Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Working a second job, cash in hand

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I work 9-5 Mon-Fri in an office, and as from this weekend, I've also gone back to working weekend evenings for my old employer as a waitress. Obviously, I'm paid monthly for my main job, all properly taxed and NI'ed etc, but the second job is cash in hand at the end of every shift.

Now I'm not exactly watching over my shoulder or anything, but I know you're supposed to confess all wages to the tax man. Just randomly wondering, what are the implications if the tax man does find out? :yeees:

Comments

• Options
    if they find out the tax man will come round and chop your balls off..........that's if the tv licensing man hasn't found you already.
  • Options
    apollo_69 wrote:
    if they find out the tax man will come round and chop your balls off..........that's if the tv licensing man hasn't found you already.

And since when did "waitresses" have balls, exactly? :yeees:
  • Options
    I think you'd receive a bill. Not sure, really.
  • Options
    As if they'd ever find out.
  • Options
    Now I'm not exactly watching over my shoulder or anything, but I know you're supposed to confess all wages to the tax man. Just randomly wondering, what are the implications if the tax man does find out? :yeees:

Most likely you would be charged backdated basic rate 22% on your earnings as a waitress, plus any NI contributions too. I'm assuming you work full time in your 9-5 and all your personal allowance is used up there.

You can ring the tax office, confess all and give them an estimate of your annual earnings from your part time job. They can then stick a deduction in your tax code to collect the tax due.
  • Options
    If your employer is paying you cash-in-hand and he records it in his audit then you will need to declare it, or you could get in bother.

If he isn't recording it in his papers, then I personally wouldn't bother declaring it. The cunts thieve enough off us as it is.
  • Options
    ]You can ring the tax office, confess all and give them an estimate of your annual earnings from your part time job. They can then stick a deduction in your tax code to collect the tax due.
    :no:

I wouldn't bother with that nonsense. It's for the employer to sort out if he so desires. If this was your full time job, then I'd agree but as pocket money work, forget it.
  • Options
    Kentish wrote:
    :no:

I wouldn't bother with that nonsense. It's for the employer to sort out if he so desires. If this was your full time job, then I'd agree but as pocket money work, forget it.

I'm just giving the official line :blush:
  • Options
    Thanks for everyone's help and opinions :)

I'm not going to declare it - it's only gonna be about £100 in total over the whole of Xmas.

I just wondered if there would be a fine if I'm caught (highly unlikely, I appreciate) or if I just have to pay what I should have done.
  • Options
    As far as I'm aware, if you ever do get a fine off the inland revenue- it can never amout to more than what you would pay in tax for that tax year. I think
  • Options
    katralla wrote:
    As far as I'm aware, if you ever do get a fine off the inland revenue- it can never amout to more than what you would pay in tax for that tax year. I think

That only really applies to Self Assessment cases.