Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Resigning

Hello.

I have to hand in my notice tomorrow, and I'm rather apprehensive (which I suppose is normal) about it.

It's quite a small close-knit company, and I've not let on that I have been planning to leave. I suppose this is normal, as you don't hand in notice until you have accepted a formal job offer. Accepted a new job today, so can give a months notice tomorrow.

I'm just worried about it coming out of the blue, and although it's for personal reasons (I work from home, and am feeling isolated), them taking it the wrong way. I also need to use this company as a reference.

Any advice to make it a bit easier? I'm not always that good at wording things (I'll tell them over the phone and follow it with a letter, as they're based about 300 miles away).

Beep boop. I'm a bot.

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    bad seed wrote:
    (I'll tell them over the phone and follow it with a letter, as they're based about 300 miles away).
    I think that's reasonable.

All you are obliged to do is inform them that you are resigning your position and the last date of employment. If you have enjoyed the job and, more to the point, need them as a reference, it would be wise to say something about what you have got out of the job and your reasons for moving on.
  • Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Kentish wrote:
    I think that's reasonable.

All you are obliged to do is inform them that you are resigning your position and the last date of employment. If you have enjoyed the job and, more to the point, need them as a reference, it would be wise to say something about what you have got out of the job and your reasons for moving on.

I'll say nice things, and mean them, as they're not horrible people.
    I just know it's not easy for a company (especially of this size) to have someone leave, and to recruit someone new.