Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨

army 'gladiators' duel secretly filmed

2»

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Skive wrote:
    I know there have and I'm well aware of Deepcut. Where's the evidence of 'bullying' here though? :confused:

Sparring and nakedness doesn't equate to bullying.
    Unless the soldiers in question were participating willingly, it qualifies as bullying.

You can draw your own conclusions as to they were or not. Suffice to say that when one of them refused to take the gloves off and fight with bare fists the cunt in charge punches and kicks him in the face.

If that doesn't qualify as bullying I'm not sure what does.
    Skive wrote:
    What about him?

My mates and I used to spar with gloves until we one of us sparked out. What's so wrong with that.
    They weren't "sparring with gloves", he was kicked in the head. Hardly voluntary. It's not even bullying, it's a blatant assault.
    carlito wrote:
    Out of interest how many Royal Marines do you know?

A couple, or, to be more accurate, people at school who went on to become it.

They're not bad, but put it this way, I wouldn't want to get on the wrong side of them.

It's not a criticism, its merely an observation that you have to be a bit of a nutter to want to do those jobs. It's not always a bad thing, either.

It's a very fine line between initiation ceremonies and bullying, really. That's the trouble. Many places have initiation ceremonies, and its not bullying because everyone has to get thrown in the cold water, or whatever. It's not exactly tasteful, but them's the rules of joining.

This time I don't really see a problem. An initiation ceremony that went a bit too far, it happens. You should know all about it Aladdin, being a Wimbledon fan:p
    It wasn't an initiation ceremony - which are done on new recruits. The most junior of these Marines had been in a year.

The naked sparring was fine - the kick in the head was assault.
    One of my colleagues used to be in the Royal Navy, and he had a few stories of such "initiations" or whatever you want to call them. Naked wrestling sounds about normal for the forces.
    However, I think the kick in the head was a step too far.
    As others have said, there's a fine line between "initiations" and bullying.
    The officers and NCOs in charge of such events must be careful to ensure this kind of thing doesn't go too far over the top.

Remember Full Metal Jacket?
    But as most of you know most assaults and kind of things like these are dealt with internally. Making a big report about it just makes both of them look bad.