Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Gays in the Military!

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Skive wrote:
    If your arguing for gays in the military I would aslo expect to see you argue for unisex quarters in the military. Men and Women sharing showers and living quarters.

I see no problem with unisex shower facilities - the scandinavians manage to have mixed sex saunas without outrage. The problem with mixed sex sleeping quaters is snoring. men can put up with men snoring, and women can't.
  • Options
    SkiveSkive Posts: 15,283 Skive's The Limit
    I see no problem with unisex shower facilities

Well many would. Women mostly.

The issue is what would make our military the most effective it can be. Throw in sex and sexuality and you dilute that effectiveness. It may not be right, but that's how is.

And just have a look at how this poll is going please... poll
    Weekender Offender 
  • Options
    Skive wrote:
    Again I'm insecure how?
    If you can't see it, there really is no point in trying to explain.
    One of the favourite arguments against those who have anything negative to say agianst homosexuals is that they must be inesecure about their own sexuality.

What a load of bollocks.
    What a load of bollocks. I say that you seem to be insecure about sex in general - not just homosexuality - because you are making it out to be a big thing. According to you people having sexual relationships is uniquely damaging to the fighting efficiency of a military unit.
    Denying the fact that these variables can affect your life and those around you is stupid.
    no one is denying there is an effect. Just that it is a significant one.

I doubt I'll be responding to you further in this thread; you seem to be quite irrational, you ignore any information that doesn't fit your hypothesis, you take statistically insignificant events and make them out to be vital - discusion with you is pointless.
    And just have a look at how this poll is going please.

What has that poll got to do with this? this is a better question
  • Options
    I imagine a lot of guys would be, maybe for a couple of weeks. Until of course they realised that he isn't going to try and fuck you every time you have a shower.
    Somehow I don't think shower room rape is why guys find it uncomfortable to shower with another gay man, and trying to boil it down to that makes little sense. :rolleyes: We all know it's not something rational but regardless, guys do have a problem with it.

The Don't Ask Don't tell system is good in principle, it makes it so that the issue doesn't even come up. The problem comes from when the brass doesn't hold up its side of the bargin, many times the military will deliberatly trying to dig into peoples person choices.
  • Options
    I have no problem with gays in the military. Were all human and if they do they training and so on then why can't they fight?

What concerns me in the military a little bit is the restriction on relationships. You can't have relationships between certain ranks in some countries and cases. I guess there is a point to it, favoritism, losing objectivity in battle but I always feel uncomfortable when their are rules about who you can and can't have a relationship with.
  • Options
    If there are some people in the army who really believe homosexuals cannot be trusted to fight like straight men, perhaps we should kick them out.

At the end of the day, a modern civilised army (certainly the type of army the MoD is trying to promote the British Army as) should have no room for knuckle dragging cavemen.

Incidentally, I've seen many gay men (and known one or two) who wouldn't have much problem kicking seven shades of shit of any army 'lad' put in front of them.

Perhaps we should send those who doubt the ability of gay men in combat to certain gay nightclubs. I think their perception would change rather quickly...
  • Options
    The argument for keeping homosexuals (and women) out of the armed forces isn't to do with gays not be able to fight or that they make uncomfortable people to be in the shower with. Its based on small unit cohesion - which is the bedrock of fighting power (basically it says that soldiers fight because they are feel a personal loyalty to a small group and a desire to be seen as 'a man amongst men'). Anything which damages that small unit cohesion is a bad thing, because it reduces the fighting power of the army.

Its particually important within the teeth arms (the infantry and armour) which will actually have to engage with the enemy - one of the reasons women are excluded from front line combat.

Like it or not having homosexuals in does damage that small unit efficiency. Many other ranks come from a working class background, where there is a strong dislike of homosexuality and it is seen as deviant. Whether they are right or not is irrelevant. That is how many feel and having an overtly gay soldier does damage unit cohesion.

That said there is now the 'perfect world' argument. In a perfect world we wouldn't need armies, in a slightly less perfect world all soldiers would be paragons of virtue and the liberal values so cherished in peacetime would be equally relevant in war.

Its not a perfect world though. So in an even less perfect world the armed forces should have the ability to recruit who they want and exclude women and homosexuals.

The trouble with this is that though the armed forces have to be somewhat out of step with society, they cannnot be so far behind (or in front) that society does not recognise them and their values. Given that society, as a whole, tends to believe that homosexuals shouldn't be discriminated against, the army has to fall in line and just do the best it can - as they always do. It won't be the first time, nor the last, that civilian amateurs who know nothing about soldiering can tell the Army what to do. That's the price of soldiering in a democratic, civilian society.
  • Options
    NQA wrote:
    Its particually important within the teeth arms (the infantry and armour) which will actually have to engage with the enemy - one of the reasons women are excluded from front line combat.

Like it or not having homosexuals in does damage that small unit efficiency. Many other ranks come from a working class background, where there is a strong dislike of homosexuality and it is seen as deviant. Whether they are right or not is irrelevant. That is how many feel and having an overtly gay soldier does damage unit cohesion.

