Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

ever worked in a fone shop paticurlarly phones4u?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
what was your experience of it please? thanks

Comments

• Options
    Nope.
    But the hard sell springs to mind.

Phones4u is owned by this bloke: http://www.caudwell.com/
  • Options
    personally thnk fones4u suck, they barefaced lied to me to try and get me to sign up with them, reckoned i could get a better deal with them....

o2 - 500 free txts,200 free mins, £30 a month

3(through f4u) 300 free texts, 300 free mins £40 a month

even though im a texter, not a talker :chin:

anyway, my mate worked for them and said its really pressurised.
  • Options
    1. This should be in "Work and Volunteering". Click on "thread tools", and move the thread to that forum.
    2. They're good employers if you enjoy pressurised sales environments. Some people don't. If you don't like it, then they will be a crap employer, as much of your wage is made up in commissions which are earned through hard-selling products and services. If you thrive on the pressure then you'll probably like it, some people do.
  • Options
    You might want to learn to spell the word 'phone' before going for a job selling them.
  • Options
    Did you have trouble working out what 'fone' had been shortened from?! It was hardly gobble-de-gook just a quick slip of the mind thanks to my younger years chatting on msn :rolleyes:
  • Options
    Dianne1985 wrote:
    Did you have trouble working out what 'fone' had been shortened from?!

No, I didnt, but if you had put that on an application form I would have thrown it in the bin straight away.
  • Options
    Anyway, that aside, heres my situation. My fiance took me to my local phones4u about 2 weeks ago to get me a contract phone. When we were there I noticed how the staff all seemed to get on well with each other and had 'a laugh'. When I came out i thought to myself that it looked a nice place to work. And from that i thought about how i'd prefer a more office(ish) based job where i got to dress smartly and knew the job-in-hand inside out. As I have relevant secretarial qualifications this spurred me on to look for receptionist/secretary work. While i was looking through the computer at the jobs i looked on the offchance to see if there was a job at the phone shop. or the past two weeks I have been checking what new jobs have been added to see if there are anymore secretary placements, when i clicked 'Todays latest jobs' i found a job at the phones4u shop that had started all my thinking and i'm quite tempted. Its 42.5 hours a week, with a yearly wage of 10,750 plus commision. The advert states that the job is as 'sales cashier' all training will be given , duties include dealing with customers, selling phones and any other allocated tasks. I am very tempted but i arent comfortable on being a pushy sales person. Yet this position may be as a cashier who is approached not the approachee as i have seen one girl in there working who couldnt complete 'contract sales'. I can be friendly and talkative as my current job is as a careworker so im used to dealing with people, just not sure if i will have to be a 'pouncer' in this role...

any ideas?
  • Options
    bongbudda wrote:
    No, I didnt, but if you had put that on an application form I would have thrown it in the bin straight away.

Well I would proof-read an application form!!! I'm not too worried about changing the 'ph' of a word to an 'f' on the internet, but if i was writing a document that requires high-register then I would be careful. Surely this is obvious anyway?!?!?!

I hate responding to a negative comment and rising to it but i refuse to be dumbed down just because I have relaxed my style of writing on a website forum!
  • Options
    Dianne1985 wrote:
    Anyway, that aside, heres my situation. My fiance took me to my local phones4u about 2 weeks ago to get me a contract phone. When we were there I noticed how the staff all seemed to get on well with each other and had 'a laugh'. When I came out i thought to myself that it looked a nice place to work. And from that i thought about how i'd prefer a more office(ish) based job where i got to dress smartly and knew the job-in-hand inside out. As I have relevant secretarial qualifications this spurred me on to look for receptionist/secretary work. While i was looking through the computer at the jobs i looked on the offchance to see if there was a job at the phone shop. or the past two weeks I have been checking what new jobs have been added to see if there are anymore secretary placements, when i clicked 'Todays latest jobs' i found a job at the phones4u shop that had started all my thinking and i'm quite tempted. Its 42.5 hours a week, with a yearly wage of 10,750 plus commision. The advert states that the job is as 'sales cashier' all training will be given , duties include dealing with customers, selling phones and any other allocated tasks. I am very tempted but i arent comfortable on being a pushy sales person. Yet this position may be as a cashier who is approached not the approachee as i have seen one girl in there working who couldnt complete 'contract sales'. I can be friendly and talkative as my current job is as a careworker so im used to dealing with people, just not sure if i will have to be a 'pouncer' in this role...

any ideas?

And I am well aware that the grammar in this post is below par but it is too long winded to re-write so apologies to anyone reading it who can't quite follow
  • Options
    I used to work in an O2 shop in Belfast for a while. It's pretty good and easy enough because even if you know nothing about phones (like me) you pick it up quick enough. I wasn't working for commission though because I was just temping so I wasn't pushing clueless people into buying stuff they didn't need. It's a good job if you like working in small teams and know how to spin off a few lines of jargon.