Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

gcses worth the stress?

2»

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Kermit wrote:
    For the record, I had piss-poor GCSE results (a shedload of Bs).

What rubbish, B's are good, I got nothing higher than a C and a couple of failures.
  • Options
    I'm in agreement with a number of people here!

GCSE's will feel stressful at the time. I was pulling my hair out but they act as a doorway. Needing, as Kermit has said, 5 A*-C grades inc. math and english were essential to me getting into 6th form. I managed mine fine, though at the time, I thought I was doing rubbish and would hardly manage to scrape C's at the best. One of my friends got C's, D's and E's and he managed to get into the same 6 form as he had enough C's to pull him through. My 6th Form only asked for a B in maths for taking a psychology course, as it included stats and they wanted to be sure I could cope with it.

As for thinking you have pants marks, at AS and A level, every single Dance and Drama essay I wrote got U's. It was intensely disheartening and got me down immensely as I felt I must have been missing something. A week before my exam, some practice essays were marked and came back U's. Still gutted...in my exam I got A's in my drama and dance essays. I wrote to the same standard, answered questions that are practically exactly the same as the practice essay ones. They do downgrade you, to make you work that touch harder. A U to an A is ridiculous but still. It made me try that touch harder whether I realised it or not.

Don't over stress, you only know what you know at the end of the day. Write notes, you'll be surprised how much you actually know, but will only muster back into your mind when the time comes to.

You will be ok, revision guides are incredibly helpful and a good tool to kick start your memory and to help you through homework and tough exercises. GCSE's are worth it. Mine don't matter now, my A levels got me to Uni, so they don't matter now. Just keep going :)
  • Options
    Yeah but 5 passes won't exactly get you into a top university. Especially if you haven't done your A-levels so the GCSEs are what they'll go on to see your aptitude.
  • Options
    yeah well today we had an assembly about 6th form, tis very confusing
    theres a list of the stuff they offered last year, and a list of other subjects that other 6th forms that we have links with there aswell, including pshychology and sociology which are what i want to do, i was tempted to do human biology aswell but im not too sure now, but i dunno what english to go for, then i have to pick another one too and i dont knoooooow!
    theres another meeting tonight so im going to that

my school said they want at least 4 A*-C's but preferably 5 to do AS/A levels

then for those who dont do so well they can get in with lower grades but do easier courses, they have to do a year of something or other, get a merit or distinction then they can go onto an AS level and so on
  • Options
    oh, we had subjects that were offered at the boys school and the college that we could do but it all got VERY confusing. they only wanted us to do one at another school and then there was the whole fitting it into the time table thing...

as for english, we could either do english literature or english language and literature. i did the last one, i'd recommend it but if you're more into reading then go for literature. :thumb:
  • Options
    and ended up with 4 A's, 1 B and 4 C's because of self-teaching. It is possible.

I taught myself... I decided (cleverly) to go down with glandular fever halfway through Year 11 last year. I'm still recovering!!!

But even htough I'm the most useless person in the world, I managed to teach myself. Set yourself a timetable, allow some flexability in it for occasional going out etc (trust me, you need it) and STICK TO IT. I attended Year 11 for only 68% of my classes, and none of my 'revision weeks' we had instead of having extra weeks of study leave....

I came out with 4 A's, 7 B's and 1 C.

Next week I'm going to get my certificates and I'm going to be DAMN PROUD doing it. I'm tempted to force my boyfriend to skip work so he can be there too.

Ballerina just remember - don't let them upset you. Do the best you can, and it'll all work out in the end. There's always an option and this time next year you'll be giggling at all the current Year 10's in your school panicking :yes: . As I am currently. (mean I know..... but older family members are made for something)
  • Options
    Ballerina, if they get poor GCSEs they can do a GNVQ (Generally Not Very Qualified as the wags at my school had it) and the progress on from there.

I wouldn't worry about not getting in if you are getting Cs in your mock work. Teachers mark mock work harshly to stop people being lazy.

As for which English to do, I love English Language. It was quite easy work, but it was also really interesting- the sociology of linguistics fascinates me, at least.

Don't worry about what A'Levels to do yet, you won't need to know for ages.
  • Options
    I'm doing my GCSE's now and I'm just one of those people that can't revise.. but with exams I've done so far, with no revision.. I've done pretty damn well! But when I do try and revise, I do crap. It's like when I read over something to revise, I forget everything else and I do bad. Meh.
  • Options
    If you "can't" revise, you're not doing it properly.

You need to sort out your revision skills, because revision isn't going anywhere if you want to do well.
  • Options
    Kermit wrote:
    If you "can't" revise, you're not doing it properly.

You need to sort out your revision skills, because revision isn't going anywhere if you want to do well.

:yes: For me personally, it's reading and making notes/bullet points
  • Options
    making notes/bullet points

I usually try to use all of my senses when studying. Will most certainly give you results - at least from my experience. I have a different grading system though.

Sight - read and improvise.
    Sound - Listen to yourself or another person - could be in your iPod headphones or a friend.
    Touch - Make a puzzle.
    Smell - I don't really know what to say here.
    Taste - :p

In the end, it's up to the individual because studying techniques varies in efficiency from person to person.

Also, how you have worked the whole year and how good you are in the subject affects you.
  • Options
    Well, I'm a seasoned crammer and it worked fine for me.

Anyways, GCSEs aren't worth the paper they're printed on. Unfortunate for those who have to take them but they're not worth panicing over.
  • Options
    oops didnt see the revision thread
  • Options
    Anyways, GCSEs aren't worth the paper they're printed on.

For most people they are.

GCSEs are important, until you have something better. They're only a problem if you don't have them.

Like any qualification, they only stop having meaning when you get one better.
  • Options
    didnt accepted to the main uni i wanted cos i got a C in gcse maths...

A level results were fine(ish)
  • Options
    I expect it was because of your A'Levels, unless you applied to Oxbridge.
  • Options
    i would have thought unis weren't to bothered about gcses as long as you had the a levels? though i suppose they want to check up on the old favourites, english maths and science
  • Options
    A lot of courses require a B in maths.
  • Options
    Ballerina wrote:
    i would have thought unis weren't to bothered about gcses as long as you had the a levels? though i suppose they want to check up on the old favourites, english maths and science

:yes: mainly just that i think, they like to see you have Cs in those. But then i guess it depends what course you apply for.

gcses always seem so much worse at the time but its still useful, if not essential, to have them.
  • Options
    The better universities do check that your GCSEs are ok but A-levels count for a lot more in terms of university applications.

Having said that a bizarre number of employers ask for results especially with online and automated application processes: I know a lawyer who was recently applying for a job online and despite being 31 and having two university degrees he was asked his gcse grades!

But don't stress too much.

Also it's worth noting that despite good gcse's you can still stuggle academically later. My results are proof:
    -GCSEs: 7 A*, 3 A
    -A-levels: Chemistry [A], Physics [A], Maths plus AS-level Economics [A]
    -UCL first year average: 2:2
    -UCL second year average 3rd class (passed 2.5 out of 4 course units)- only passed on aggregate with first year

Despite solid school results and working my arse off at uni I am struggling and fail lots of things.