Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨

Singapore hang Australian drug trafficker

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    What we need is leaders who will not suck cock of the devil out of economic and/or political interest.

Amongst all the other things he might be (and the little I know about him makes him come across as a right wing nasty piece of shit) Howard will be remembered in infamy with Blair, Mussolini (sorry, I meant Berlusconi) and Aznar as the pathetic wimps who supported the necon administration of G. W. Bush against the wishes of the rest of the world.

But it's not my wish to derail the thread any longer towards an Iraq war discussion so I'll leave it there.

Anyways, for what Kermit says his disposition to help the Australian man in Singapore wasn't exactly overwhelming. Another reason to despise him.
    So if we think Howard should have been tougher on Iraq, imposed sanctions, invaded etc, etc what should the UK Government have done about this

http://news.bbc.co.uk/onthisday/hi/dates/stories/march/15/newsid_2543000/2543475.stm
    Walkindude wrote:
    In Australia, it is compulosry to vote, I think you only get out of it if your a criminal or insane. So Australia has a mass turnout for voting. If Howard wins an election it is because the people wanted him there.

Some of the people did.

But he did win the election. Fair enough. The main reason was because Howard has cut unemployment, which is the same reason why Blair keeps winning. He's been lucky. They didn't trust Latham because he was young.

It was a mistake to not trust Latham. Though Latham wouldn't be much different.

And for the record, I was born a Sydneysider so I do know what goes on over there.
    Kermit wrote:
    Sydneysider
    Is that how you said it? I had wondered in the past...

Still would like to know how you call people from Los Angeles or Chicago.

(Sorry for derail).
    Aladdin wrote:
    Is that how you said it? I had wondered in the past...

Yep. It's the harbour that's called Sydney, hence the name.
    Ok, so let me get this right, a guy from Australia went to Singapore and committed a crime punishable by the death penality there and he got sentenced to death and executed? But because he was an Australian it has got all this attention? What is the big deal about this one story? surely loads of people get executed in Singapore for various crimes punishable by death, surely they should all get some attention?

As for my opinion, he committed a crime knowing the consequesnces so he has himself to blame, how much he had in drugs isnt the case, it was still a crime to the nation of singapore, though death penalty is harsh.

Howard in Australia is a good PM for the country. And why is it wrong, for him and his government who were legally elected by the epople of his nation under a system the people have chosen to have and maintain, to make laws on immigration that are specific? surely it is the Australian peoples country for them to allow immigration as they wish? It is the sovereign right. I think all countries should be able to be as specific as they wish with immigration.

As for Bush in the US, he is a dumb-ass! Hillary Clinton for President!!!!!
    Well as I was over here int he UK I didn't see too much of the run up to the election and so forth but I did see that Latham and he was god aweful. I am so glad he didn't get in.

He was the sterotypical view of the Australian and lack the finesse and diplomacy skills of need to be a PM. He just seemd like an Australian version of George Bush to be honest.

Howard cut employment and they are growing econmically and a fair rate. They are ina period of prosperity. I was there under Paul Keating and he was a dick that did nothing for the country. Howard doesn't seem that fair right to me but of course these days, if your white, western and don't say "fuck george bush" then your a far right facist killing poor innocent people all the time.

I was born in Brisbane.
    the reason the man gave for drug smuggling was to pay off his addict brothers debts. Believe it or not but the Australian government argued it was a special case.

Mind you, I guess I'd want my country's government to try and get me off a death sentance in a foreign country.
    subject13 wrote:
    As for my opinion, he committed a crime knowing the consequesnces so he has himself to blame, how much he had in drugs isnt the case, it was still a crime to the nation of singapore, though death penalty is harsh.

I agree. I abhor the death penalty ... but just as I would not work in Iraq to make a quick buck because of the dangers, I wouldn't traffic drugs in a country where I knew I could be executed for it ...
    yeah I wouldn traffic drugs either, especially not in those countries. Floggings for leaving chewing gum so you can imagine and now see what the penalties are for serious crimes.
    Aladdin wrote:
    You're right. I forgot to mention an ultra right wing, god-bothering cowboy who refuses to sign up to environmental treaties and has prompted a new arms race. Amongst other things.

Damn those right wingers for inventing more effective and less damaging environmental treaties. Cunts the lot of them.
    Kermit wrote:
    Well, if you call asking nicely "pleading" then whatever. The Victorian Premier Steve Bracks got off his arse and did something; Howard's administration didn't.

5 personal pleas of clemency accoring to the telegraph and al jazeera.

Yes, he did nothing.
    Aladdin wrote:
    Still would like to know how you call people from Los Angeles or Chicago.
    Americans.
    Kermit wrote:
    Story.

I don't know how anyone can justify such a tale, really.

The man was carrying a arge quantity of heroin, but is that really enough reason to tie him to a noose and snuff out his life?

Does smuggling some heroin mean that you should be killed in cold blood?

