Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

could i work with children

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
well heres the thing i have been self harming now for about 2 years ish and i wanna work with children always have done, but the thing is i know some people have told i wouldnt be able to unless i have stopped for more then a year wondering if thats true

any help!!

Comments

• Options
    littlemissylittlemissy Posts: 9,972 Supreme Poster
    Who told you that?

What a pile of crap.

It ain't true.
  • Options
    Don't be silly. Any employer or whatever who says that is being a twat. Just because you've hurt yourself, doesn't mean that you will hurt other people. Especially young children.

I don't think it will be that much of a factor.
  • Options
    For some jobs your mental health will be an issue, particularly working in stressful jobs with vulnerable children.

It depends what you want to do.
  • Options
    well college threw me off a child care course, and they said i need to stop before i could do it again, personally i think that was just the college being twats, just dunno what to think :crazyeyes :chin:
  • Options
    Whether they believed the course was too stressful for you and that why they suspended you... but I don't know.

As far as I know, there is no law about things like that. With children, it's more your past with children that they're worried about than your past with anything else. Although, obviously, if your mental health is deemed to be unstable, they might have something to say.
  • Options
    I work with children and am a self-harmer. It has never been an issue. My employer is unaware of my self-harming as I am discrete but my doctors are aware that I work with children. I have had a criminal record check and that seems to be enough.