Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

BEST live gig

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Razorlight at Hull Uni. Quite a small venue for that attitude, was right at the front and shook Johnny's hand during In the City. Also the Arctic Monkeys in a Working Mens Club in Barnsley was awesome.

Outstanding show: Pulp at the Leeds Festival 2002. I wasn't a fan til I saw them live.
  • Options
    Franki wrote:
    I also thought Muse were not-that-good when I saw them at V last year...

(for the record).

lol!! chris wolstenholme had injured his wrist just before V so they had a stand in bassist! You cant judge that as seeing muse live at all, it;s very different for a band to play without their bassist.
    I'm afriad you're DEFINATELY (sic) wrong. I have seen Muse. I thought they were shit then. I still think they're shit now. Anything else to say bucko?

They play their songs to perfection live and have tons of energy on stage...You may not like the band but they are deff not shit live. Bet u were at V too eh. :wave: in that case you havent seen muse =)

Seeing a band without one of their members is bound to screw over how they play ...would ure metallica gig have been as good without kirk hammet?
  • Options
    I've seen muse live, they're alright. Definately didn't blow me away.

Now The Prodigy, that really will blow you away.
  • Options
    muse- wrote:
    They play their songs to perfection live and have tons of energy on stage...You may not like the band but they are deff not shit live. Bet u were at V too eh. :wave: in that case you havent seen muse =)

Yes they played their songs perfectly and yes they played with lots of energy. However, their songs are shit to start with. You can have all the energy in the world but at the end of the day, you can't polish a turd. I bet U2 and Coldplay play perfectly and with tons of energy but I wouldn't go and see them because they're shit anyway.

No I did not see them at V. I saw them at Reading a few years ago, think it was 2002. I have never ever been to the V Festival.
    muse- wrote:
    Seeing a band without one of their members is bound to screw over how they play ...would ure metallica gig have been as good without kirk hammet?

I have no idea. He was there as were James, Rob and Lars and it fucking spanked.
  • Options
    Outstanding show: Pulp at the Leeds Festival 2002.

I loved that show, the best thing was that they play a different version of Common People live and no bugger knew what it was :lol:

Muse are quite good, but they're not the best band ever. I enjoyed their Leeds 2002 set, they put on a good show, they're quite talented, I like their albums. I wouldn't crawl over broken glass to see them though; Ash, Pulp, NOFX, Foo Fighters, and ESP all did better sets than Muse at Leeds 2002. And bands like the Arcade Fire do better songs.

I saw Franz Ferdinand last night, they were good and put on a really good show. The set list could have been better though.
  • Options
    The Coral at Liverpool Uni when they first started out was absolutely fantastic. It was a small venue but great atmosphere.
  • Options
    the mars volta gig(s) in manchester are probably my favourite gigs i've been too, though their 'live album' is a bit shit.

GWAR was definately the most entertaining live show i've seen.

green day's show is good, but its so bloody repetitive its annoying, i don't think they've changed their act in 5 or 6 years. with heeeeeyyyy-oh's and onstage band and giving away guitars etc. gets stale after a few times
  • Options
    Teh_GerbilTeh_Gerbil Posts: 13,332 Born on Earth, Raised by The Mix
    Oh touché.

I'm afriad you're DEFINATELY (sic) wrong. I have seen Muse. I thought they were shit then. I still think they're shit now. Anything else to say bucko?

Well. How owned.

And to the Above, GWAR are quite fucking awesome. Seen recordings of them live... I want to now!
  • Options
    The Chemical Brothers at V2002. Good times.
  • Options
    I saw Muse live and thought they were awesome ... not the best live gig I've been to (can't decide what that would be) but still fucking amazing.

And at least their trying to do something different and original
  • Options
    Kermit wrote:
    I loved that show, the best thing was that they play a different version of Common People live and no bugger knew what it was :lol:

Ash, Pulp, NOFX, Foo Fighters, and ESP all did better sets than Muse at Leeds 2002.

That version of Common People was fucking amazing. It just sort of dawned on people what song it was one by one. It really was one of the highlights of the festival, much better than The Strokes a bit later on.

Muse, Foo Fighters, Electric Soft Parade and Mercury Rev did play good sets and The Music on the Carling Stage before GnR really was a great gig too.

I didn't see Ash but I did see them the year before and they were suprisingly good.
  • Options
    Kermit wrote:

Muse are quite good, but they're not the best band ever. I enjoyed their Leeds 2002 set, they put on a good show, they're quite talented, I like their albums. I wouldn't crawl over broken glass to see them though; Ash, Pulp, NOFX, Foo Fighters, and ESP all did better sets than Muse at Leeds 2002. And bands like the Arcade Fire do better songs.

I saw Franz Ferdinand last night, they were good and put on a really good show. The set list could have been better though.

3 DAYS TO GO!! :D

Were Editors and The Rakes any good live too?
  • Options
    Placebo at Brixton Academy was immense.

Hell yes, I was at the very same gig and it was amazing. That's been my best gig so far. Loved it, such an atmosphere as well as a brilliant performance.
  • Options
    I've only ever been to two real gigs (nothing I visit in Wrexham is 'real' really)...

Skin and White Stripes...