That said there is now the 'perfect world' argument. In a perfect world we wouldn't need armies, in a slightly less perfect world all soldiers would be paragons of virtue and the liberal values so cherished in peacetime would be equally relevant in war.

Its not a perfect world though. So in an even less perfect world the armed forces should have the ability to recruit who they want and exclude women and homosexuals.
    Do you realise that at some point in the past someone, somewhere probably said those very same words but the subject matter was black men/indigenous men instead of women and homosexuals?

I really don't see why the army should be a special case. If we used such arguments elsewhere gays would be banned from countless jobs from A & E departments to football teams, just in case their sexual orientation distracted the 'team' from the job at hand.

As a matter of fact any sort of homophobic prejudice should be stamped out of the army at all costs. It's just another sort of bullying- and the same twat openly saying that he's not comfortable with Mr Poofter over there being part of their unit is going to be a prime candidate for being a full blown bully. No place in the army for such people.
  • Options
    Aladdin wrote:
    If there are some people in the army who really believe homosexuals cannot be trusted to fight like straight men, perhaps we should kick them out.

At the end of the day, a modern civilised army (certainly the type of army the MoD is trying to promote the British Army as) should have no room for knuckle dragging cavemen.

I thought the MoD was trying to give us an armed forces which won wars - it would certainly explain some of the frankly bizzare decisions they've made if in fact that is secondary to producing an army based on political correctness.
  • Options
    And yet you get a British army that, compared with our 'cousins', is infinitely more efficient on the ground, much better at dealing with the locals, less prone to cowboy shootings, abuse, torture and killings, and as a result more respected and trusted.

If the British Army is doing something well is trying to ensure troops are not abusive and bullying- to varying degrees of success anyway. 'Political correctness' it ain't- but it's common sense to have soldiers who are balanced and decent people instead of rough, semi-educated cowboys.
  • Options
    It's probably worth mentioning that until fairly recently homosexuality was seen as a mental illness.
  • Options
    Aladdin wrote:
    And yet you get a British army that, compared with our 'cousins', is infinitely more efficient on the ground, much better at dealing with the locals, less prone to cowboy shootings, abuse, torture and killings, and as a result more respected and trusted.

If the British Army is doing something well is trying to ensure troops are not abusive and bullying- to varying degrees of success anyway. 'Political correctness' it ain't- but it's common sense to have soldiers who are balanced and decent people instead of rough, semi-educated cowboys.

To that I'd agree, but whilst I don't want us to be like the French or US- I'm not keen that the British Army becomes like the Dutch either.

Now I don't want soldiers who go 'queer bashing' but I don't mind having soldiers who feel uncomfortable around gays or make sexist and homophobic jokes. In fact I'd bet on people like that to protect my back (and have done), more so than many 'liberals' who preach tolerance, but won't get their hands dirty with soldiering.

If we only got fully tolerant individuals, who are also bloody good soldiers, we'd wouldn't get enough people to full a platoon.
  • Options
    Aladdin wrote:
    Do you realise that at some point in the past someone, somewhere probably said those very same words but the subject matter was black men/indigenous men instead of women and homosexuals?

They did. The minority changes but the arguments for excluding them from the military stay the same. :banghead:

I don't think anybodies opinions on this matter are going to be changed.
  • Options
    The armed forces tended to be well in advance of the populace when it comes to ethnic minorities. They're were Blacks in senior positions in Nelson's Navy (before the abolition of slavery). Many of the pre-Windrush Blacks were concentrated around shipping ports and often had strong naval links.

I've also seen photos of a Black Piper circa late 1940s in Palestine.
  • Options
    Jon_UK wrote:
    Of course it would be practical ... there'd be no debating issues, no voting, no parties. As far as governments go its about as practical as you can get.

Setting up a dictatorship wouldn't be beneficial for the country - so it's not practical. Practical for forcing legislation through but little else.
    ... and your basing that on what? An extensive military career? Naturally any army has to be based upon a strict hierachial command structure to operate effectively but an army in a democratic state needs to be representative of the people.

If you think that an army should be 'representative' because of an ideal to the detriment of its effectiveness then that's up to you.

Well I'm obviously not. Would you explain why that comment is so ridiculous?

The will of people does not direct the Army's operations. If you think that then you're seriously misguided. Look at Iraq & Afghanistan, those conflicts have nothing to do with the will of the people but the will of a minority.
  • Options

What a load of bollocks. I say that you seem to be insecure about sex in general - not just homosexuality - because you are making it out to be a big thing. According to you people having sexual relationships is uniquely damaging to the fighting efficiency of a military unit.

no one is denying there is an effect. Just that it is a significant one.

I doubt I'll be responding to you further in this thread; you seem to be quite irrational, you ignore any information that doesn't fit your hypothesis, you take statistically insignificant events and make them out to be vital - discusion with you is pointless.

What has that poll got to do with this? this is a better question

The point is most straight men in the army aren't going to be happy with homosexuals in the ranks because of the intimacy factor - that's not something you can change. In the forces a close-knit bong has to form amongst the ranks - obviously very important when going into combat. same thing when i ran with gangs when younger. That bond isn't going to be forged easily with homosexuals in the ranks. Sad, perhaps - true, definitely.

