Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨

Endemic cheating in the Premier League

BillieTheBotBillieTheBot Posts: 8,721 Bot
edited January 2023 in General Chat
Much as I think ManYoo get away with a lot of things a lot of the time (no way should O'Shea's header have been allowed to stand, but it wasn't deliberate cheating on his part) I don't suppose they're the only ones at it anymore.

Of course Rooney, RvN and Ronaldo are the worst at it, closely followed by Pires, but everyone's at it now.

Who else thinks Savage and Joe Cole should be getting 20 or 30 match bans for the disgraceful cheating they performed at the weekend?
Beep boop. I'm a bot.
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Yes, definitely. You probably know better than anyone on here that I hate cheating, and I can't stand it when Ronaldo dives - and he is one of my club's players!

He has in recent games had two legitimate penalty claims turned down - and I feel this is because the refs know he usually dives - the boy who cried wolf effect if you like. It's his own fault though, and I would never defend him for this. The problem is that it is, like you say, becoming a regular problem that is plaguing the game.

The FA 'dubious goals' panel and OPTA should do something useful with the footage for once, and sit and study videos of play acting rather than compliing shite stats (who wants to know how many long balls Phil Neville hit since joining Everton, or how many passes West Brom average per game?????). Anyone caught on cheating on video should be hit with 5 match bans, and massive fines. This would stop players from diving, as no club would employ any player who is out for 15/20 games per season would they?

Savage, Ronaldo, Pires, Drogba, Heskey, Cole, Robert etc would shit their pants, and actually have to learn to play fairly, or perish.

Players also need to start learning to respect referees more, and dissent would be (I mean enforced 100% as) a yellow card offence. Asking a ref to book a fellow player would be a red card. They would soon stop it.

The problem once again is that the FA pander to the needs of the select few big clubs.
    manickev wrote:
    He has in recent games had two legitimate penalty claims turned down - and I feel this is because the refs know he usually dives - the boy who cried wolf effect if you like.

Exactly the same thing happened to Baros this week. I haven't seen it but apparently he should have had a blatent penalty which wasn't given - 5mins after he'd been booked for diving.
    Anyone caught on cheating on video should be hit with 5 match bans, and massive fines. This would stop players from diving, as no club would employ any player who is out for 15/20 games per season would they?

Might as well just relegate Birmingham now. And it would get rid of Diouf so I'm up for it :thumb:
    Ego wrote:
    Exactly the same thing happened to Baros this week. I haven't seen it but apparently he should have had a blatent penalty which wasn't given - 5mins after he'd been booked for diving.

Yep, saw it. Serves him right at the end of the day. Refs are getting smart to who the divers are, and eventually it does begin to work against them. Problem is that some players have got that good at it over the years (Pires) that it is difficult to see whether it is a definite pen or not.
    If in doubt don't give it. Surely if between referee and linesman neither can say then it can't be given. Although it doesn't matter if it's Pires cos he can't kick a ball 12 yards anyway!
    Well sadly that's the way the wind's blowing these days. Sportsmanship has made way for money and increased pressure on players. It's a shite state of affairs that's true but nothing much anyone can do about it.

I just hope cricket doesn't go the same way.
    EVERY single manager of EVERY single club should sit EVERY diver down in front of a couple of Bestie videos and show them how balance, poise, skill and fair play gets them goals.

Diving is a European thing and unfortunatly is spread into the British game.

And don't get me started on play acting. Nothing more frustrating than an attacker being taken down and them rolling about 6million times as if they've been snapped in half and then standing up and smacking the freekick in from 35 yards. :mad:
    Diving is a European thing and unfortunatly is spread into the British game.

Yes totally agree, but isnt it the case taht these foreign managers train there players to dive in certain situations to make the match go their way, and in my opinion it seriously detracts from the enjoyment factor of football. Like you say sadly it is making its way into British football.

I also think that harsher penatlies should be handed out to ANYONE who dives and the governing body should do more to make playes realise it will not be tolerated. At the moment clearly players know that they can and will get away with it.
    Kermit wrote:
    no way should O'Shea's header have been allowed to stand

Why?

Actually I don't want to hear it.

You don't have a clue what you're talking about when it comes to footballing matters.

ETA: Congratulations to the boys for fine display, would have made Georgie proud. Come on Rooney :yes: .
    addicted7 wrote:
    Why?

Actually I don't want to hear it.

It was a blatant foul on Carroll.

Still, on another day you'd have had six. fair result, the goal just shouldn't have stood.
    Kermit wrote:
    It was a blatant foul on Carroll.

Even though the ref, linesman and keeper involved had no complaints... Pardew didn't mention it (to my knowledge) and none of the defenders appealed...

But hey, it was a foul.

NB Endemic cheating in the Premiership? Did you see the dive last night at Cardiff, Ipswich player sent off and penalty awarded. Funny how a arm pull seems to pull a player so hard that his legs seemed to be taken from under him...
    Personally I think Carroll made a complete balls of coming out for the ball, and jumped too late (and behind) O'Shea. If he'd have jumped in front of him it might have been different, but he didn't give himself any chance of winning that ball.

Even so, I have seen keepers get free kicks for less, but think they are overprotected anyway.
    NB Endemic cheating in the Premiership? Did you see the dive last night at Cardiff, Ipswich player sent off and penalty awarded. Funny how a arm pull seems to pull a player so hard that his legs seemed to be taken from under him...

I didn't see it, but it wouldn't surprise me to see cheating at Cardiff, a club that are only in the old D1 because of some rather dubious shenanigans.
    I'd also add how it's funny that Shearer gets away with elbowing. Especially given how Mary Poppins got his knickers in a twist after that Grimsby player did something half as bad.
    manickev wrote:
    Personally I think Carroll made a complete balls of coming out for the ball, and jumped too late (and behind) O'Shea. If he'd have jumped in front of him it might have been different, but he didn't give himself any chance of winning that ball.

Yes, that is exactly how I saw it. A fuck-up by Carrol - strange :rolleyes: .

Endemic cheating in the Premiership?

Go and take a look over in Europe. Even the world's greatest player resorts to a bit of it from time to time.

As for lower leagues, its less well reported but does happen. Take into account the stakes are not as high so players don't feel as much of a need but it still happens.
    Kermit wrote:
    I'd also add how it's funny that Shearer gets away with elbowing. Especially given how Mary Poppins got his knickers in a twist after that Grimsby player did something half as bad.

I heard about this too.

Perhaps the "preferential" treatment he gets is just another reason why he should have signed for United.

That and the fact that he's won fuck all for a player with his obvious ability.

"Alan Shearer was so much dearer, oh please don't take my Solksjaer away"