Both rock.
  • Options
    Kermit wrote:
    I saw Franz Ferdinand last night, they were good and put on a really good show.
    I saw them at V this year, and didn't think they were too good live. May have been something to do with their shit sound, though.
  • Options
    Franki wrote:
    I saw them at V this year, and didn't think they were too good live.

Festivals quite often aren't representative of how good a band is. Weezer were a bit poo at Leeds 02, because they were on in the middle of the day, but at Manc Apollo they were amazing.
    Cazzoo wrote:

The Rakes weren't owt special, the Editors were quite good.

The only disappointment was that I don't think FF had the set list in the best order.
    That version of Common People was fucking amazing. It just sort of dawned on people what song it was one by one. It really was one of the highlights of the festival, much better than The Strokes a bit later on.

It started raining so I didn't even bother staying for the Strokes. I went back to the tent and had a toke and a shag:p

Pulp threw a lot of people in that set, especially with Common People. I'd heard it before online and knew it, you could tell only the real Pulp fans did. Ending on Sunrise, which is my favourite Pulp song ever, was great.

I didn't think Mercury Rev were that good, they were a bit lost on the main stage. They played well, but they'd have been much better in the tent.
  • Options
    relentless wrote:
    The Coral at Liverpool Uni when they first started out was absolutely fantastic. It was a small venue but great atmosphere.
    I saw The Coral in Brixton a couple of years ago, they were ace. Really good, and their whole sense of style and everything was great. They were all dancing all over the place and overall it was a decent gig.
  • Options
    i dont have a favourite gig but i enjoyed Greenday, Oasis, Weezer and the first time i saw Blink182 in about 1997 or something, that was ace.
  • Options
    Kermit wrote:
    The Rakes weren't owt special, the Editors were quite good.

The only disappointment was that I don't think FF had the set list in the best order.

Oooh I was there too. Completely agree with the order of the set like - they should have saved Do Ya Wanna til later on I think...although This Fire was pretty awesome to end with :thumb:
  • Options
    Teh_Gerbil wrote:
    Well. How owned.

And to the Above, GWAR are quite fucking awesome. Seen recordings of them live... I want to now!

yeh how damn owned i got he stated his opinion hard at me.
  • Options
    candy wrote:
    Oooh I was there too. Completely agree with the order of the set like - they should have saved Do Ya Wanna til later on I think...although This Fire was pretty awesome to end with :thumb:

This Fire was quite good to end on, I just think the peak of the performance was Take Me Out, and it kinda tailed off from there. I don't think Jacqueline in the encore was the smartest of moves, either.

They were very good though. And so was the scenery:D
  • Options
    Alien Sex Fiend
    Alabama 3
    Nick Cave & The Bad Seeds
    Test Department
    The Ludes
  • Options
    i loved franz, both times ive seen them. Best gigs were Morrissey, joan Armatrading (just cos shes amazing, not cos it was a spectacular show or anything) Marilyn Manson and Iron maiden, the ukulele orchestra of great Britain, placebo, dillinger
  • Options
    muse- wrote:
    yeh how damn owned i got he stated his opinion hard at me.

Yup. Don't mess with the big boys.
  • Options
    **helen****helen** Deactivated Posts: 9,235 Supreme Poster
    Cazzoo wrote:
    3 DAYS TO GO!! :D

I saw Editors in July and thought they were fantastic :D
  • Options
    Blagsta wrote:
    Alabama 3

I saw them over the summer on Clapham common, they ruined a wonderful day of bands for me, I don't have a clue why they were high on the bill either! Just my opinion though, of course.
    **Helen** wrote:
    I saw Editors in July and thought they were fantastic :D

I abolutely love the album, I've played it to death! I could have seen them twice in July at the T-Mobile street gigs, but missed out both times.. :(

Will get to see them now though! :D Just hope they live up to my expectations..
  • Options
    Anybody seen QOTSA live, any good?
    One of my fave bands but i didnt rate their live show, saying that- ive only seen them at a festival.

Green Day, Foo Fighters, Kaiser Chiefs, Mylo were all great.

Seen The Rakes back in july and thought they were fairly good.

Reading through this thread im thinking the Noise and Confusion concert is going to be good- Oasis, Foo's, The Coral, Razorlight + others. Damn tickets better hurry up!
  • Options
    Cazzoo wrote:
    I saw them over the summer on Clapham common, they ruined a wonderful day of bands for me, I don't have a clue why they were high on the bill either! Just my opinion though, of course.

What bands did you rate then?
  • Options
    The prodigy at brixton accademy in December 1995 - possibly the best gig of my life - I wanted to go this saturday but tickets on ebay are going to for stupid money.

The levellers are wicked live - it was the first big gig i was ever allowed to go to with out a responsible adult present (I was about 15 ) and i got to go with all my friends which was really cool - though we missed the last train home and my dad had to drive all the way up to the centre of london to take us home because he didnt' belive in night busses - OMG i can't belive it was 13 years ago.

Best bands i've seen recently are GLC who were wicked and the paddingtons who i saw on monday.
  • Options
    Blagsta wrote:
    What bands did you rate then?

That day? British sea power and Yeti were brilliant.