Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

gcses worth the stress?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
edited March 27 in Work & Study
Ok so as most of you know, im in year 11, during the most stressful year in my life so far. Today i got a peice of roughly marked history coursework back and just scraped a C, (my target grade is a B) it was a real arse of a question and i missed alot of the lessons on it (councelling). I spent loads of time on it and ended up getting really frustrated over it at one point, but in the end i thought it would be at least a decent C. Whereas one of my friends didn't pay attention much, did it all the night before it had to be in 3 weeks after the original deadline and got an A. So i've been thinking, is all the time and effort we have to put into these gcses REALLY worth it for what they are?
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Options
    Sometimes I didn't think they were (I did my last exams in June) and for most of courses, I worked my arse off and came out with really crap grades, and the subject I seemed to struggle with most of the time, I got the best grade in. (Being taught properly by a proper teacher helped though)
  • Options
    Depends what you want to do with your life...I would argue that education is really important to give people the best start in life, however many of my friends who weren't quite so academic have excelled in their careers! I think everyone should at least have GCSE's though, but I do think there should be a good base of practical subjects offered at schools as learning "life skills" is perhaps more beneficial in the "real world".

I recently heard a news report stating that many school leavers can't even perform simple tasks such as filing and that is pretty basic, I think teaching work based skills would be a good thing at school! But I know how you feel and the best thing I can tell you is you have nothing to worry about, just try to concentrate on what you have learnt and your refresher lessons.

It is not unreasonable to expect a lower grade on a subject that you have not attended so frequently, your friend clearly has a flare for the subject, i'm sure you must find some subjects come naturally to you as well. As time goes by your GCSEs will become less and less important, they are simply a stepping stone to take you to the next place in your life. If you want to go to college you usually need five C's or above, so as long as you get them you can move to the next stage in your life!

But don't stress about them, that won't help you in the slightest!
  • Options
    Ballerina wrote:
    Ok so as most of you know, im in year 11, during the most stressful year in my life so far. Today i got a peice of roughly marked history coursework back and just scraped a C, (my target grade is a B) it was a real arse of a question and i missed alot of the lessons on it (councelling). I spent loads of time on it and ended up getting really frustrated over it at one point, but in the end i thought it would be at least a decent C. Whereas one of my friends didn't pay attention much, did it all the night before it had to be in 3 weeks after the original deadline and got an A. So i've been thinking, is all the time and effort we have to put into these gcses REALLY worth it for what they are?

Seriously ballerina, GCSE's are nowhere near as serious as they're made out and those predicted grades thingys are balls...just do what's needed and thats all...now A-levels and uni, different thing altogether.
  • Options
    turlough wrote:
    Seriously ballerina, GCSE's are nowhere near as serious as they're made out and those predicted grades thingys are balls...just do what's needed and thats all...now A-levels and uni, different thing altogether.
    i know thats the thing, i want to do a levels and uni so in a few years time my gcse grades are going to mean bugger all
    just teachers make it seem if you dont do well in your gcses then you're going to fail in life and become a gypsy or something
  • Options
    Ballerina wrote:
    i know thats the thing, i want to do a levels and uni so in a few years time my gcse grades are going to mean bugger all
    just teachers make it seem if you dont do well in your gcses then you're going to fail in life and become a gypsy or something

Don't know the specifics of the English system but i would imagine you'd need good GCSE results to do A-levels and then get to uni.
  • Options
    Spliffie wrote:
    Don't know the specifics of the English system but i would imagine you'd need good GCSE results to do A-levels and then get to uni.
    not a clue to be honest, i think it depends which a levels you want to do
    some 'worthfull' pupils (100 of them) were picked to go to this open day about different unis and stuff but i didn't get invited to go so i dunno
    i know its all about the C's in english, maths and science though
  • Options
    Ballerina wrote:
    not a clue to be honest, i think it depends which a levels you want to do
    some 'worthfull' pupils (100 of them) were picked to go to this open day about different unis and stuff but i didn't get invited to go so i dunno
    i know its all about the C's in english, maths and science though

I would imagine to sit an A-level you'd need a certain grade at GCSE for that subject - like an A or B.
  • Options
    When I was 16 I thought I was going to college and university.
    I went to college - it didn't work out.
    I got a place at uni - it didn't work out either, I had family problems to deal with.

