Home Drink & Drugs
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

amsterdam

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Was planning a trip to amsterdam and have been hearing rumours about law changes and tourists not being allowed in coffee shops. Now ive been hearing them for years, and i cant find anything on the net about it, but i thought id check with you fine people before booking my tickets because i dont want to get there and find out i cant smoke!

Anyone heard anything or know anything definate about it??

Comments

• Options
    My friends went this past spring and had no problems.
  • Options
    justdecent wrote:
    My friends went this past spring and had no problems.

same story here
  • Options
    We went over the summer and it was fine, although aparantly a few have been closed down due to selling underage etc, so they're well tight on ID in the more touristy/central ones, which is always a good thing.
  • Options
    There have been some changes, I think they have been told to be lower key, not so obvious and they are really strict about age now.

So some have closed, but the trade is still as quasi-legal as its been.

I found Amsterdam a little dull myself, but others really liked it.
  • Options
    just back from the dam last weekend and it's exactly the same as it was two years ago. didn't see anything about restrictions coming in or anything and didn't hear anything about it either. i love amsterdam - but watch your back - the coca lads on the street appear to be selling drugs but are nothing more than thieves and muggers.
  • Options
    bananaman wrote:
    - but watch your back - the coca lads on the street appear to be selling drugs but are nothing more than thieves and muggers.

Or worse, an English tourist got stabbed there recently.
  • Options
    yup - have heard horror stories from amsterdam in the past - a friend got forced down a lane by three guys who had just pulled a knife out when an ambulance drove by with its siren on so the would be muggers legged it. he was pretty sure they meant serious business. feckin euroscum.

anyone going to amsterdam - bring ID out with you - we got stopped in one cafe - part of the Rokerij chain - and we sat down, looked at menu, then got asked for ID - i had none with me so we had to leave! if they ask you for ID, they won't be talked out of it so carry some at all times - but not your passport in case you get mugged!
  • Options
    Amsterdam = shit hole.

There are far nicer places in the Netherlands.
  • Options
    Amsterdam = shit hole.

There are far nicer places in the Netherlands.

I can't believe you are a "rocker" and don't smoke dope.
  • Options
    Yeah, you got to be careful.
    I went there this summer. Woke up early one morning with a bad hang over, so I decided to go for a walk...

Got some bloke following me asking for money... this is nothing new, but he proper started following me! Wouldnt leave me alone!!

I just kept walking to a "busy" area and he then left it!

I think you will be ok over there, just stick with your mates and ignor people on the streets asking for money or tryig to sell you drugs!
  • Options
    Thanks everyone, was planning the trip early next year and had heard they changed as of january. Anyway, am gonna book the tickets because i cant find anything anywhere about law changes so just hope there havent been any.
  • Options
    Nope, I went last month and the worst there was was getting asked for ID, which is no problem. Didn't get mugged, followed, threatened, overcharged, anything. It's a great place, streets are clean, it's easy to walk round, general things like that. Stayed in a pretty poor hotel though...But I would reccomend going
  • Options
    I can't believe you are a "rocker" and don't smoke dope.

Where did I say I didnt smoke?
  • Options
    Anyone have any good hotels they'd like to reccomend??

Dont want to get stuck in one that doesnt let us bun in the rooms, do you think its best to book one before we go or do it there??

Muchos Gracias again people...
  • Options
    ~playboy~ wrote:
    Anyone have any good hotels they'd like to reccomend??

Dont want to get stuck in one that doesnt let us bun in the rooms, do you think its best to book one before we go or do it there??

Muchos Gracias again people...
    I stayed in the hotel Cordial which was on Rokin, one of the main roads near the center. They let us smoke in the room, which was always good.
    Me and the person I went with thought it would be a good idea to get a place near to the center, but it's really not necessary, next time I go, I plan to get a place a bit further out but spend the same money and go to a nicer hotel.
    Here's how I found a cheap hotel-Amsterdam Accommodation
    Have fun in Amsterdam :)
  • Options
    i would just like to point out that in December/january time amsterdam is fucking freeezing!! take lots of moitsuriser!

i went a couple of years ago with an ex for new year celebrations. we had a good time but we didnt go in the coffee shops that much. it is a pretty place though with all the little bridges. and of course the redlight district and the sex shops are fun.

some of it looked dodgy though, if i was with girl friends then i might have been a bit scared.
  • Options
    Where did I say I didnt smoke?

I've seen you mention drug users as scum before in P&D.
  • Options
    turlough wrote:
    I've seen you mention drug users as scum before in P&D.
    Maybe he was being a hypocrit :confused: