Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Annoying People Trying To Sell You Stuff

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
edited January 2023 in General Chat
Which places have you been to that really ruin your holiday by people constantly trying to sell you things?

I find a holiday to the beaches in Kenya for example is ruined by constant harressment from locals trying to sell you anything and everything. I can certainly understand for them it's their living but when you're trying to take a walk down the beach and all you get is person after person coming up to you with this and that to sell it starts to get on your nerves.
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Options
    Teh_GerbilTeh_Gerbil Posts: 13,332 Born on Earth, Raised by The Mix
    Teneriffe.
    Portugal.
    Cyprus.

It's funny. Just say something that isn't a word at them. Like Legmcflickosuarus.

Or alternatley, swear at them in Russian. But theym ight just know Russian. :shocking: I don't know, it should be illegal. "Hi, would you like timeshare?" "No, would like like to get lost and not bother me again?"
  • Options
    your obsession with all things russian is just as gay as jake0
  • Options
    Teh_Gerbil wrote:
    I don't know, it should be illegal. "Hi, would you like timeshare?" "No, would like like to get lost and not bother me again?"

Cyprus, Malta, Tunsia (not time shares thought just anything and everything)
  • Options
    Cairo was pretty bad for that. But then you have to remember that the tourist trade that they get from selling their stuff is everything to a lot of the folk.
  • Options
    Laganas, Zakynthos. In Greece

If you're on the beach you always get these men coming up asking you to buy their CD's!!! One after another :banghead:

The holiday wern't spoilt by it though, still had a great time! :yes:
  • Options
    Those kind of people are everywhere. They're annoying at first but you thank them when you stumble out of a club at 3am and they're there selling chocolates and fags. Or at least they do here.
  • Options
    I don't mind it if they stop pestering when you say "no thank you", which they did without exception in Kampala. I actually liked having newspapers, bottled water and snacks offered in the rush hour gridlock. Good service.
  • Options
    goa and tunisia were the worst. the indians were very polite, but verrry persistent (i guess you would be if that was your sole income). the tunisians were kinda scary at times.

i found learning how to say 'sorry, i don't speak english' in an obscure language helps.
  • Options
    When i went to ibiza with my family a lookie lookie man was pestering us to buy things so when he said 'here you wanna laser pen??' my dad just said, thanks, took it off him and walked off. He gave it back in the end but it pretty much embarrased the seller as all his mates were laughing at him.

And on another note, timeshare is the most stupid idea ever, nobody buys these things except if they are quite quiet or shy and it gets forced onto them. The timeshare salespeople were really bad in teneriefe, one guy followed us all the way down the beach so in the end i had to basically threaten to beat the shit out of him unless her f'ed off. It shouldnt have had to get that far though, a polite 'no thank you' should be enough!
    Its because of this that i've given up using manners for people trying to get money out of me on the streets, i just blank them now or if they are persistant, get nasty to them. seems to work well.
  • Options
    Bulgaria was quite bad for this in some parts, in one city every 5 minutes we had dodgy looking men coming up to me saying "u want change my friend" most probably fake or discontiuned currency aswell!!

Also we walked down through a market as a short cut and every stinking stall holder was almost physically pulling me over to look at their cheap fake branded trainers for little over 60p!! Have to learn that sales tactics such as these just dont work, or at least they dont for me!!

But overall still had a brilliant time there