You never know what's going to happen - and even in my job which is nothing particularly special, they demand at least C's in both Maths and English - they don't give a fuck about A-levels and degrees.

If I were you, I'd try as hard as you can. Even if they don't mean anything in the future, they are a good background in case things don't go the way you're planning.
  • Options
    I'd sit over with the GCSE's are stepping stones crowd. Whatever you want to do, you're going to have to build on them. Whether that's actual experience of a job, a vocational course / qualification or an academic degree, all will require GCSEs to an extent. But they aren't the be all and end all - if you go into the exam and do kinda well, you'll manage. Most a level colleges thingys want 5 A* - C grades and a B in the subject you're doing. Some colleges are more picky than others, but that's where it stands.

When you start A level however, the workload and work ethic is so different you may struggle if you're not good at kicking yourself up the arse. I did. To put it in perspective - I was the 'night before guy who gets As' and I got Ds in my first A level exam, whereas my friend who was the 'study study study and still don't do so well' got As! I think a large part of it is that you're playing to your strengths more at a level.

But anyway, are GCSEs important? A little bit, maybe.
  • Options
    most places expect gcses as more than standard these days, they may not seem important, and while many people excel at vocational careers, if you wish to go further, or wish to improve your chances, then gcses are the first stepping stone, once you go further they pretty much mean nothing, but to get there in the first place you need them, otherwise you wouldnt get anywhere
  • Options
    Uhm I dunno if this will help, but I had a lot of emotional problems when I was fifteen/sixteen (on anti depressents ect) and had difficulty with GCSEs... So I invested in a textbook and used a highlighter to highlight points of interest...

I also got some cheap GCSE type CD Roms.

Anyway, I hope it helps... I was undiagnosed with learning difficulties at the time and ended up with 4 A's, 1 B and 4 C's because of self-teaching. It is possible.
  • Options
    Uhm I dunno if this will help, but I had a lot of emotional problems when I was fifteen/sixteen (on anti depressents ect) and had difficulty with GCSEs... So I invested in a textbook and used a highlighter to highlight points of interest...

I also got some cheap GCSE type CD Roms.

Anyway, I hope it helps... I was undiagnosed with learning difficulties at the time and ended up with 4 A's, 1 B and 4 C's because of self-teaching. It is possible.
    i can't really 'teach' myself, i'm just not 1 of those people
  • Options
    Ballerina wrote:
    i can't really 'teach' myself, i'm just not 1 of those people

Surely you don't know unless you try?
  • Options
    Spliffie wrote:
    I would imagine to sit an A-level you'd need a certain grade at GCSE for that subject - like an A or B.

Yes, you do need to have a certain grade to do that subject at A-Level.

Ballerina - can't you get someone else to teach you? During my GCSEs (an at A-Level now) a friend of mine will teach me some maths stuff, if I ask him to...
  • Options
    you can only do your best. revision is the key, with focus on maths ,English and Science.

and if you don't do so well, you can re-take. hundreds of people do.
  • Options
    haha i remember being at school and being like omg this is so stressful, but seriously when you look back you'll realise you have much harder things to deal with in life. for example going to college/uni. yes, gcse's are worth the stress. put the hard work in now, and you'll reap the benefits later.
  • Options
    My GCSEs were a tough one. I was was falling apart at the seams and just going through them not making any more effort than I should have been. At the end of the day I did well in the subjects I liked, and knew I wanted to continue to A Level and not as well in the others. For example I study languages now at uni, and in my GCSEs I got A*,A,B,B in French, English Lit, English Lang and German. I got my B in Maths, but got DD in Science and E in ICT. No one with regards to my A Levels or uni gives a chuff. I could have got in without the B in Maths. Focus on what you want to do, espeicially if you've been struggling and having time off for counselling.
  • Options
    GCSEs are mainly pointless as they've become more of a political tool than an actual indication of a candidate's aptitude. Unfortunate for those who have to take them, yes, but true.

