Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

End in sight for SKY's Premership TV rights monopoly

BillieTheBotBillieTheBot Posts: 8,721 Bot
edited January 2023 in General Chat
Beep boop. I'm a bot.
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    I'd disagree.

More taxpayers money from the BBC getting pissed down the drain.
  • Options
    I think this is good enough news...although it's not scientifically proven but i'm sure it's pretty well known that the majority of die hard football fans are working class people, and most working class people don't have access to sky unless the nip down to the pub, so it's good news, however I don't see BBC hosting that many matches, maybe 10 at most a year.
  • Options
    Think I'm right in saying their are 6 packages of 25 games, so if the BBC get it I presuming they will have 25 games?
  • Options
    There are 6 packages of 23 (I think) games, and no broadcaster is allowed to buy all six. All packages will have the same number of high-profile games so no package is more attractive than another.

Even if Sky outbids everyone else to 5 packages there will be one another available to a different broadcaster. For what's worth Kermit experts doubt the BBC or ITV are going to be able to bid for any... chances are it will go to another pay broadcaster such as NTL.

In any case Sky will have to bid hard in order to keep as much football as possible and to justify its ludicrous subscription prices. Regardless of who eventually wins most of the packages it is going to cost the Evil Murdoch Empire a lot of money, and Sky won't be as attractive to punters as it is now. That has to be a win-win situation for everyone else.
  • Options
    Aladdin wrote:
    In any case Sky will have to bid hard in order to keep as much football as possible and to justify its ludicrous subscription prices. Regardless of who eventually wins most of the packages it is going to cost the Evil Murdoch Empire a lot of money, and Sky won't be as attractive to punters as it is now. That has to be a win-win situation for everyone else.

It'll probably drive down prices, in fact, as there won't be enticement of being monopoly supplier.

If Sky have two games and NTL have two games, then Sky will bid lower, and probably concentrate on other sports, such as rugby union and cricket.

The Premiershit will feel the pinch, not BSkyB.
  • Options
    Is that such a bad thing? Seriously.

Do you think that the top flight clubs as a whole- as opposed to the big 3 or 4 who cream the immense majority of TV rights and sponsorship contracts- have benefited so much from the showers of cash that has rained on the Premiership, and the Circus it has all become?

Given the ever-falling attendances, the progressive abandonment of the concept of football in the community and by the growing debts and decline of all but the Big Clubs, I'd say the 'Sky Revolution' has done far more damage to English football than good as a whole.
  • Options
    Aladdin wrote:
    Is that such a bad thing? Seriously.

No I don't.

But I don't think seeing top-flight clubs going bust is a good thing either.

One of those things. I wouldn't be sad to see top-flight earnings, especially from players, drop in half.
  • Options
    To be honest I would still think the Premiership should make more money from this.

I know it's a very simple analogy, but in the same way as you'd make more money selling a property as 3 flats instead of 1 house, I can see more money being raised by selling 6 packages instead of a big one.
  • Options
    I don't, for the simple fact that no company can get a monopoly, and so the value of the product is immediately diminished.

Sky doesn't have the justification for its subs if you can watch other Premiershit games on NTL or Five. No other channel would either.
  • Options
    If there is any animated bidding- which I expect it to be- then the total amount raised could easily surpass anything Sky would have paid as a single package.

Even if (or rather, precisely because) most companies know Sky will end up buying all five packages if possible, they will happily bid for them to push the prices up and make Sky pay dearly. That's a common practice in auctions and I don't expect this to go much different. Sky can't afford to let too many packages let slip. The price of a subscription is dear enough as it is and if people could get a decent number of Premiership games elsewhere many would consider downgrading their package if not ditching Sky altogether in favour of cheaper options.