Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Hum.

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Ok, so, I work in a wonderful little shop called Tchibo. Most of the time I quite like my job because I love some of the people that come in and I usually get on quite well with the people I work with. Buttttttttttttttttt sometimes (and including yesterday) I hate it so much. Yesterday I ended up crying at work because I felt like I couldn't do anything right at all, and that just made me feel so crappy. There's a lot of bitching about other members of staff, and there are times when I feel like there is a lot of hypocrisy. For example, something one of my friends (the girl who got me the job) said to me the other day - there is a girl who works in my shop who I shall call C, and she can pretty much get away with anything. Like, it's company policy to wear our hair tied up as far as possible, and everyone else would get told to put it up if they came in without having done so, but C regularly comes in with her hair down and nothing gets said (and she's usually on Coffee Bar too).

There is also the fact that I keep being put on really shit hours (12:30 - 6, or 12 - 4 which I'm on next Saturday - really annoyed me), when other people are put on longer hours. I am going away over Christmas (22nd December - 1st January), but it is to spend my first proper Christmas with my dad since my parents split up, so it's a bit of an exceptional circumstance and I wouldn't have asked for time off otherwise. But because of this, I got told "I don't usually let people go on holiday over Christmas, so if any of the Christmas temps are better than you, you could be competing for your job". I mean, I understand the logic, but I wasn't told until I asked for the time off that we weren't meant to take time off. But I think that because I'm taking the time off, she's decided to start giving me shite hours. I also get the feeling she thinks I'm bad at my job. I mean, I'm not perfect, but I'm hardly the worst there. Yesterday, for example, I felt like everything I did was wrong to them, and they just wished I wasn't there. I try my best, but it feels like because I'm different to the rest of them, they think I'm shit.

The whole place is just run on favouritism, imo, and me and one other girl appear to be at the bottom of the ladder. It just annoys me because I can't help being the way I am, and I do try my best to fit in with them, but they're different to me. I'm not bad at my job, I'm friendly and helpful to the customers, and although I might be a bit slow, I do (and this is purely from people's comments) make pretty fucking good drinks for people when I'm on Coffee Bar, but I feel like I'm shit because of some of the comments people make to me. I can't do ANYTHING quick enough. And it's annoying me. I'm debating getting another job, but I don't think I'd be able to get one with as good a rate of pay (£5.41 p/h) round here.

I just wanna know what people think? My mum thinks I should talk to them, but I'm really scared of doing in case they just fire me straight away. Sigh.

Franki

Comments

• Options
    My opinion is...if you hate your job or its causing you to get stressed out in your home life then you should try and find another place to work, where you would be happier. The money is good, but is it worth it? I'm sure there are loads of other jobs that you would feel a lot more happy about doing and within teams of people which are a lot friendlier. Maybe stay there until you have a bit of christmas spending money saved up and then leave.
  • Options
    i think you should definetly have a chat with them. they can't fire you straight away without reason can they if you speak out to them? Everybody makes mistakes once in a while and in most jobs there are always some sort of favouritism going on.

in my last job it was like "arselicking central" but i just got on with my job and if someone else was not pulling their weight and were getting the same pay as me i'd say so outright even if they were the mangers butt-monkey cos i couldn't give a fook! :p My old job was soooo clicky but there were some cool people there and as long as i did my job, the ppl ain't got nuffin on me :yuck:

ya can quit or ya can talk to someone about it....see if it improves and then go on from there.

hope i've made some sort sense l :)
  • Options
    i don't think they should really get away with basically saying 'watch out, you could lose your job because you're going away for a few days'. if you're unhappy then say something, even if you don't feel comfortable talking to any of the people who work there..how about someone higher up? i used to feel like i was made to feel small working at tesco, but they do it to everyone so it's okay. :yeees:
  • Options
    Well they cant fire you without good reason anyway and by the sounds of it you're a good worker. If you dont give them anything to be pissed off about you will keep your job. they cant fire you for simply taking time off, unless it was stated that you couldnt be off over xmas in your contract.
    Besides, if they want to be arsey to you then you can always do it back:
    My gf's boss has been being a right bitch to her, getting her to come in stupid hours (like a saturday, 1-3 - whats the point?), talks to her like shit and plays favourites with the other staff, my gf got another job(but only for saturdays) so her boss told her she couldnt work there anymore because of the new job but the bosses boss went over her head and gave my gf plenty of hours. i suggested she just quit like 3 days before xmas as its the bitchy boss who will be messed up because of it not the person above.
    Might be petty but serves her(the bitchy boss) right...
  • Options
    I don't know any of the higher-up lot. I don't think I've ever met our BDM (Business Development Manager) and I have no idea of how to contact him.

I'm severely tempted to start looking for a new job now, and if I get one before Christmas, tell them I'm quitting before I go on holiday, but I would hate to do that because most of the time they're really lovely. This is going to sound stupid but I hate talking to people about things that I'm not happy with in case it makes them hate me, because a lot of the time it might just be me being paranoid. I physically couldn't do it, I don't think. Blah I dunno. Saturday was the first time I've been on anything but 12:30 - 6 in about two months, and now they're just sticking me straight back onto shit hours again. If they put me on shit hours again the week after I'm going job hunting.

Sigh.
  • Options
    You shouldn't have to worry about your job safety tbh. They can't fire you without good reason and they can't say it's because of the holiday because they've allowed it. Just go, enjoy yourself. As for the staff, they sound a right bunch of bastards. Just ignore them and do the best you can. Nobody's perfect ffs. I get things wrong all the time, but I just blag my way through it. At the end of the day, it's only a ten-a-penny job.
  • Options
    You've never tried looking for a job in Braintree, have you? It took me months to find that job, and I only got it because one of my friends worked there and recommended me to them.

Sigh. I guess now I've got a lot more experience though, I could find it easier to get a job, but meh.