Plus there's the thing where they make the mock exams really hard to scare you into working really hard for the real things which aren't nearly as bad.
  • Options
    Its natural to stress about these things.

I really stressed about my GCSEs. I then stressed whilst doing my A Levels and wondered why I ever stressed about GCSEs. I then went to Uni and wondered why I ever stressed about A Levels. Lol.

yeh that's exactly it..it'll be something else next!
  • Options
    Teachers degrade your work, not worry examiners are much nicer with giving out marks. My predicted grades are very different to what i'm getting in class.
  • Options
    this time next year you'll wonder why you stressed and worried so much about them, trust me. but it's natural to. it all depends on what you want to do as to how important they are but you may as well try your best as you'll need decent-ish grades to go onto A-Levels and for most jobs too. i'm sure you'll be fine tho :-)
  • Options
    Yes, GCSE's are worth the stress.

Without the basics, having a decent career is difficult. Employers need to know that you're capable. They want to know that you can read, write, speak english and can do basic maths. Without GCSE's, you have no proof of your skills.

My sister, has no formal qualifications whatsoever, because she was forced to leave school just before GCSE's (she was bullied) and it's been so hard for her, just to get a job with a semi decent salary.
    At the age of 23 she's still only on £5 something an hour, and probably will be for the rest of her working life. Purely because she missed out on so much of her education.

Ilora x
  • Options
    GCSEs are one of those things that are only important if you don't have them.
  • Options
    GCSEs are not worth stressing over, but they are worth working for.

As kaff says, they're only important if you don't have them. So you need to make sure you do.

5 A*-C grades will give you a college place to do A'Levels.Your GCSE grades are sometimes taken into account by university admissions tutors, but not always. They are definitely worth working for, but not worth having a nervous breakdown over.

Your teachers will tell you they're the most important thing ever, because for the teachers they are. If everyone fails the GCSEs then the teachers don't get paid as much, and the schools gets taken under OfSTED control.

For the record, I had piss-poor GCSE results (a shedload of Bs) but got the best A'Levels in my school. They're something you need to make sure you get, but once you have them, they are an irrelevance.
  • Options
    Kermit wrote:
    For the record, I had piss-poor GCSE results (a shedload of Bs) but got the best A'Levels in my school.

That's hardly piss poor. I got 7 B's and 2 C's and I was pretty proud of myself, even though I know I could have done better.
  • Options
    That's hardly piss poor. I got 7 B's and 2 C's and I was pretty proud of myself, even though I know I could have done better.
    thats what i thought
  • Options
    Kermit wrote:
    5 A*-C grades will give you a college place to do A'Levels.Your GCSE grades are sometimes taken into account by university admissions tutors, but not always. They are definitely worth working for, but not worth having a nervous breakdown over.

Really? So how come I managed to et into 6th form with 1C, 2E's and several D's? (Actually, I think that the Head Of 6th Form would've taken a few things into account with me, here...)
  • Options
    Really? So how come I managed to et into 6th form with 1C, 2E's and several D's? (Actually, I think that the Head Of 6th Form would've taken a few things into account with me, here...)

wtf? no offence but that should no have been allowed. you're repeating your english/maths and science GCSE's again I take it?

My school had a 2 B's 3 C's minimum for you to be allowed back.
  • Options
    turlough wrote:
    wtf? no offence but that should no have been allowed. you're repeating your english/maths and science GCSE's again I take it?

My school had a 2 B's 3 C's minimum for you to be allowed back.

I'm only doing English (I managed to a C in maths) was going to do Science, but it clashed with another subject and I didn't fancy being at school on a Friday until 5 past 4 to do Science...

I did just about get into 6th form, BUT I've been told by the Head of 6th Form that she's going to keep an eye on me for 2 of the 3 subjects I'm taking...
  • Options
    Really? So how come I managed to et into 6th form with 1C, 2E's and several D's?

Because colleges and schools quite often suffer amnesia when it comes to their entrance requirements if courses aren't filled.

As a general rule, all colleges will say they want 5 A*-C grades at GCSE, including English and Maths. Some will negotiate downwards, but ones that are full won't.