marked late 49 times (!) last year.. Which is especially bad since i live about a 3 minute walk from the school..

I think i've been alot better this year though..
  • Options
    Cazzoo wrote:
    Haha, it's not my attendance i'm worried about when i apply to college, it's my puctuality!

I think i managed to be marked late 49 times (!) last year.. Which is especially bad since i live about a 3 minute walk from the school..

I think i've been alot better this year though..

in 6th form i lived about 2 mins from school and was late most days.. the teachers just took the piss when they found out lol, i dont think theyre that bothered with stuff like registration as long as u get to most classes.
  • Options
    FACT: School nurses talk complete bol.... *ahem* rubbish.

Want to know what my overall Year 11 attendance was due to being ill/in hospital? 71%

I'm now in college, and have passed two units and keep getting praised on how well I work and what an asset I am to the salon blah blah. They didn't even check my past attendance. Ignore the silly cow.
  • Options
    shes probably just trying to sound important like shes doing her job
    shes shit at it tbh
  • Options
    muse- wrote:
    in 6th form i lived about 2 mins from school and was late most days.. the teachers just took the piss when they found out lol, i dont think theyre that bothered with stuff like registration as long as u get to most classes.

Same here, I was oftyen five minutes late to my lessons, and I never got bollocked for it.
  • Options
    kathryn wrote:
    I hear you all saying "it doesn't make any difference" and "shes talking shit" blah blah, but to be honest how often you turn up does matter as does how often you are late. People who are late and often off sick or whatever are seen as less reliable and unfortunately, whether you like it or not it doesaffect how all sorts of people from teachers to employers view you.

it's true. it doesn't matter so much at college, or even at uni, but it's not the kind of habit you should let yourself fall into. once you're working, if you apply for a job, and when it asks how many occasions you've missed work over the last year, and you put more than 10 days, they'll just skip right past you.

that aside, you'll need to get to work no matter what (unless you have limbs missing or are desperately ill), cause you'll have bills to pay, and you can't afford to miss days.
  • Options
    She's talking bollocks, but a poor attendance record does put employers off.

Don't worry about it, to be honest.
  • Options
    At my school we were told that periods of absense in blocks with an explanable cause is far better than a few days here and there. Eg. missing three weeks because of glandular fever looks much better than missing 15 random mondays for "not feeling well" etc.
  • Options
    Well, I'm not proud of this, but in year 10 and 11 I had less than 20% attendence (Without any "official" reason). I left school without GCSE's, due to not turning up for them. I applied at a 6th form college, they gave me a quick Maths and English test to give them an idea of my abilities. I passed their little test and they let me in.

Beware: You will probably get the whole "This isn't like school, we're not gonna force you to come, but if you get lower than x % attendence, we will kick you" lecture.
  • Options
    Hi there
    From the boring perspective of a teacher it can be really annoying when kids miss loads of days, no matter what the reason, as we obviously have to help you catch up. If a pupil does have a genuine reason for being off though, all staff are notified and told not to harrass that pupil about it or to mention their absences.
    The school nurse could just be trying to play the "bad cop" routine in order to scare you into coming back in more. The more time you have off, the harder it is to get back into it. Take things a step at a time. Rather than focus on the whole day ahead, just think about the next hour that you have to get through.
    I hope that things get better for you, Loopi. xxx
  • Options
    Loopi wrote:
    Hi there
    From the boring perspective of a teacher it can be really annoying when kids miss loads of days, no matter what the reason, as we obviously have to help you catch up. If a pupil does have a genuine reason for being off though, all staff are notified and told not to harrass that pupil about it or to mention their absences.

Wasn't like that when I was off for 3 weeks - had the school phone up 3 times - despite the fact that my dad had already phoned in explaining what was wrong and how long I'd roughly be off for and I had my sister sent in with a letter. Also, had all the teachers asking where I was.