Of course not. What a terrible story. And what a surprise that John Howard is quite happy to tolerate this behaviour by Singapore, and not make a stand.

Although obviously people only care because he's an Aussie.

Sovereignty, doofus.

Politics 101!
    Aladdin wrote:
    What we need is leaders who will not suck cock of the devil out of economic and/or political interest.

No what we 'need' in your world is voters who put the interests of Gary Glitter ahead of their own economic interests.

Sadly these people do not exist and I doubt even you or Kermit would be willing to lose your jobs for the sake of Gary Glitter, would you?
    Toadborg wrote:
    No what we 'need' in your world is voters who put the interests of Gary Glitter ahead of their own economic interests.
    What the fuck are you on about? :rolleyes:
    Sadly these people do not exist and I doubt even you or Kermit would be willing to lose your jobs for the sake of Gary Glitter, would you?
    Losing our jobs... country going to pits... of course, blah blah blah.

Well that's a risk I'm willing to take. Not that is going to happen for making for restricting trade with some nations.

I suppose we should have continued to sell arms to Saddam Hussein and to arm every despot on the planet with anything they need. At the end of the day weapons manufacturers are an important part of the economy and the lives of a few thousand foreigners are well worth safeguarding our jobs and our economy, right Toadborg?

What on earth has happened to you anyway? I swear I did not remember you to be like this.
    ---
    0/10 Born Slippy- really a poor effort.
    Toadborg wrote:
    So you want to see rich western nations 'forcing their values' on the poorer world by blackmailing them with trade sanctions?

We already do.
    subject13 wrote:
    it was still a crime to the nation of singapore

Actually, it wasn't.

He was arrested in transit, on his way from Cambodia to Melbourne. The drugs were going to Australia, it was a crime against Australia.
    Howard in Australia is a good PM for the country.

He's cut unemployment and created a stable economy, much like Blair has in the UK.

I don't think he is good for Australia, and I never have done. I think I am more entitled than most people on these boards to make that judgement, having a blue passport with Australia stamped on the front and everything.

The Aborigines are treated appallingly by the Australian government, and whilst things have got better, they are still treated as fifth or sixth class citizens by the country, and by a lot of people in it. The Aborgines are disrespected, and because they have huge problems with drug and alcohol abuse because of the social ostracism, many actually blame the Aborigines for everything. There have been many riots recently in the very poor Western Suburbs of Sydney, out towards Parramatta, because of the unaddressed poverty faced by the mostly Aborigine and immigrant communities there.

Aborigines in positions of power are rare. There are one or two politicians, and then Cathy Freeman is a national heroine, but there aren't that many.

Racism is still a significant problem in much of the country, away from the main cities. Upstate rural Queensland in particular is a big problem with racists, and that has a big impact on social policy in that state. Various far-right politicians have come close to getting real power in Queensland because of it.

Having said that, many Australians are actually totally against the immigration policy. There have been many cases recently, particularly in Melbourne which is a symbol of multiculturalism in action, where there has been huge uproar at deportations of immigrant women and children after their Australian husbands have died.

Howard is in power because he's created a stable economy. Much of the rest of his policy is not liked, but they don't want to vote out the bloke who's given them jobs.
    I can not blame the people, if they have jobs, for many, that is most important.

I did not know you were an Australian living in Australia Kermit. What is it like down there at the moment? I bet it is warmer then here in the UK.
    what??

Man, anothe person perpetuating the poor plight of the Aboriginies. And before say anything kermit, I was born in brisbane, lived there for years and have the blue passport with the stamp so am just as qualified as you to speak on the subject.

I am sick of every westener thinking its their duty to destest and inuslt their own country, downgrade its culure and accuse it of everything under the sun. Americans do it to their country, britians to do it here and as we can see australians are at it aswell.

There is a thing called time. Time moves forward and events become the past. Progression relies ont he moving of time and something called moving on. Moving on is good as it allows people and countries to progress and prosepr into new eras. However many people, pumped up by cliched ideas of rebellion and media inspired guilt seek to keep everything in the past and refuse to move on, even taking selective viewpoints of facts to maintain their position.

Aborigines WERE treated appealing at by the Australian government, at one time. However, time has moved on and now that is not so. You also cannot blame every problem on your government or the evil white man, there is something called personal responibility which we all have. They are not treated as fifith or sixth class citizens at all. They have to take responisibility for their own actions. I suppose the Australian government who treats them so badly never inacted a multi million buliding and services plan to give the Aborginies livng out of the major populous areas, new houses completed free of charge. Oh wait a second, they did. And what did the Aborigines do? They burnt them and refused to use them is what they did.

Yes unfortunately there are a lot of young aborgines especially who see the white man as the vil that destroyed them and abores anything to do with them, except when it comes to geting their dole money form the white man government and buying the white mans booze and getting pissed in the streets.

Oh, you also forgot to mention the land scheme that gives the aborgines back the land hat was supposedly stolen from them and the fruadulent claims they made on it. They treid claiming some land back and it turns out that tribe had no claim to the land whatsoever, although some groups are still claiming the choice pieces of real estate back.

