Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Gays in the Military!

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    The point is - it's expected in real life.

In all honesty, suppose I wasn't taking care of my patients because I was too busy checking out nurses or flirting with female doctors? Suppose I was too busy having a tiff with my medical student girlfriend to bother with a cardiac arrest? It would be an outrage, I would be guilty of negligence, professional misconduct and would probably be struck off.
    (Not that I have any patients yet of course...)

It's the same in any job - if you spend your time working on relationships instead of the job in hand, in most cases you will be disciplined. However, in most cases it just doesn't happen because people know the difference between when and when not to put everything to one side and get on with it.
  • Options
    Skive wrote:
    Again, I agree that this would be the ideal but it's simply not real life.

Well if this is the case, lets talk about another profession where lives are at stake. Should women and homosexuals be banned from working in hospitals? After all, you don't want a couple to be splitting up when they're supposed to be working on a heart transplant together do you?
  • Options
    dr_carter wrote:
    The point is - it's expected in real life.

In all honesty, suppose I wasn't taking care of my patients because I was too busy checking out nurses or flirting with female doctors? Suppose I was too busy having a tiff with my medical student girlfriend to bother with a cardiac arrest? It would be an outrage, I would be guilty of negligence, professional misconduct and would probably be struck off.
    (Not that I have any patients yet of course...)

It's the same in any job - if you spend your time working on relationships instead of the job in hand, in most cases you will be disciplined. However, in most cases it just doesn't happen because people know the difference between when and when not to put everything to one side and get on with it.

Beat me to it. ;)
  • Options
    Skive wrote:
    Again, I agree that this would be the ideal but it's simply not real life.
    In this real life gays are in the the UK military. If the problems you imagine were rife, I'm sure we would be hearing about it.
  • Options
    SkiveSkive Posts: 15,283 Skive's The Limit
    Who said anything about relationships? You seem to think that the gay soldiers are automatically going to try and get with other soldiers. If they do then they should be sacked for being unprofessional, not for being gay. A few years ago, I'm sure there would have been men who would be uncomfortable living so intimately with people of other races/religions etc.

If you had women and men sharing the same quarters and living with each other 24/7 you'll end up with a scandal. If I had the chance of sharing quarters with a bunch of women I'd sign up today, why would gay men behave any different.

The ability of our armed forces shoudn't be based upon how tolerent they are, it should be based upon how effective they are in combat situations.

I agree that in a perfect world anybody with the desire should be able join the the military. Unfortunately this isn't a perfect world and the equality you're after will only server to weaken our forces.
    Weekender Offender 
  • Options
    while likely to be biased, http://www.military-education.org/ links to many studies that may address the concerns you have.
  • Options
    Skive wrote:
    If you had women and men sharing the same quarters and living with each other 24/7 you'll end up with a scandal. If I had the chance of sharing quarters with a bunch of women I'd sign up today, why would gay men behave any different.
    Ahh, the meat of the matter. Don't project your character flaws onto the gay population.
    The ability of our armed forces shoudn't be based upon how tolerent they are, it should be based upon how effective they are in combat situations.
    "A 1993 Rand Report provided an exhaustive study on gays in the military and concluded that the U.S. military could lift the gay ban without detriment to readiness."
    I agree that in a perfect world anybody with the desire should be able join the the military. Unfortunately this isn't a perfect world and the equality you're after will only server to weaken our forces.
    "Members of the Army Reserves and the National Guard who inform their commanders that they are gay are routinely converted into active duty status" - it seems that your proposal would be the one that actually weakens the armed forces...
  • Options
    In this real life gays are in the the UK military. If the problems you imagine were rife, I'm sure we would be hearing about it.

Well I wouldn't feel very comfortable living with women 24/7, sharing the same quarters and showers. I wouldn't feel comfortable that some of my comrades had sexual relationships with other comrades. Same as with gay men.

Sex and sexuality can affecs and complicate comradery. I don't see how how can deny that!
    Weekender Offender 
  • Options
    Ahh, the meat of the matter. Don't project your character flaws onto the gay population.

Shall I do a poll?
    Weekender Offender 
  • Options
    Skive wrote:

You most likely would end up with a scandel if men and women shared quarters, yes. Why would gay men be different? Because unlike men and women sharing quarters, with gay men the attraction would only be one way. You would only end up with a scandal if two gay men were placed together, both fancied the other one, and both were unprofessional enough to let it go further than that (at which point they would be chucked out well before they got to the front line). The chances of someone leaving a post unguarded because he was wanking off his fellow soldier is minimal. Much less than a straight soldier leaving it unguarded whilst shagging a hooker (okay, maybe I've seen too many Vietnam war films).

