Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Singapore hang Australian drug trafficker

Story.

I don't know how anyone can justify such a tale, really.

The man was carrying a arge quantity of heroin, but is that really enough reason to tie him to a noose and snuff out his life?

Does smuggling some heroin mean that you should be killed in cold blood?

Of course not. What a terrible story. And what a surprise that John Howard is quite happy to tolerate this behaviour by Singapore, and not make a stand.

Although obviously people only care because he's an Aussie.
Beep boop. I'm a bot.

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Its not even that much heroin, grim indeed. Didnt they hang someone for smuggling cannabis a while back?

Yep, just over a kilo of cannabis and they hanged him, vile.

http://www.tdpf.org.uk/MediaNews_LatestNews_UrgentAction.htm
  • Options
    It's a barbaric and horrific thing to do, like all death sentences.

If civilised nations had any gulls they would impose trade sanctions or other forms of punishment on nations that still have the death sentence. But of course that would mean making less money...

That's why I was hoping (unlike many people in this country I suspect) that if Gary Glitter was going to be given the death penalty the government would do anything in its power to have the sentence commuted.
  • Options
    umm I don't know where you read that he isn't taking a stand. I mean, true they didn't stop them but I was reading just today that he has warned that relations between the countries will be highly damaged by this.
  • Options
    Walkindude wrote:
    umm I don't know where you read that he isn't taking a stand.

He isn't.

He's posturing, like Howard always does. But he never actually puts any money where his mouth is.

He wouldn't even miss the day's cricket to attend a vigil for him. Let alone start trade emargos with Singapore.

If it hadn't been for Latham being so inexperienced we'd have finally got rid of him. Howard is one of those turds you can't get rid of no matter how many times you pull the chain.
  • Options
    Would trade embargoes do any good though, I very much doubt it.

and of course that would also mean trade sanctions on the USA, Russia, Saudi Arabia etc which would of course lead to economic misery. What politician is going to do that for the sake of a drug dealer or a child molester?

I also seem to remember certain people complaiing about the terrible effects of sanctions with regard to Iraq...........
  • Options
    Toadborg wrote:

and of course that would also mean trade sanctions on the USA, Russia, Saudi Arabia etc which would of course lead to economic misery. What politician is going to do that for the sake of a drug dealer or a child molester?

I also seem to remember certain people complaiing about the terrible effects of sanctions with regard to Iraq...........

But sanctions only work on a country with something to loose, Singapore has a low way down it could go, so well organised sanctions could get them to change this ruling. They will never happen though.
  • Options
    So you want to see rich western nations 'forcing their values' on the poorer world by blackmailing them with trade sanctions?

What on earth do you mean by 'well-organised' sanctions? Sanctions cause harm to someone or there is no point, and as Iraq demonstrated this harm is normally on the poorest and most vulnerable, not the rich and the powerful it may be aimed at though I would add that is often the poor and the vulnerable that support the death penalty the most.........

Do you think placing 'sanctions' on the USA, China, Russia, Saudi Arabi etc would be a good idea, or just very small and weak countries?
  • Options
    Toadborg wrote:
    So you want to see rich western nations 'forcing their values' on the poorer world by blackmailing them with trade sanctions?

Do you think placing 'sanctions' on the USA, China, Russia, Saudi Arabi etc would be a good idea, or just very small and weak countries?

Well no, not for this case actually, its aborant, but no more so than any other death penalty.

But sanctions can be a useful tool (the EU vs. the US about steel).
  • Options
    Well those were trade restrictions sanctioned by the WTO in response to other trade sanctions, which is completely different to this.

I am not entitrely sure what those sanctions achieved either.......
  • Options
    Toadborg wrote:

One with principles would. But the few politicians who have that quality seldom get into positions of power.
    The sanctions against Iraq were of an unprecented brutality and austerity. There is no need to go that far by any means...
  • Options
    Toadborg wrote:

I'd like to see it happen.

And Singapore is hardly a weak country.

Trade embargoes were not the only thing placed on Iraq, even medicine was not allowed to enter the country.
  • Options
    Are you anti-Howard because he was pro war on Iraq and friend to bush?

I haven't been in there for a few years now but I did live under the Keating government and he was a complete twat. Also I just read up on some Australian news this morning. Lowest unemployment for over a hundred years and Howard is just short of being the PM having the most prosperous term. There is concern over interests rates though I think.
  • Options
    Walkindude wrote:

His immigration policy is openly racist and his policy towards the natives is foul for a start.
  • Options
    Walkindude wrote:
    That's all the reason anyone needs.
  • Options
    Walkindude wrote:

No, but it is another very good reason to despise the man.

