Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Aged 16-25? Share your experience of using the discussion boards and receive a £25 voucher! Take part via text-chat, video or phone. Click here to find out more and to take part.
Options

Schizophrenia

I've kept this off the boards for as long as possible, because it's something I'm rather ashamed of, slightly embarrassed of even. For a while now, I have been seeing a therapist. Now, he's spent the last few weeks trying to work out what exactly is wrong with me. Earlier this week, he suggested that I may have a form of schizophrenia. I'm going back next week to have tests done to find out for sure what this is, but in the meantime - what is schizophrenia? I know almost nothing about it.

I'll try and reply now to anyone's questions, but I won't be online from Friday to Monday as I'm in London, meeting some of you. I'll get back to all of you soon as I can. xxx
Beep boop. I'm a bot.

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    it can come in many forms i think, i have a friend who is mildly schizophrenic because he kinda has a slight double personality
    im not sure exactly how its diagnosed
  • Options
    It is emphatically not the same as split-personality disorder.

Schizophrenia is a mental illness which manisfests with delusions and sometimes hallucinations (visual and aural). You are correct in saying that it is a disorder of varying severity.

There are also personality disorders which have some of the features of schizophrenia, but that's where it gets complicated and my knowledge stops.

I'm sure you can Google for detailed information, and try sites from charities such as SANE.
  • Options
    hey danny,

there's a site you might find useful - Schizophrenia.com

i really don't know much on the subject but you know where to find me if you want someone to talk to.

jane :)
  • Options
    also www.emental-health.com

this has alot of info on schizophrenia as well as other mental health issues
  • Options
    Kentish wrote:

Schizophrenia is a mental illness which manisfests with delusions and sometimes hallucinations (visual and aural). You are correct in saying that it is a disorder of varying severity.

There are also personality disorders which have some of the features of schizophrenia, but that's where it gets complicated and my knowledge stops.

I'm sure you can Google for detailed information, and try sites from charities such as SANE.
    i dunno details but thats what he was told
  • Options
    I think Kentish summarised it really well.

SG- Do you know why your therapist thinks that? If you wouldnt mind updating us, id be interested to know what led him to that possible diagnosis.
  • Options
    Kentish wrote:

THANK YOU
  • Options
    that mental illness is what i hate to the mottom of my heart, and someone that i know has this ilness, it ripps a person apart, family, freinds, social life, IF NOT TREATED,

Stargalaxy, go to ur appointment, do whatever the therapist says, go to ur GP, go fukin private anything at this early age it could hit u!!!

do u smoke weed? anyone from u family got the mental illness? mother, father, grandparents?
  • Options
    Though I'm not gonna produce any facts and info about it, seeing a therapist and being diagnosed as potentionally having a mental illness...is nothing to be ashamed of or be embarrassed about. It is also not the end of the world.

My cousins have schitzophrenia, and it does not dictate their lives. They have schitzophrenia, it is controlled and they leave perfectly normal lives.

:)
  • Options
    O.B wrote:
    that mental illness is what i hate to the mottom of my heart, and someone that i know has this ilness, it ripps a person apart, family, freinds, social life, IF NOT TREATED,

Stargalaxy, go to ur appointment, do whatever the therapist says, go to ur GP, go fukin private anything at this early age it could hit u!!!

do u smoke weed? anyone from u family got the mental illness? mother, father, grandparents?

no he doesn't , and not that he is aware of.
  • Options
    Hiya

You may find our article on schizophrenia helpful.

I hope you get some answers soon. It's understandable that you feel reluctant to talk about this, but remember that this is a place where you won't be judged.