Oh and if poverty is living ina desert or bush area with has few facilities and a harsh way of life, well guess what. White people live there to and its just how it is out there. Its hard and tough, no matter what skin colour you are.

Howard is in power because they were sick of a labour government, namely paul keating and the party hasn't put up a suitable candidate to challange Howard for the postion.

Oh and that pesky cutting unemployment trick and economic prosperity he managed.
    Aladdin wrote:
    What the fuck are you on about? :rolleyes:

What I am on about is that we live in a democracy and to some degree politicians should be doing what the people want, something you are all for I beleive? Thus there is no use blaming the politicians solely for doing something you disagree with, you have to consider that a lot of people are in favour of the death penalty and the vast majority don't really care if Gary Glitter gets shot and most probably actively support it.
    Aladdin wrote:
    Losing our jobs... country going to pits... of course, blah blah blah.

Well that's a risk I'm willing to take. Not that is going to happen for making for restricting trade with some nations.

You are suggesting trade sanctions yes, the only way this would owkr is if harmed that country, this would mean harming this country as well however because trade is mutually beneficial.

I do not beleive that you would accept losing your job for the sake of Gary Glitter's life.........
    Toadborg wrote:
    What I am on about is that we live in a democracy and to some degree politicians should be doing what the people want, something you are all for I beleive? Thus there is no use blaming the politicians solely for doing something you disagree with, you have to consider that a lot of people are in favour of the death penalty and the vast majority don't really care if Gary Glitter gets shot and most probably actively support it.
    I suspect it's rather different than that, and that if a national referendum (instead of a phone poll by irate S*n "readers") you would see that a majority of people in this country don't want to return to barbarism.

And what if it's not an evil paedo? Do you think we should allow British citizens caught with some cannabis to be hanged or have their head chopped off?

You are suggesting trade sanctions yes, the only way this would owkr is if harmed that country, this would mean harming this country as well however because trade is mutually beneficial.

I do not beleive that you would accept losing your job for the sake of Gary Glitter's life.........
    Screw the 'beneficial' part... screw putting profits before people. Which is what all of this is about anyway.

If nations were given a clear choice: abolish the death penalty by, say, 2007 or face trade sanctions, then they would have only themselves to blame if they allow the trade sanctions to take place.

It should be our responsibility to eradicate barbarism from the face of the earth. And free markets, fat profits and greed can go to hell to be perfectly honest
    You are talking bollocks, it has got nothing to do with 'greed and fat profits and free markets'.

Would you be willing ot lose your job or not?

Why is it putting profits before people, politicians don't want to use sanctions becuase companies profits are hurt (many would benefit in fact) but because people (voters) would ose their jobs and experience financial hardship, so why on earth are they putting profits before people?

Yes I agree that we should do what we can to eliminate the death penalty but trade sanctions are a completely useless route.

Weren't you one of the ones that so heavily criticised the US etc for not making full use of diplomatic channels around the Iraq war, but resorting to direct action instead? Now it is you advocating direct actions and screwing diplomacy through some misplaced idealism.....
    Toadborg wrote:
    You are talking bollocks, it has got nothing to do with 'greed and fat profits and free markets'.

Would you be willing ot lose your job or not?
    To eradicate the death penalty or even save a few lives, even if the condemned were nasty pieces of shit? Without a doubt.

Not that threatening, say, Indonesia with trade sanctions is going to make a single person in the UK (let alone me, who works in antiques and not exactly dependant on Indonesian customers) out of a job. You appear to be using the old and tired cries and warning from businessmen that any reform or change to their status (i.e. anything that might even slightly reduce their profits) is going to cost mass unemployment and economic ruin for the country. All of it nonsense.

Yes I agree that we should do what we can to eliminate the death penalty but trade sanctions are a completely useless route.

Weren't you one of the ones that so heavily criticised the US etc for not making full use of diplomatic channels around the Iraq war, but resorting to direct action instead? Now it is you advocating direct actions and screwing diplomacy through some misplaced idealism.....
    LOL... are you comparing economic sanctions with the use of force???
    What are these magical trade sanctions that are going to force countries to change their laws yet have no impact on anything? Very strange.......

The principle is the same, previously you were saying that we should always use diplomatic routes to resolve international problems, now you are saying that we shoudl take action, thus you have changed your mind, haven't you?
    Sanctions are part of a diplomacy. They are non violent. They don't use force. They don't involve firing weapons and dropping bombs and killing tens of thousands in the process. And moreover there are many levels that can be implemented.

No one is suggesting suffocating a country to death ffs. Just hit (a bit) it where it hurts. If you impose tariffs on a countries biggest export sales will be reduced and the powerful people who trade in them will see their profits reduced. And they will turn to their government and ask it to get it sorted, fast.

That's how it works. Couldn't be more different from "direct action" or the use of force if you tried.
    Like Iraq?