I despise him for the same reasons I despise Blair. I hated him ever since he got into power. He was marginally better to Keating, I must admit.

I think Latham would have made an excellent PM.
  • Options
    Well 1) No it isn't Aladdin, and quite frankly the anti-bush brigade are just getting boring.

and 2) I have never ever seen or read or experienced anything racist in Howards policies, especially to the "native" population".

You take arguments at surface value just coz its about a western, white leader and dealing with a native population and immigration.

Oh and before you say anything, I lived in the country so I do have a clue what I am talking about.
  • Options
    Aladdin wrote:
    One with principles would. But the few politicians who have that quality seldom get into positions of power.

One who was a fucking idiot might.

It is all well and good talking about principles but to think that such actions would do more good than harm is absurd.

Do you do everything in your life according to your principles or do you give in to practical reality sometimes?
  • Options
    Kermit wrote:
    I'd like to see it happen.

Trade embargoes were not the only thing placed on Iraq, even medicine was not allowed to enter the country.

You would like to see the country fall into economic ruin for the sake of some principles? Glad you ain't leader.

Restricting the sale of medicine etc is exactly what a trade sanction is.
  • Options
    Walkindude wrote:
    Well 1) No it isn't Aladdin, and quite frankly the anti-bush brigade are just getting boring.
    I guess that depends whether you consider supporting a madman who cheated his way into power and illegally invaded a country, killing more than 100,000 innocent people and making the the entire world a far more dangerous place is acceptable or not.

In my view it isn't.
  • Options
    By happy coincidence the US has just passed a very important landmark today.

Congratulations and many happy returns!

http://uk.news.yahoo.com/02122005/325/u-s-carries-1-000th-execution.html

:rolleyes:
  • Options
    I never new that the US didn't have the death penalty for a while (if only for 9 years and unofficially). I assumed they always had it, wonder what made them stop it then bring it back.........
  • Options
    Aladdin wrote:
    By happy coincidence the US has just passed a very important landmark today.

Congratulations and many happy returns!

http://uk.news.yahoo.com/02122005/325/u-s-carries-1-000th-execution.html

:rolleyes:

Grim, even worse because they use that method.
  • Options
    Aladdin wrote:
    I guess that depends whether you consider supporting a madman who cheated his way into power and illegally invaded a country, killing more than 100,000 innocent people and making the the entire world a far more dangerous place is acceptable or not.

In my view it isn't.

:lol:

yeah like thats the whole story.
  • Options
    Kermit wrote:
    Story.

And what a surprise that John Howard is quite happy to tolerate this behaviour by Singapore, and not make a stand.

John Howard pleaded 5 times for the sentence to be communted.

Then again hes just an evil conservative so facts aside, hes a cunt.
  • Options
    minimi38 wrote:
    John Howard pleaded 5 times for the sentence to be communted.

Well, if you call asking nicely "pleading" then whatever. The Victorian Premier Steve Bracks got off his arse and did something; Howard's administration didn't.

Both the US and France managed to get sentenced commuted when they applied pressure to Singapore. The Howard administration did no such thing.

And when a prominent Melbourne lawyer points this out, the Foreign Minister goes on the rampage, calling him a "contemptible creep". Story.
  • Options
    an evil conservative cunt thats on a winning record of being elected though.
  • Options
    Walkindude wrote:
    :lol:

yeah like thats the whole story.

You're right. I forgot to mention an ultra right wing, god-bothering cowboy who refuses to sign up to environmental treaties and has prompted a new arms race. Amongst other things.

I could think of better people to lend my support to.
  • Options
    Walkindude wrote:

You could say the same about Blair, but when you look at the voting records its hardly a landslide victory.

Just because they have won elections does not mean even the majority of people want them there.
  • Options
    Walkindude wrote:

Which proves the old saying that Australia is to New Zealand what the US is to Canada.

Blair's got a good track record of winning, doesn't stop him being evil. Doesn't even mean he's popular, when you look at the voting records.

People don't care as long as the PM is lucky enough to have created jobs. Howard, like Blair, has been very jammy along the way.

It was a real shame that Latham lost.
  • Options
    lol

In Australia, it is compulosry to vote, I think you only get out of it if your a criminal or insane. So Australia has a mass turnout for voting. If Howard wins an election it is because the people wanted him there.

Aladdin- Its really so simple, they voted in a 2d cartoon bad guy! A super villain that will destroy the world with his crazy demands, we need the young, left wing superman to save us all!

sorry