Take care :)
  • Options
    Though I'm not gonna produce any facts and info about it, seeing a therapist and being diagnosed as potentionally having a mental illness...is nothing to be ashamed of or be embarrassed about. It is also not the end of the world. My cousins have schitzophrenia, and it does not dictate their lives. They have schitzophrenia, it is controlled and they leave perfectly normal lives.:)
    Thanks, Malt. :)
    no he doesn't , and not that he is aware of.
    You know too much about me! :p:)

Thanks for the replies. Well, I went there yesterday morning and it's been confirmed. Yes, I have a mild form of schizophrenia. They've caught it in the early stages. Today, I'm starting a course of drugs to try and deal with it. The support of Malteser Monkay and Nicebutdim23 on the phone has been invaulable, I don't know what I'd have done without it.

Unfortunately, last night didn't go too well. I was staying at a "friend's" house. There'd been a lot of flooding so we were stuck there for several hours. We decided to get drunk, when she also decided to reveal her true views about it. She told me that "all you people with schizo are just freaks..." and talked a lot about how I wouldn't be able to find another job. :crying: As is the case so often though, Nicebutdim helped me get away from her. :)

I hope not all people think in that way, or this could be tricky.
  • Options
    hugs,

what sort of tests were they?
  • Options
    hugs,
    what sort of tests were they?
    Firstly, I just want to say I don't know if the tests are always the same ones. I'm just going to say what they did with me. They started, for some reason, with word association tests. What that had to do with schizophrenia, I don't know, but I did it anyway. Later on, they gave me a "brain scan" as I called it, I think he was checking chemical levels in the brain, I didn't ask, too damn scared.
  • Options

Need to add a word here - uncontrollable.

Everyone hallucinates, both aurally, visually and otherwise. When you can't stop it happening it's a problem, otherwise theres no problem. Most people call this phenemenon "thinking".

Good luck mate. It's well worth questioning everything you get told.
  • Options
    Sikorah wrote:
    SG- Do you know why your therapist thinks that? If you wouldnt mind updating us, id be interested to know what led him to that possible diagnosis.
    To be honest, it all came rather out of the blue.
    klintock wrote:
    Everyone hallucinates, both aurally, visually and otherwise. When you can't stop it happening it's a problem, otherwise theres no problem. Most people call this phenomenon "thinking". Good luck mate. It's well worth questioning everything you get told.
    I get some hallucinations, but there are more delusions than anything else.
  • Options
    klintock wrote:
    Everyone hallucinates, both aurally, visually and otherwise. When you can't stop it happening it's a problem, otherwise theres no problem. Most people call this phenemenon "thinking".
    I don't quite understand what you mean here. Hallucinations are not normal phenomena. Maybe you are thinking of illusions, which can be normal experiences.

SG, get more detailed info here. Good luck.
  • Options
    I don't quite understand what you mean here. Hallucinations are not normal phenomena.

The most common hallucination is the negative hallucination of failing to see your car keys right in front of you. It's a totally normal everyday phenomenon.

Don't think you hallucinate?

As you read this, do you have a voice inside your head that speaks the words to you?

If I type the words "blue elephant" do you see something to make sense of the words?

How about if I ask you to think about the feeling of being kissed softly on the cheek?

Many people do experience those things as they read the words. Is there a real voice that you are hearing? Nope, it's an internal one. Some schizophrenics can't tell when they are hearing an internal voice as opposed to an external one. Hence the need for the word uncontrollable.

You can tell the difference between internal experience and external experience (I hope) if you can't then that's where the problems can lie.
    I get some hallucinations, but there are more delusions than anything else.

Again, everyone has them. If they are getting in your way then it's a problem, otherwise, so what?
  • Options
    klintock wrote:
    The most common hallucination is the negative hallucination of failing to see your car keys right in front of you. It's a totally normal everyday phenomenon.

Don't think you hallucinate?

As you read this, do you have a voice inside your head that speaks the words to you?

If I type the words "blue elephant" do you see something to make sense of the words?

How about if I ask you to think about the feeling of being kissed softly on the cheek?

Many people do experience those things as they read the words. Is there a real voice that you are hearing? Nope, it's an internal one. Some schizophrenics can't tell when they are hearing an internal voice as opposed to an external one. Hence the need for the word uncontrollable.