I agree, soldiers shouldn't be picked on their tolerance levels, but on their ability to put everything about their personal lives aside and concentrate on the job they are paid to do.
  • Options
    Skive wrote:
    Well I wouldn't feel very comfortable living with women 24/7, sharing the same quarters and showers.
    earlier you said you would be all for it. Make up you mind.

In the real world this happens. Those professionals manage. I agree you probably couldn't.
    I wouldn't feel comfortable that some of my comrades had sexual relationships with other comrades.
    Ah didums. When you grow up I'm sure you'll look back on your insecurities and laugh. Or cry.

Sex and sexuality can affecs and complicate comradery. I don't see how how can deny that!
    So does a whole bunch of other things. What if some your comrades play poker with each other, but not you? that would affect and complicate comradery. What if one man has an affair with another man's wife?
  • Options
    Skive wrote:
    Shall I do a poll?
    "In December 2003, a CNN/Gallop Poll found that 78% of Americans believe gays should be allowed to serve openly in the military. 91% of young people ages 18 - 29 believe the ban should be lifted. Public opinion polls indicate a majority of Americans favor allowing gays to serve in uniform. A Fox News poll conducted in August 2003 shows that 64 percent of Americans now favor allowing gays to serve openly in the military, up from 56 percent in a similar poll taken in 2001"
  • Options
    You would only end up with a scandal if two gay men were placed together,

Ok. One gay man per sqaud. :rolleyes:

Mixing gay men with other gay men is no different than mixing straight men with women. Surely you can see that?
    Weekender Offender 
  • Options
    Skive wrote:
    Ok. One gay man per sqaud. :rolleyes:

Mixing gay men with other gay men is no different than mixing straight men with women. Surely you can see that?

Ah selectively quoting. A sign that your losing the debate?

I can see that, but I imagine that only one or two people per squad would be gay, therefore the chances of a 'scandal' are surely vastly smaller. Incidentally, what I wrote in the part of my response you failed to quote.
  • Options
    earlier you said you would be all for it. Make up you mind.

You're quite right., I'd be all up for living with a bunch of fit women, but not so much intrusting my life with other soldiers who have relationships with others
    In the real world this happens. Those professionals manage. I agree you probably couldn't.

The army is quite different from any other occupation.
    Ah didums. When you grow up I'm sure you'll look back on your insecurities and laugh. Or cry.

And I'm insecure about what exactly?

So does a whole bunch of other things. What if some your comrades play poker with each other, but not you? that would affect and complicate comradery. What if one man has an affair with another man's wife?

Just because other things may affect comradery doesn't mean that we should ignore anythng else that affects comradery?

It's an added complication. Can you deny that it isn't?
    Weekender Offender 
  • Options
    Ah selectively quoting. A sign that your losing the debate?

Nah, I'm just pickng at the stupid things you say.

You seem to forget that I agree with you that nobody shoudl be prevented from joing the military, in a perfect world of course.

But it isn't perfect.

With the addition of women in the military we've seen an increase in scandals. Can you deny that?
    Weekender Offender 
  • Options
    Skive wrote:
    The army is quite different from any other occupation.
    I was talking about the army in Afganistan, where both men and women soldiers were able to shower despite the lack of privacy.[/quote]
    And I'm insecure about what exactly?
    homosexuality - (edit) or sex in general
    Just because other things may affect comradery doesn't mean that we should ignore anythng else that affects comradery?
    No, it means we shouldn't blow it out of proportion
    It's an added complication. Can you deny that it isn't?
    I deny that it is a significant added complication. It is one of thousands - and a minor one at that.
  • Options
    Skive wrote:
    With the addition of women in the military we've seen an increase in scandals. Can you deny that?
    The only scandals that have been particularly visable are the ones where soldiers apparently shoot themselves. Does this mean we shouldn't give them guns?
  • Options
    homosexuality

How am I insecure about that then? Please elaborate?

I deny that it is a significant added complication. It is one of thousands - and a minor one at that.

Homosexulity isn't significant in most occupations. I would however think it's pretty significant when you share the same quarters.

If your arguing for gays in the military I would aslo expect to see you argue for unisex quarters in the military. Men and Women sharing showers and living quarters.
    Weekender Offender 
  • Options
    Skive wrote:
    Nah, I'm just pickng at the stupid things you say.

You seem to forget that I agree with you that nobody shoudl be prevented from joing the military, in a perfect world of course.