The whole "oh you're just insecure" nonsense is just daft. Nothing insecure about preferring to live so intimately with heterosexuals of your own sex. Bet you'd be the first to complain about guys perving over you in such a circumstance.

If I wouldn't be happy with it - someone on the Left with an open mind - then you'd get told to fuck off point blank by your average squaddie.

The problem is you don't understand the gang mentality possessed by a lot of males...that's the stumbling block for your misplaced ideals...misplaced because in an ideal world there would be no need for armed forces in the first place.
  • Options
    SkiveSkive Posts: 15,283 Skive's The Limit
    How many women would be comfortable living so imtamately with a bunch of blokes?
    Not many I would think.
    Weekender Offender 
  • Options
    i haven't seen the word objectification in this thread ...
  • Options
    or capitalism
  • Options
    minimi38 wrote:
    or capitalism
    :p
  • Options
    In the forces a close-knit bong has to form amongst the ranks

ahhh, so THAT's what the lads are doing over in Afghanistan. :thumb:

One way to deal with the massive increase in Poppies, I suppose.
  • Options
    NQA wrote:
    one of the reasons women are excluded from front line combat.
    In all armies?

Like it or not having homosexuals in does damage that small unit efficiency.
    says who? not the 1993 Rand study I mentioned earlier. Back it up.

Studies do show that don't ask don't tell is harmful to unit cohesion, and that soldiers being out improves the cohesion.
  • Options
    Spliffie wrote:
    The point is most straight men in the army aren't going to be happy with homosexuals in the ranks because of the intimacy factor
    there is little intimacy in the modern army
    - that's not something you can change. In the forces a close-knit bong has to form amongst the ranks - obviously very important when going into combat. That bond isn't going to be forged easily with homosexuals in the ranks. Sad, perhaps - true, definitely.
    not according to the studies I've referenced. Where's your evidence.
    The whole "oh you're just insecure" nonsense is just daft. Nothing insecure about preferring to live so intimately with heterosexuals of your own sex. Bet you'd be the first to complain about guys perving over you in such a circumstance.
    I don't know how else to explain those projecting their own fears onto our fighting men, despite evidence given that they generally don't mind.
    If I wouldn't be happy with it - someone on the Left with an open mind - then you'd get told to fuck off point blank by your average squaddie.

The problem is you don't understand the gang mentality possessed by a lot of males...that's the stumbling block for your misplaced ideals...misplaced because in an ideal world there would be no need for armed forces in the first place.
    I'm not basing this on ideals, merely on the basis that Gay men have always served in the military, and always will. Often when their sexuality was discovered they were blackmailed/forced into performing sexual servies for the straight ratings/squaddies. Modern studies show that unlike you moaning civvies soldiers actually don't have a problem with gays in their units (although they may have a problem with the abstract notion of gays, they don't mind Tom who actually is gay)
  • Options

The Don't Ask Don't tell system is good in principle, it makes it so that the issue doesn't even come up. The problem comes from when the brass doesn't hold up its side of the bargin, many times the military will deliberatly trying to dig into peoples person choices.
    It is the worst possible system in principle - just think about it. it is also bad in practice
  • Options
    all the arguments against gays in the forces were put forward about gays in the police force ...guess what ...there are now openly gay coppers and the force didn't fall apart.
  • Options
    Modern studies show that unlike you moaning civvies soldiers actually don't have a problem with gays in their units (although they may have a problem with the abstract notion of gays, they don't mind Tom who actually is gay)

Which ones are these? As far as Id experienced squaddies tended to be homophobic, xenophobic, sexist, you name it. Just from my personal experience, not a generalisation, but Id imagine its a culture of intoleerance that carries through to some extent.
  • Options
    It is the worst possible system in principle - just think about it.
    obviously I have and have found nothing wrong with it. The whole reason I go on these debate forums is to discuss, so.... discuss. If you think it's bad in principle lets hear why.
  • Options
    Which ones are these? As far as Id experienced squaddies tended to be homophobic, xenophobic, sexist, you name it. Just from my personal experience, not a generalisation, but Id imagine its a culture of intoleerance that carries through to some extent.
    absolutely, but while the squaddies may hate blacks, they don't mind Mike and Jim in their unit who happen to be balck. Or that's how I understand it works.
  • Options
    In all armies?

Pretty much - Israel removed women from front line combat because it broke up unit efficiency. The myths of hordes of women combat troops under the USSR is just that - a myth.

says who? not the 1993 Rand study I mentioned earlier. Back it up.

Studies do show that don't ask don't tell is harmful to unit cohesion, and that soldiers being out improves the cohesion

Studies done by academics who have never worn uniform in their lives. I base my views on having been a regular soldier. That's my back up - please let me know of your actual experience, rather than what you have read
  • Options
    i haven't seen the word objectification in this thread ...

oh look, its mr shit stirring across multiple threads again. Grow up.
This discussion has been closed.