Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨

Aparently, Military occupation is no longer a 'legitimate Grip'

2»

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Teh_Gerbil wrote:
    The USSR was bad. The US seems to be just as bad.

you can't be serious. I mean, the U.S. is petty ruthless, but the USSR ranked right up with the Nazi's.
  • Teh_GerbilTeh_Gerbil Posts: 13,332 Born on Earth, Raised by The Mix
    you can't be serious. I mean, the U.S. is petty ruthless, but the USSR ranked right up with the Nazi's.

Are you ignoring what the US is doing Latley? The USSR was only really bad Under Stalin - and the leaders after that soon de-Stalinised alot of the stuff. The FBI and CIA are getting like the KGB these days - although MI5 aren't far behind.

We aren't the Free West anymore, in reality. The Internet is Policed, Websites go down, people are spyed upon and taken to Concentration Camps outside the US just for being suspected of Terrorism for God's sake. Even the guys in Guantanamo are there for no realreason. I used to think they were until I saw the kind of evidence they are held upon.

But I guess the people are blind to the future, as were supportes of such guys as Mao and Pol Pot and the like.
    Teh_Gerbil wrote:
    The FBI and CIA are getting like the KGB these days...
    agreed, they're like the fourth branch of a three branch federal government.
    We aren't the Free West anymore, in reality. The Internet is Policed, Websites go down, people are spyed upon and taken to Concentration Camps outside the US just for being suspected of Terrorism for God's sake. Even the guys in Guantanamo are there for no realreason.
    I'm not arguing that what you have said isn't true, it is true. But calling the U.S. as bad as the USSR takes it too far.
    I'm not arguing that what you have said isn't true, it is true. But calling the U.S. as bad as the USSR takes it too far.
    Ok, I understand that may offend you.

But you are getting pretty bad as I say... the slaughter of Civilians is like what the Soviets did. As are the conditions they are being kept in, and bully boy tactics you are using on other nations. It's getting worse, last thing we need it an angry superpower again. Could you like, shoot some Bush supporters so the next election if different, thanks? (Not that I beleive in abusing democracy. Ooh, you might even get it blamed on Death Metal or Videogames, rather than any failing of Society, we couldn't admit to that, could we?)
    It's opperating suspiciously like the Soviets all the time - who needs a reason to imprison people? Just say it is for good reasons and keeping people safe from EVIL Enemies of Western Freedom! (Or in Soviet Times, Enemies of the Revolution!)... comparison is worrying.
    Teh_Gerbil wrote:
    But you are getting pretty bad as I say... the slaughter of Civilians is like what the Soviets did. As are the conditions they are being kept in, and bully boy tactics you are using on other nations. It's getting worse, last thing we need it an angry superpower again. Could you like, shoot some Bush supporters so the next election if different, thanks? (Not that I beleive in abusing democracy. Ooh, you might even get it blamed on Death Metal or Videogames, rather than any failing of Society, we couldn't admit to that, could we?)
    It's opperating suspiciously like the Soviets all the time - who needs a reason to imprison people? Just say it is for good reasons and keeping people safe from EVIL Enemies of Western Freedom! (Or in Soviet Times, Enemies of the Revolution!)... comparison is worrying.
    I agree, it is.
    I agree, it is.
    Then please kill/lock up some republicans this election. :p
    Although to be fair, in the old USSR you wouldn't of been able to post a single thing you just posted about the US government.
    It all begins somewhere Jim. Better to recognise and challenge the consistency of principle being adopted by the supposed "land of the free" at an early rather than more advanced stage in the curtailment of civil liberties don't you think?
    The US isnt nearly as bad as the Soviets compaired to how they treat their own people, but they are not far off in tearms of how they treat other people around the world.
    Please give reasons?

If you knew anything about history I wouldnt need to.

All bollocks.

Bollocks.

The USSR was a dreadful tyranny of the worst sort - expansionist, aggressive, genocidal.
    expansionist, aggressive, genocidal

Less so than US military led expansionism.

Far less outside its borders than the US can lay claim to in more than half a decade of overt unprovoked transnational campaigns.

500,000+ slaughtered in illegal secret bombing raids in Cambodia. 500,000+ consigned to death through lack of adequate nutrition and medicines in Iraq due directly to sanctions kept in place by the dictat of Washington. Untold numbers slaughtered in direct attacks on cities and civilian infrastructure in Iraq, Afghanistan and in prior theatres of US aggression, to cite but a few. These, of course, preclude a plethora of genocidal economic practices built into our US-led global "debt" system.

Yep, once again Mat chronicles for us the categorical similarities between those our leaders and media have long villified and our own nations themselves.

Seems mat doesn't have much of a grasp on history either.
    Jim V wrote:
    Although to be fair, in the old USSR you wouldn't of been able to post a single thing you just posted about the US government.
    Scary thing is Jim, situation is not a million miles away in US soil.

When students and shoppers alike are arrested by the secret service/barred from shopping malls simply for wearing an anti-Bush t-shirt, you know things are getting bad.
    TEH GERBIL...your mates going to Afghanistan eh..yeah got some prtty good advice....first off..tell him..despite the illusion its gonna be boiling hot over there tell him to pack plenty of warm kit..trust at night the temperature really drops and even in the daytime sometimes up in the mountains gets pretty freezing..tell him not to over do it on the oil when he is weapon cleaning..it just attracts dust..and also tell him..if he can help it..if they are lying up not to breath with his face too close to the sand.the dust is really alkaline and burns ya lungs a bit..other than that just wish him luck and a safe Tour from a fellow British warrior.
    TEH GERBIL...your mates going to Afghanistan eh..yeah got some prtty good advice....first off..tell him..despite the illusion its gonna be boiling hot over there tell him to pack plenty of warm kit..trust at night the temperature really drops and even in the daytime sometimes up in the mountains gets pretty freezing..tell him not to over do it on the oil when he is weapon cleaning..it just attracts dust..and also tell him..if he can help it..if they are lying up not to breath with his face too close to the sand.the dust is really alkaline and burns ya lungs a bit..other than that just wish him luck and a safe Tour from a fellow British warrior.

Out of interest - if your serving over there - how do you feel about being there?
    It all begins somewhere Jim. Better to recognise and challenge the consistency of principle being adopted by the supposed "land of the free" at an early rather than more advanced stage in the curtailment of civil liberties don't you think?

Fair enough, though it feels like the US is more Rome than Moscow