You can tell the difference between internal experience and external experience (I hope) if you can't then that's where the problems can lie.
    I think you're getting confused. You haven't listed true hallucinations there.
  • Options
    I think you're getting confused. You haven't listed true hallucinations there.

The first one is a true hallucination, common to every sighted person in existence, the experience of failing to perceive something that is really there. The second set are examples of hallucination if you are considered "schizophrenic." They aren't hallucinations for you because you can tell the difference between internally generated experience and externally generated experience, the inability to do this is the core of schizophrenia, neh?

It's also the core of most of the arts, the ability of engineers to go somewhere empty and visualise buildings so well that they can measure them in their minds and all sorts of other useful human stuff. Course, if you are imagining things that benefit everyone else they won't lock you up for it.

So, no confusion here old chum. If you can't tell whether a voice is internal or external, that's a true hallucination. Question is how does a "normal" person differentiate between them and how do you help someone who can't do it like those who can.

So, how do you know the difference between hallucination and reality?
  • Options
    klintock wrote:
    The first one is a true hallucination, common to every sighted person in existence, the experience of failing to perceive something that is really there.
    That's an illusion, not a hallucination.
    So, how do you know the difference between hallucination and reality?
    To someone with schizophrenia, the hallucination is reality. But they would be alone in seeing or hearing it.

It's not worth worrying about, but you should really be clear about what you mean. Hallucinations are by definition abnormal.
  • Options
    That's an illusion, not a hallucination.

Sorry Kentish, you are just wrong about that. It's a negative hallucination, very useful for us hypnotists.

http://www.google.co.uk/search?hl=en&lr=&oi=defmore&defl=en&q=define:HALLUCINATION
    To someone with schizophrenia, the hallucination is reality. But they would be alone in seeing or hearing it.

Ah, but how do you know what's real and what isn't when there is no-one else around? You must have an internal mechanism for it, same as I do. How else do you know the difference between imagining a blue elephant and there actually being one in your front room?

It's this mechanism that a schizophrenic is lacking.
    It's not worth worrying about, but you should really be clear about what you mean. Hallucinations are by definition abnormal.

I was clear. I know for a fact that hallucinations are everyday experiences for the vast bulk of people. Regardless, let's just wish SG good luck.
  • Options
    Here's a helpful glossary of commonly used terms in psychiatry.

Hallucinations are not limited to schizophrenia, but I dispute that they are a normal daily occurrence. Negative hallucination is not I term I'd use in any case.

Of course we wish SG well.
  • Options
    Negative hallucination is not I term I'd use in any case.

It's from clinical hypnosis and is a daily occurence for most people, as is some dissociative form of behaviour - i.e. "waking up" at the end of a long car journey with no memory of it having happened.

Both forms that the webpage defines are actually results of trance - hypnogogic and hypnopompic both being trance states. They are usually resulting in suggestibility and carry over from dreams or from local misinterpreted stimulus.

Guess we'll just have to disagree then.
  • Options
    I'll bow to your superior knowledge. The term simply isn't used in everyday psychiatry.
  • Options
    maybe people get confused between things like day dreams and stuff and hallucination
    what would be a true hallucination?? (obviously not counting those when you're high on something)
  • Options
    Got told one once were a man could see a horse all the time, large as life. Others I have heard of are talking plugsockets, and on the negative side, peope who claim they have no head.

The difference between them and thinking is conscious control usually.
  • Options
    I didn't expect there to be a debate on this thread about hallucinations, but it's certainly got me thinking! It was surprisingly helpful. Well, I've started my medication yesterday and so far, feeling nothing different. No side effects, but I suppose it's early days yet. :)
  • Options
    that's really not apropriate in a serious thread.
  • Options
    Klintock I suppose you are nearly right, but I have a condition where I really can't stop the visuals I see and it's nothing to do with association, it's a reality that I can't do anything about.