But it isn't perfect.

No you're not, you're using the age old method of those without a valid argument. Pick on a little bit of what I've said and ignore the rest. You couldn't even pick a whole sentence for God's sake. :rolleyes:

I can't deny that there has been an increase in scandals since the introduction of women into the military, but then I'm not the one making the statement. You said it, you prove it.
  • Options
    I can't deny that there has been an increase in scandals since the introduction of women into the military, but then I'm not the one making the statement. You said it, you prove it.

Fuck prooving it, do you or do you not agree that with the addition of women in the military there has been an increase in sex scandals?
    Weekender Offender 
  • Options
    Skive wrote:
    Homosexulity isn't significant in most occupations. I would however think it's pretty significant when you share the same quarters.
    There are many positions where people don't even share quarters. I remeber a couple of years ago they kicked out a couple of Arab translators because they found out they were gay. Thing about it is that they worked in office cubicles and lived at home.
    If your arguing for gays in the military I would aslo expect to see you argue for unisex quarters in the military. Men and Women sharing showers and living quarters.
    the seperation of quarters in the case of men and women is to protect the individual from the group (i.e. harrasment or worse). Arguing for a seperation between gays and straights in quarters is arguing to protect an entire group from one or two guys. But I do get what ya mean, I would deffinatly be a little creeped out knowing I was showering with a gay man.
  • Options
    Skive wrote:
    How am I insecure about that then? Please elaborate?
    see all your messages in this thread
    Oil rigs? Fire stations?
    Hell, even in "professional life" I get to share hotel rooms with my straight co-workers. In my private life I've slept in the same bed as a straight woman on several occasions. I admit, I don't sleep naked on those occasions.
    "Another soldier who served in Iraq said that in the first few weeks, bathing facilities were so scarce that people showered outside in the open, where even men and women could see one another."
  • Options
    There are many positions where people don't even share quarters. I remeber a couple of years ago they kicked out a couple of Arab translators because they found out they were gay. Thing about it is that they worked in office cubicles and lived at home.

the seperation of quarters in the case of men and women is to protect the individual from the group (i.e. harrasment or worse). Arguing for a seperation between gays and straights in quarters is arguing to protect an entire group from one or two guys. But I do get what ya mean, I would deffinatly be a little creeped out knowing I was showering with a gay man.

why would u be creeped out?? My god, dont be so conceded. Do you think there checking you or something................ think about it, i mean come on its 2005...
  • Options
    Skive wrote:
    Fuck prooving it, do you or do you not agree that with the addition of women in the military there has been an increase in sex scandals?

What d'you mean fuck proving it? I will admit that I currently don't know whether there has been an increase in sex scandals in the military because I have no proof one way or the other. I could easily say that I do not agree with you, and I'd have as much proof as you've presented, but that wouldn't get us anywhere. However, I do know the gutter press in the country has a habit of making 'scandal' out of anything, and imagine that certain sections of it would have no problem using them to push an anti-women-in-the-military agenda.
  • Options
    why would u be creeped out?? My god, dont be so conceded. Do you think there checking you or something................ think about it, i mean come on its 2005...
    It is 2005 what's your point? Never claimed it was rational, just said that I would find it creepy.
  • Options
    Women belong in the kitchen and gays belong in the hairdressing trade..pfft everyone knows that!
  • Options

I imagine a lot of guys would be, maybe for a couple of weeks. Until of course they realised that he isn't going to try and fuck you every time you have a shower.
  • Options
    see all your messages in this thread

Again I'm insecure how?

One of the favourite arguments against those who have anything negative to say agianst homosexuals is that they must be inesecure about their own sexuality.

What a load of bollocks.

Some people are straight, some are gay, some are men some are women. Thats life, each to their own.

Denying the fact that these variables can affect your life and those around you is stupid.
    Weekender Offender 
  • Options
    I will admit that I currently don't know whether there has been an increase in sex scandals in the military because I have no proof one way or the other.

Ok. When there were no women in the military how many sex scandals invovling men and women were there?
    I think the answers fuckign obvious don't you?
    I imagine a lot of guys would be, maybe for a couple of weeks. Until of course they realised that he isn't going to try and fuck you every time you have a shower.

How comfortable would you feel sharing a shower with a collegue of the opposite sex?
    How comfortable would you feel with you life resting in the hands of collegues that have 'issues' with each other.
    I'm not saying that every gay man fancys every bloke, but I fail to see how gay men living with each other is different than men and women lviing with each other.
    Weekender Offender 
This discussion has been closed.